Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • vicki2221
    • By vicki2221 1st Nov 17, 1:00 PM
    • 85Posts
    • 147Thanks
    vicki2221
    No interest in my house
    • 1st Nov 17, 1:00 PM
    No interest in my house 1st Nov 17 at 1:00 PM
    Hello. We listed our house on 10th October and have so far had no interest in it. The marketing report from the agent says they have sent dozens of emails and texts about it. It has been clicked on over 150 times. I know a few weeks isn't long but houses in our area usually go fast, we live right by a fast trainline to London and it's a popular commuter area. I thought we would have at least had a few viewings by now. This is our first house and first experience of selling.

Is this is a very quiet time of year for buyers? I don't know if our house is the problem or if this time of year is bad for selling.

The agent hasn't been overly insightful - just said hold your nerve or drop the price. I would greatly appreciate any comments or thoughts on what we might be able to do to improve the situation! We really want to move, we've seen a house we love and we've just got married and would like to move on to our family home ASAP.

I can't post a link so please search TN4 9YB in Zoopla and it's the 1 bedroom house priced at 240k.
    Last edited by vicki2221; 01-11-2017 at 1:07 PM.
Page 13
    • paddycharlie
    • By paddycharlie 13th Nov 17, 5:09 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    paddycharlie
    Well done on the changes it looks much better.

I have seen a lot of people on this forum take the advise/criticism personally and end up ignoring it so it's good to see someone taking it on board and improving there chances of selling.

Hope you get some viewings as a result and some offers.
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 13th Nov 17, 6:35 PM
    • 6,038 Posts
    • 7,787 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    Well done - that's much better! Hope it helps gets people through the door.
    • vicki2221
    • By vicki2221 13th Nov 17, 6:50 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    vicki2221
    We have a viewing! On Wednesday
    • franklee
    • By franklee 13th Nov 17, 6:56 PM
    • 3,540 Posts
    • 3,757 Thanks
    franklee
    The new photos are much better.

Can now see it's a lovely garden for a 1 bed property with a good outlook. It's OK as is if sold to a non-gardener or if sold to a gardener they would be happy to change it to increase planting areas so it works both ways IMO.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 13th Nov 17, 7:00 PM
    • 7,599 Posts
    • 8,196 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    Is that graffiti thats been erased at the bottom of the garage door? I'd repaint.
    • karcher
    • By karcher 13th Nov 17, 8:19 PM
    • 1,400 Posts
    • 11,755 Thanks
    karcher
    It looks much better. Good luck.

Oh and I for one would much prefer a one bed freehold house with a garden to a leasehold flat with maintenance fees.

Your house has so much more going for it that a leasehold flat does imho.
    • warby68
    • By warby68 13th Nov 17, 8:22 PM
    • 853 Posts
    • 8,963 Thanks
    warby68
    Wow, Vicki

You said you loved your little house at the beginning, now it looks like a well loved little house, giving off a different vibe altogether now.

You must have worked your socks off!
    • Debtslayer
    • By Debtslayer 13th Nov 17, 9:38 PM
    • 430 Posts
    • 599 Thanks
    Debtslayer
    What a difference!! Good luck with your viewing on Wednesday X
    Current Mortgage 01.10.17 £113,513.88
    MFW Start Mortgage: £114,794.64
    Current MED: 2036 Target MED: 2026
    Overpayment Target for remainder of 2017: £2,000
    Mortgage overpayment savings: £684.80
    MFW No 124
    • vicki2221
    • By vicki2221 14th Nov 17, 4:45 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    vicki2221
    My husband quietly working at home this afternoon (from our new conservatory dining table!) when he hears voices outside. The phone rings and its the EA saying he's outside with a woman who'd like to view our property there and then. She had just been on a viewing at one around the corner and now would like to see ours. However, EA has to dash off so can husband do the viewing himself.
    Husband quickly shuts the dogs in the garden and lets her in and shows her around a slightly untidy house. Meanwhile one of our dogs is going mad and trying to headbutt it's way through the catflap and the lady says she hates dogs. Not great. The plan was for one of us to always take the dogs out when we get a viewing but we weren't expecting people to just show up unannounced! If it happens again they can get shut in garage I suppose :-)
    But at least it's a viewing (although I would be surprised if it's positive after that experience).
    • Lioness Twinkletoes
    • By Lioness Twinkletoes 14th Nov 17, 4:57 PM
    • 1,085 Posts
    • 3,514 Thanks
    Lioness Twinkletoes
    That ornament you have on the bedside table; I have one of those

House looks lovely now. Good luck with the sale.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 14th Nov 17, 5:48 PM
    • 9,801 Posts
    • 12,422 Thanks
    hazyjo
    My husband quietly working at home this afternoon (from our new conservatory dining table!) when he hears voices outside. The phone rings and its the EA saying he's outside with a woman who'd like to view our property there and then. She had just been on a viewing at one around the corner and now would like to see ours. However, EA has to dash off so can husband do the viewing himself.
    Husband quickly shuts the dogs in the garden and lets her in and shows her around a slightly untidy house. Meanwhile one of our dogs is going mad and trying to headbutt it's way through the catflap and the lady says she hates dogs. Not great. The plan was for one of us to always take the dogs out when we get a viewing but we weren't expecting people to just show up unannounced! If it happens again they can get shut in garage I suppose :-)
    But at least it's a viewing (although I would be surprised if it's positive after that experience).
    Originally posted by vicki2221

I know it's hard to say no, but get your excuses ready. We took an hour or so before viewings to get the house perfect. In your husband's shoes, I'd probably have said I'm so sorry but I'm working from home today and got to be on a conference call in the next 30 seconds. If they could come back at X time, that would be perfect'. If they're serious, they'll be back anyway. I know you think oh they won't bother coming back and you have to bend over backwards, but I really think a lot of those are timewasters who insist on viewing that exact second and don't rearrange (unless there's a good reason like they're not from the area and only down for a day).

Fingers crossed - it's all going in the right direction!
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation; Flybe flight
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 14th Nov 17, 7:16 PM
    • 8,522 Posts
    • 5,049 Thanks
    teddysmum
    Indeed it does look a lot better and gives a much better idea of the exterior area.

A couple of ideas that won't cost much (or anything):

Rotate the tv slightly as it looks to be facing an area with no seating.

Could you paint the fence and decking with coloured preservative,as it will look much fresher ?

Now is the time for colourful chrysanthemums (quite cheap in such as Aldi. These would look lovely in some large pots (self waterers are about £5 each) which you could take with you, so no wasted money.
    Last edited by teddysmum; 16-11-2017 at 7:04 PM.
    • vicki2221
    • By vicki2221 14th Nov 17, 7:39 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    vicki2221
    Indeed it does look a lot better and gives a much better idea of the exterior area.

A won't cost much (or anything):

Rotate the tv slightly as it looks to be facing an area with no seating.

Could you paint the fence and decking with coloured preservative,as it will look much fresher ?

Now is the time for colourful chrysanthemums (quite cheap in such as Aldi. These would look lovely in some large pots (self waterers are about £5 each) which you could take with you, so no wasted money.
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    Thank you for your advice. I have thought about painting the decking as it does look depressing. I spend 3 days every summer power washing every inch of it so it's clean but it's still grey. I just worry i might make a hash of it!
    • harrys dad
    • By harrys dad 14th Nov 17, 7:52 PM
    • 1,835 Posts
    • 2,061 Thanks
    harrys dad
    That looks great vikki. Sometimes I think the good people of MSE forums should open an estate agency; we could certainly prepare details better then the supposed "experts"
    • franklee
    • By franklee 14th Nov 17, 7:57 PM
    • 3,540 Posts
    • 3,757 Thanks
    franklee
    Originally posted by vicki2221
    Reminds me of when we viewed our to-be house. We were waiting outside for our appointment due in the next couple of minutes when the front door opened as the previous viewer was leaving. While the house owner was distracted her two dogs made a break for the door and were jumping at us. We're not particularly dog lovers either, leaving did cross my mind briefly, but we went ahead with the viewing and by the end of the afternoon our offer was in. Luckily they were small dogs.

A few other things happened during that viewing which the owner should have also avoided. The second viewing had an embarrassing moment too when the police turned up. However if it's the right house then it's the right house.
    • vicki2221
    • By vicki2221 14th Nov 17, 8:19 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    vicki2221
    That looks great vikki. Sometimes I think the good people of MSE forums should open an estate agency; we could certainly prepare details better then the supposed "experts"
    Originally posted by harrys dad
    I agree completely! I am so glad I came on here and got all of this advice, it's been great.
    • vicki2221
    • By vicki2221 14th Nov 17, 8:21 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    vicki2221
    The second viewing had an embarrassing moment too when the police turned up. However if it's the right house then it's the right house.
    Originally posted by franklee
    The police!
    • phoebe1989seb
    • By phoebe1989seb 14th Nov 17, 10:00 PM
    • 3,124 Posts
    • 6,401 Thanks
    phoebe1989seb
    I know it's hard to say no, but get your excuses ready. We took an hour or so before viewings to get the house perfect. In your husband's shoes, I'd probably have said I'm so sorry but I'm working from home today and got to be on a conference call in the next 30 seconds. If they could come back at X time, that would be perfect'. If they're serious, they'll be back anyway. I know you think oh they won't bother coming back and you have to bend over backwards, but I really think a lot of those are timewasters who insist on viewing that exact second and don't rearrange (unless there's a good reason like they're not from the area and only down for a day).

Fingers crossed - it's all going in the right direction!
    Originally posted by hazyjo
    This ^

Back in September when our house had been on the market a couple of weeks we were on the drive one Sunday (getting our rather bouncy dogs out of the car as it happens ) when we were stopped by a couple in a car who we'd already spotted driving at a snail's pace along the lane our house is in. They opened their windows and began quizzing us about the house, telling us they'd driven over from a village about eight miles away to look at it from the outside.

I could tell that DH was tempted to invite them in for an impromptu viewing and I was praying he wouldn't - not least because we'd already got a plan in place whereby one of us took the dogs out each time we had a viewing, but also as the house wasn't 'viewing ready', it being a Sunday

Instead we politely suggested they contact our EA to arrange a viewing. The following week we had several people make appointments to view, but that particular couple were never heard from again.

Otoh, at Easter we drove from the West Midlands to South Lincs to look at a house we'd seen online. It was a complete spur of the moment thing and we had no intentions of seeing inside the property. As we drove up there was a guy on a tractor in the garden. He came over, asked if we were interested in the house and if we'd driven far. When we explained how far we'd come, he invited us in for a viewing. Initially we declined, not wanting to be a PITA but he insisted

Vicki, hopefully your improved pics and blurb are having the desired effect and even if the impromptu viewing doesn't result in an offer, it won't be long before you're SSTC!
    Last edited by phoebe1989seb; 15-11-2017 at 4:14 PM.
    Paid off mortgage early - mortgage-free since age 40 (2007)

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
    • Quizzical Squirrel
    • By Quizzical Squirrel 14th Nov 17, 10:11 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 4,154 Thanks
    Quizzical Squirrel
    Originally posted by harrys dad
    I think we should call our agency 'Pots of Colour'.
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 15th Nov 17, 10:50 AM
    • 9,008 Posts
    • 59,299 Thanks
    LEJC
    I think it's a vast improvement on the previous listing...

There are always going to be things you spot that could be done to hopefully attract a buyer and at this stage its a case of your choice.

Strangely the one thing I picked up in your photos this time round were your side facing fascia boards could do with a paint or replacing with upvc....might be something that is picked up on a survey later down the line...but I'm sure you can deal with that if it happens.

The double garage description is still a little confusing...it looks like a single garage to me with a parking space.

I still have the issue with the word Freehold not being used in the description....I think that's worth a lot of money over a flat/apartment which is your competition.
    I would have that as a bullet point rather than the possibility to extend one that's currently mentioned.

My only other minor irritation would be that both the conservatory roof and the garage door could do with a good clean to make them both look much fresher and in line with the rest of the house.

Best of luck with your viewings...Your pictures make it look a much more spacious house
    Last edited by LEJC; 15-11-2017 at 11:02 AM.
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 154 out 137 in ...£15.64 spend
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

253Posts Today

1,742Users online

Martin's Twitter