Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • vicki2221
    • By vicki2221 1st Nov 17, 1:00 PM
    • 85Posts
    • 147Thanks
    vicki2221
    No interest in my house
    • 1st Nov 17, 1:00 PM
    No interest in my house 1st Nov 17 at 1:00 PM
    Hello. We listed our house on 10th October and have so far had no interest in it. The marketing report from the agent says they have sent dozens of emails and texts about it. It has been clicked on over 150 times. I know a few weeks isn't long but houses in our area usually go fast, we live right by a fast trainline to London and it's a popular commuter area. I thought we would have at least had a few viewings by now. This is our first house and first experience of selling.

Is this is a very quiet time of year for buyers? I don't know if our house is the problem or if this time of year is bad for selling.

The agent hasn't been overly insightful - just said hold your nerve or drop the price. I would greatly appreciate any comments or thoughts on what we might be able to do to improve the situation! We really want to move, we've seen a house we love and we've just got married and would like to move on to our family home ASAP.

I can't post a link so please search TN4 9YB in Zoopla and it's the 1 bedroom house priced at 240k.
    Last edited by vicki2221; 01-11-2017 at 1:07 PM.
Page 11
    • phoebe1989seb
    • By phoebe1989seb 8th Nov 17, 12:06 PM
    • 3,124 Posts
    • 6,401 Thanks
    phoebe1989seb
    I'm in two minds about this whole 'buyers shown round by vendor' thing. Until our current foray into selling, I would have said I preferred vendors doing the viewings......

Example 1 - Our last-but-one sale the EA didn't do viewings () so we had no choice but to do them ourselves. This resulted in a very good offer within ten days from buyers that asked loads of questions that imho an EA wouldn't have been able to answer.

Example 2 - Next sale the EA did do viewings and indeed carried out the first two. No offers. They were then unable to do the next three, so we had to - each of which resulted in an offer, one at asking price!

Example 3 - However, our current sale - where once again the EA didn't offer the option of them doing the viewings - I felt that we had too many timewasters who made all the right noises when they had no intention of buying. Had an EA been doing the viewings, this wouldn't have happened.

In the end we had twenty-odd viewings spread over five weeks. Each viewing lasted in excess of an hour (one was over two hours long!) and involved me taking our dogs for a long walk while DH did the necessary. Ultimately it did result in a sale - hopefully nearing exchange now - but in hindsight I wish we'd chosen an EA that conducted the viewings.

In the OP's position, I would definitely consider doing them myself though, as the EA concerned does sound pretty carp
    Paid off mortgage early - mortgage-free since age 40 (2007)

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
    • vicki2221
    • By vicki2221 8th Nov 17, 1:23 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    vicki2221
    In the OP's position, I would definitely consider doing them myself though, as the EA concerned does sound pretty carp
    Originally posted by phoebe1989seb
    I think I will insist on doing them myself. If we ever get one!
    • vicki2221
    • By vicki2221 8th Nov 17, 1:24 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    vicki2221
    What is the new price going to be?
    Originally posted by Crashy Time
    It's under debate but I think it might be 230k now. At that price we will be cheaper than the vast majority of 2 bed flats in Tunbridge Wells.
    Last edited by vicki2221; 08-11-2017 at 1:29 PM.
    • LittleMax
    • By LittleMax 8th Nov 17, 9:54 PM
    • 1,259 Posts
    • 1,842 Thanks
    LittleMax
    It's under debate but I think it might be 230k now. At that price we will be cheaper than the vast majority of 2 bed flats in Tunbridge Wells.
    Originally posted by vicki2221
    But realistically that's the compromise for people. 2 bed flat or lose a bedroom to gain garden and garage. For me I would take your small house over a flat, but I know a lot of people who would go for the extra bedroom.
    You will find someone who loves your house as much as you did. I think you are right to do the viewing and selling yourself, and I really think you need to instruct your estate agent to market it properly as a back to back cluster house or at the very least a terrace.
    Well done for taking all the crticism, you only need one buyer, hang in there.
    • vicki2221
    • By vicki2221 9th Nov 17, 7:40 AM
    • 85 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    vicki2221
    But realistically that's the compromise for people. 2 bed flat or lose a bedroom to gain garden and garage. For me I would take your small house over a flat, but I know a lot of people who would go for the extra bedroom.
    You will find someone who loves your house as much as you did. I think you are right to do the viewing and selling yourself, and I really think you need to instruct your estate agent to market it properly as a back to back cluster house or at the very least a terrace.
    Well done for taking all the crticism, you only need one buyer, hang in there.
    Originally posted by LittleMax
    I agree, I really hated living in flats and I jumped at the chance to buy a house instead. I am sure there are plenty of others like me. So I really think the price was not right at all. As well as all the other bits and bobs people have pointed out.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 9th Nov 17, 12:08 PM
    • 5,230 Posts
    • 2,209 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    The type of headlines the MSM seem to be revelling in just now can`t be helping sellers much?
    • thepurplepixie
    • By thepurplepixie 9th Nov 17, 5:23 PM
    • 867 Posts
    • 1,559 Thanks
    thepurplepixie
    I agree, I really hated living in flats and I jumped at the chance to buy a house instead. I am sure there are plenty of others like me. So I really think the price was not right at all. As well as all the other bits and bobs people have pointed out.
    I would rather have the one bed house rather than a two bed flat. Some people need the 2nd bed or just like having it and that is fair enough but for myself I would go for the house. I'm sure there are others like you and me.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 9th Nov 17, 9:17 PM
    • 5,230 Posts
    • 2,209 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    I would rather have the one bed house rather than a two bed flat. Some people need the 2nd bed or just like having it and that is fair enough but for myself I would go for the house. I'm sure there are others like you and me.
    Originally posted by thepurplepixie

Depends on neighbours sometimes, regarding noise etc. Flats can be easier to heat because you are effectively using your neighbours heat as well.
    • thepurplepixie
    • By thepurplepixie 10th Nov 17, 10:24 AM
    • 867 Posts
    • 1,559 Thanks
    thepurplepixie
    Depends on neighbours sometimes, regarding noise etc. Flats can be easier to heat because you are effectively using your neighbours heat as well.
    Originally posted by Crashy Time
    Or you upstairs neighbour can flood you and communal areas can be a mess. There are different experiences but as I said personally I would go for the one bed house, you might prefer a flat. Good job we aren't all the same or the market would be really skewed.
    • vicki2221
    • By vicki2221 10th Nov 17, 1:15 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    vicki2221
    My dad, who is a professional copywriter (albeit for financial products, not houses!) has rewritten the marketing copy for my house. Not sure if it will need cutting down a bit but I think it's a great improvement?

Revised
    · Rare first-time/downsize home property or ideal buy-to-let investment
    · Freehold end of terrace, back-to-back house with open-plan living space and modern conservatory
    · Close to High Brooms station: frequent trains to London
    · Low maintenance private gardens with garage and driveway
    · Strong potential to extend, subject to planning permission

This beautifully presented freehold house features a modern conservatory, large back garden, garage and driveway – just 10 minutes walk from High Brooms station.

Located in an attractive and quiet cul-de-sac, this is an ideal property for first-time buyers, downsizers or buy-to-let investors.

Walk through the attractive side garden to the enclosed entrance hall providing handy storage for coats and shoes before entering the comfortable open-plan living room.

The large adjoining conservatory provides extensive sunlight for the entire ground floor – as well as versatile extra living space for eating, reading or working.

A newly-fitted kitchen is modern and well equipped, with plenty of high-quality storage and worktop space – including a large understairs cupboard.

Upstairs, the bright and airy double bedroom suite features triple built-in wardrobes and a separate modern, fully-tiled bathroom.

Outside, the large and private gardens are accessed through double doors from the conservatory. Featuring extensive decking and surrounded by mature trees and hedges, the gardens offer an easily maintained and relaxing outdoor retreat. Due to the property’s location, the gardens enjoy full sunshine all day – as well the clear potential, if required for extending the house, subject to planning permission.

At the end of the back garden there is direct access to the property’s own private garage – accessed by a private driveway. Plenty of room for up to two cars, bikes, garden tools - and the full range of belongings that garages can used to store.

As a freehold property, this house is not constrained by a lease and involves no management charges or other restrictions that apply to flats and other leasehold properties.
    In a peaceful, private location but close to a mainline commuter station and with the potential for development of required, this is a rare buying opportunity and viewing is sure to impress.
    • SuboJvR
    • By SuboJvR 10th Nov 17, 1:28 PM
    • 445 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    SuboJvR
    Sounds great vicki. Already I'd be more interested - or rather, my husband would, garage sounds huge!!

I've just done a search for 1 beds in TBW http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-69467297.html

Suddenly your price doesn't look so bad, eh?
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 10th Nov 17, 1:28 PM
    • 9,008 Posts
    • 59,299 Thanks
    LEJC
    I think it is an improvement...as you say it may need editing a little but that's up to you.
    A potential purchaser might not hang in there to read it all fully

The only 2 things I would pick up on is the kitchen description.....newly fitted....it looked the same as the previous pictures from when you purchased the house.....

Is it a 2 car garage ....thats how I read it ....or space for a car in the garage and one on the driveway?
    If it's really a double garage with space for storage too there really needs to be a picture and much more made of it in the bullet point description.

now you just need a set of photos that reflect the house and show it to its full potential.

Maybe start with a photo for each point of the description and again as the description gets edited you can lose a photo if you wish.

When are you planning to remarket?
    Last edited by LEJC; 10-11-2017 at 1:37 PM.
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 154 out 137 in ...£15.64 spend
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 10th Nov 17, 1:47 PM
    • 9,801 Posts
    • 12,422 Thanks
    hazyjo
    Massive improvement - but definitely a tad too long.

One typo in last sentence (potential for development of required).

Good luck
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation; Flybe flight
    • vicki2221
    • By vicki2221 10th Nov 17, 1:47 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    vicki2221
    I think it is an improvement...as you say it may need editing a little but that's up to you.
    A potential purchaser might not hang in there to read it all fully

The only 2 things I would pick up on is the kitchen description.....newly fitted....it looked the same as the previous pictures from when you purchased the house.....

Is it a 2 car garage ....thats how I read it ....or space for a car in the garage and one on the driveway?
    If it's really a double garage with space for storage too there really needs to be a picture and much more made of it in the bullet point description.

now you just need a set of photos that reflect the house and show it to its full potential.

Maybe start with a photo for each point of the description and again as the description gets edited you can lose a photo if you wish.

When are you planning to remarket?
    Originally posted by LEJC
    Yes there are one or 2 things I think I need to revise so it's not misleading. The photographer is coming round today and then I am hoping it can go back up tomorrow if the EA doesn't move at a glacial pace.
    • vicki2221
    • By vicki2221 10th Nov 17, 1:51 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    vicki2221
    Sounds great vicki. Already I'd be more interested - or rather, my husband would, garage sounds huge!!

I've just done a search for 1 beds in TBW http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-69467297.html

Suddenly your price doesn't look so bad, eh?
    Originally posted by SuboJvR
    Husbands love garages don't they. it's the first thing mine has looked for when we've been searching for our next house.

There are so many 1 or 2 bed flats around here for 300k - 400k. So yes the price of my house doesn't seem too bad in comparison, but it is considerably less glamorous!
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 10th Nov 17, 1:53 PM
    • 30,298 Posts
    • 18,116 Thanks
    getmore4less
    Yes there are one or 2 things I think I need to revise so it's not misleading. The photographer is coming round today and then I am hoping it can go back up tomorrow if the EA doesn't move at a glacial pace.
    Get photos that back up the text.

might be me but I struggled to find it on street view a pic from the road often helps.
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 10th Nov 17, 2:02 PM
    • 2,484 Posts
    • 1,852 Thanks
    Candyapple
    Revised
    · [I]Rare first-time/downsize home property or ideal buy-to-let investment
    ·
    Bit of an oxymoron using the word 'rare'. Perhaps revise it to "Ideal for first time buyers / downsize home property" and leave out the BTL investment bit given the state of the BTL market lately.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 10th Nov 17, 2:30 PM
    • 30,298 Posts
    • 18,116 Thanks
    getmore4less
    what do these places rent for and what would the gross yield be at your asking price, <10% then drop the BTL investment it's not.

Also BTL investment may put buyer off if they think the street is full of rentals
    • vicki2221
    • By vicki2221 10th Nov 17, 3:02 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    vicki2221
    what do these places rent for and what would the gross yield be at your asking price, <10% then drop the BTL investment it's not.

Also BTL investment may put buyer off if they think the street is full of rentals
    Originally posted by getmore4less
    Yes I might take it out
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 10th Nov 17, 3:32 PM
    • 9,924 Posts
    • 7,992 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Your father has gone a little bit overboard. A conservatory does not increase the sunlight for the ground floor, remove it and the same amount of sunlight is still there.

Is the bathroom ensuite as that is how it reads. Is it a 2 car garage? There is no need to add all the items it can be used tor store. There is no need to mention its proximity to the station 3 times.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

253Posts Today

1,742Users online

Martin's Twitter