Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Watty1
    • By Watty1 2nd Sep 13, 12:25 PM
    • 2,863Posts
    • 19,891Thanks
    Watty1
    This Time I'm Really Going To Do It
    • 2nd Sep 13, 12:25 PM
    This Time I'm Really Going To Do It 2nd Sep 13 at 12:25 PM
    I've loved this little bit of the forum and over the years have often stopped by for a bit of motivation. And from time to time have even made moves to become mortgage free, making an overpayment here, and thinking about it and even once setting a date (12/12/12) when there was a great thread here about that.

And then poooffff ... I make a start and it all fades away.

A year ago I decided that we would be mortgage free by January 2014 ... and paid off 10% of the mortgage..found that was the maximum we could pay off without penalty and then I sort of gave up. But not totally. I have been saving and over the last few weeks been looking forward to the start of september because .....drumroll....today I can make a repayment without penalty. And so I am currently on hold to the Mortgage company to do just that.

And whilst holding I thought I would also start a diary here to keep me motivated... I mean January 2014 Thats only 4 months away...surely I cant do it by then????

But rather than give up once again I'm going to see just how far I can get by that date and hopefully posting on a nice friendly board will keep the motivation up.

Back later with more figures.
    Last edited by Watty1; 02-09-2013 at 2:09 PM.
Page 3
  • GreenNinja
    Hi Watty, ref your excess of lemons... you can slice them and put in a plastic tub in the freezer, then you can just add them to a drink as needed and they kind of double up as an ice cube!!
    • Watty1
    • By Watty1 19th Sep 13, 9:29 AM
    • 2,863 Posts
    • 19,891 Thanks
    Watty1
    Good plan with the lemons echo delta. Plus Mr Watty bought home some courgettes from a local selling at the gate neighbour so planning to fry them in olive oil with some left over potatos, add lemon zest and lemon juice and a bit of basil from the windowsill plant and that should use up a couple and make a nice dish for dinner. So yes, even the lemons will get used up.

Will check and see if neighbour has any more in a couple of days as could turn them into a nice cheap soup as well (especially as have the other ingredients for what sounds like a luxury soup in the cupboard).

Money saving meals are working beautifully this week and planning on checking the joint account to see if we are still on track later this morning. If we can just start to save a little from that account it will really help the plans along.

Poo-overing still going well. Another 3 sessions and we will have finished that field and then will move the boys to another field for autumn/winter as the field is looking well grazed and in need of a rest.

Popped a few items on ebay yesterday evening. Also have a bit of business stock that needs to go so popped a couple of items on cheap. I'm not sure it will sell but if it does will start to list more on ebay as might be a useful way of selling stuff that the business does not need.

And best of all, negotiated a 40% discount on courier rates. Totally delighted as this will save around £200 to £300 a month in the business which means more profit for the fund. I asked someone else to quote for the business and then took the rates back to the original company and said I would be going elsewhere unless.... and to my surprise they have not quite matched but have offered another deal that looks good. So delighted.
    • Watty1
    • By Watty1 25th Sep 13, 4:59 PM
    • 2,863 Posts
    • 19,891 Thanks
    Watty1
    Been quiet. Busy time! Spent the weekend going to Suffolk to lecture to promote my company and then off to see brother for nice afternoon but whoa long drive! Totally exhausted Sunday.
    Monday took the pony out for a hack and confidence wise had 2 severe wobbles. Hey ho. Luckily Mr Watty came and found me both times and after I calmed down I got back on. This confidence lark is very draining. I just wish I knew what the answer was.

Anyway decided to ask a neighbour if I could go out with her and her horse and lovely lady said yes so thats a gentle hack planned for Friday and a friend is coming over tomorrow to hack my elderly with me and the pony so hopefully those two will be better times out.

Moneywise, think deal with courier company sorted so that should save me about £100 to £200 a month which means more profit into the overpay fund.

And joy of joys ...carefully checked the joint account from which we rarely ever manage to end up in credit at the end of the month and see that this month we will actually have some money left over I think ...and thats after buying road tax for 12 months for my car (£220) and buying 3 months of supplements for the elderly chappie in the field. The careful budgeting is working although Mr W nipped out to buy a prawn sandwich at lunchtime on the basis be couldnt face yet more eggs. Bless him!
    • Watty1
    • By Watty1 26th Sep 13, 8:37 AM
    • 2,863 Posts
    • 19,891 Thanks
    Watty1
    Major meltdown yesterday. Confidence with the horse hit an all time low. Mr W has suggested that I start looking for a bombproof chap, as in an younger version of our elderly companion horse. (Elderly would be fine but he is in his 20s and I've tried him a few times and whilst he is happy to hack with me and the baby, he isn't much interested in working on his own. And, to be fair to the elderly gent, I was given him as a retired companion anyway).
    Mr W has also suggested I invest in some lunge lessons to up my riding fitness. He was thinking I should get someone to come here and lunge me on the baby but that not being as easy as I first thought, I think I will have to go somewhere.
    I feel so down about the whole issue that I'm thinking this might be a good use of spare cash at the moment.
    Totally fed up to be honest. Hmmmm.....
    • FloppyDisk
    • By FloppyDisk 26th Sep 13, 9:06 AM
    • 493 Posts
    • 3,684 Thanks
    FloppyDisk
    Oh Watty that must feel rubbish, do you have transport? Remember horses are supposed to be fun, and it's really good you're looking to school your way through it. What is actually happening? Have you found someone to hack your old boy, would he help to calm yours down at all?
    July 2012 £139,642 / Nov 2017 £111,504
    EF - £11,504/£25,000
    • Watty1
    • By Watty1 26th Sep 13, 12:31 PM
    • 2,863 Posts
    • 19,891 Thanks
    Watty1
    Well the person who was going to hack my old boy was a no show. Hey ho. Good reasons so never mind.
    What is happening? Umm...pretty much nothing. He is a baby and just starts or jumps or spins. With a confident rider, all one would need to do is smile and say silly boy and apply leg and off he would go. The problem is entirely me. I had a really bad accident with my last horse and when the baby starts or gets tense and looks at something I totally freeze and can't think straight. So the day before yesterday he starts as some rabbits in the hedge doing what rabbits do (!) and refuses to go forward and I end up getting off shaking. Eventually I got back on and he was fine and then we met a lorry filling the whole road - and I mean the whole road - and I couldnt work out what to do. My mind went totally blank. No thoughts of turn round and put him on someones driveway or anything. I had to get off to think straight. Actually he is quite a brave chap and very calm. When I am calm, thinking clearly and apply a little leg he very nicely walks on. And when he spins he only goes off a couple of strides in canter before I can pull him up. So basically he is great. I am in contrast a total nervous wreck and wobble at the slightest thing. And this has been going on now for months. I thought I was getting better as I have actually managed some lessons and to walk hack him a couple of times but last hack was so awful (for me) that I'm very despondant. And I have lost all enthusiasm to try again. Or even to ride in the arena that is at home.
    I dont have transport so taking him someone where isn't really an option.
    I probably need some intensive work on me, but, I have tried some stuff and nothings really worked so far. God I sound negative even to me! Phew
    • Watty1
    • By Watty1 27th Sep 13, 4:52 PM
    • 2,863 Posts
    • 19,891 Thanks
    Watty1
    Pulled self together and asked neighbour to come out with me today as she has a very sensible horse. Have never met neighbour before so this was rather brave of me as am very shy! But, lovely lady. And baby and I survived. Am more than ever convinced its me that is making him nervous now. However, she has said she will come out with me again next week so lets see how it goes.

On the money saving front, everything listed on ebay sold and all but one item paid for. Totally chuffed with that!
    And went to the supermarket and did a very cautious shop. Its looking good, we may yet make it to the end of the month without that account going overdrawn. Hurrah!
  • EchoDelta
    Well done on asking your neighbour to come - also shy so I totally get how brave that was to do! Hope that it goes well, sounds like a positive first outing.

And hooray for OD free end of month!
    Sealed Pot Challenge - No. 117
    Bank of Mum & Dad - £3150/£10,000 (£6850 to go) Bank of In Laws - £4600/£12,000 (£7400 to go)
    MFW - MFD - 5 Apr 2029 5 June 2025 : AIM = NOV 2019 (back up aim = MAR 2023)
    • Alchemilla
    • By Alchemilla 28th Sep 13, 8:10 PM
    • 5,041 Posts
    • 39,592 Thanks
    Alchemilla
    oh watty i am so jealous...i would love to be riding even losing my confidence...but i am too damn fat.
    Our pony is a baby too and hates tractors. I find a schooling whip really useful, not for smacking but to reinforce the point...we let her have a look at stuff but then we tell her she has to go past it. So scary trying to tell a ten year old girl how to do it!!
    Turns out I wasn't allowed to link to my blog.

Please PM me if you would like to read it.
    • FloppyDisk
    • By FloppyDisk 29th Sep 13, 7:27 AM
    • 493 Posts
    • 3,684 Thanks
    FloppyDisk
    Ooh I know what it is like to lose your confidence but you are battling on, you are doing so well! Great news on the neighbour, do you have a riding club nearby? They often have clinics for youngsters etc or they could give reccomendations for an instructor to come to you, perhaps try on their facebook page. I've had to join facebook just to gain riding connections!
    Is he ok going out in hand, perhaps just walk him out and get him used to the sights ans sounds of a hack without you getting too nervous, ans make sure you're wearing a body protector when you're on him anyway, I find it boosts my confidence no end even if I don't intend to use it!
    Don't give up Watty, you're getting there! X
    EF - £11,504/£25,000
    • Watty1
    • By Watty1 30th Sep 13, 5:19 PM
    • 2,863 Posts
    • 19,891 Thanks
    Watty1
    Floppy thank you so much for the suggestions. Shall investigate facebook. And yes I have dug out my back protector and started wearing that. Plus went out again with neighbour this morning and baby was more relaxed. Only walked for 30 mins round block but both baby and I managed it without major meltdown. Neighbour couldnt see what problem was....ummm!! me?? I know its me (sigh)..... Still, I've been out twice now without incidence or breakdown on my part so I'm trying to focus on that.

Financial news... was able to make another overpayment without penalty today so money transferred from savings to mortgage. Hurrah!!

Cannot make anymore overpayments to mortgage until mid november ..but...will start building up savings pot which currently stands at £1100.25 for next one.
    • Watty1
    • By Watty1 3rd Oct 13, 9:19 AM
    • 2,863 Posts
    • 19,891 Thanks
    Watty1
    Spent yesterday working in London. Got offered some work that might be interesting to do so am looking forward to email with all details on. And after work had coffee with friend from university days which was lovely. Plus dinner out. Nice as was at Leons a fast food place so cheapish and delish! But tubes nightmare going back to mainline station and ended up in a cab as was so tired and v sore throat and just wanted to try and catch next train rather than wait an hour! £17 on taxi!! Argh. Still caught train.

This morning am baffled how house looks such a mess, as to where that huge pile of ironing came from and how desk is a complete mess with so much to do.

Am resolved to at least try to catch up on some of this today and not waste day. In house on own and nothing planned so should be a chance to catch up. Will start off by making long list.
    • LauraJo
    • By LauraJo 3rd Oct 13, 9:56 PM
    • 1,002 Posts
    • 5,610 Thanks
    LauraJo
    Hi watty. Just been reading about the pony troubles I've not ridden this week coz my boy has been a nasty pony and decided no one can come near him and his new gf we managed to separate them today and she has been moved but I'm DREADING getting on tomorrow! The only thing I can do is not think about it too much, wear my back protector, use safety stirrups and anything else to make me feel better. Have you ever looked at an rs tor? I've been looking at them... I think they might work wonders for confidence esp on a young, spinning pony?
    Mortgage starting balance 2011 ... £170k today £1.5k
    Savings: £3k
    Aim: 100k by Dec 2021
    • Watty1
    • By Watty1 8th Oct 13, 9:55 AM
    • 2,863 Posts
    • 19,891 Thanks
    Watty1
    The RS Tor is actually a fab device. I have one and totally rate it. For the small amount it costs, yes, def worth trying Laura Jo.

Have been out once more with neighbour and we met a miniature pony whilst out. Oh my!! Thank goodness baby had a sensible pal with him. After much snorting and bracing himself and thinking he could bu**er off he decided the best plan was to *hide* behind sensible horse who couldnt see what all the issues was. Then baby decided to 'man up' and have a good look at the tiny creature that was galloping around and his feet got stuck to the ground and he couldnt move. And I mean wouldn't/couldnt and was totally braced. But, having someone with me meant that I could just smile and tell him not to be a dumpling and to walk on. And he did. Thank god for neighbour!

Havent heard from her this week but will leave it a couple of days then text her. I dont want to be a pain - but - she is just about my best bet of getting baby and I round the block in one bit at the moment.

Also went for a lunge lesson. Cancelled pony camp as am way too lacking in confidence to go and had a chat with the place about my 'non refundable' deposit. The upshot of delightful chat was that they had someone who needed lunging practice and I thought a lunge lesson might be good for me so they gave me the lesson at a bargin price on the understanding I gave the lass feedback on her style. It was fabulous. And I got to see that where I panic and brace against the horse thus making my position insecure. So liked it that I am going to go back for some more - especially as they are giving me £10 off the price of each one as I am helping the student out as much as me.

And, have saddler coming out later this week. Am looking at buying an Australian Stock Saddle. Not sure. But, think they might do my confidence some good. Not money saving but might be confidence saving Baby is very hard to fit a saddle too though so might not be an option but ...lets get the saddler out and see.
    • Watty1
    • By Watty1 8th Oct 13, 9:24 PM
    • 2,863 Posts
    • 19,891 Thanks
    Watty1
    Well what a great day this turned out to be. Baby and I have been for a long hack with neighbour and her super horse. And we had a lovely time. Passed a house selling flowers and nipped back after untacking and purchased a couple of bunches. Stopped buying flowers as part of the economy drive when this journey started but I do like flowers in the house. Now if i can buy a bunch for just £1.50 that is a bargin.
    So much cheaper than the supermarket and nicer too.

And then home to desk and work ..and ..I've been paid £600 for a piece of work I've just finished. Now I knew the money was coming but delighted it is here. Has to clear the business bank account first then can filter that straight over to the savings account.

Good day all in all .. and worked out how to do a signature too!
    Mortgage at start of diary Sept 2013: £132,995 Aug 2015 £0
    Overpaying next mortgage. £79,491 now £27152
    • Watty1
    • By Watty1 9th Oct 13, 8:08 PM
    • 2,863 Posts
    • 19,891 Thanks
    Watty1
    Transferred £600 earnt into savings pot for overpayments when can make them without penalty.

Checked electricity bill and found a cheaper option that will save us what I think will be £70 a year so pleased about that. Mr W said oh good another couple of costa coffee's a month. I don't really think he has a clue bless him

Had a lunge lesson at local riding place. Lots of good pointers made and booked another one for next week. Decided if it came to it I would rather be a confident rider than Mortgage free ... so ... am going to spend on the riding stuff but be scrouge elsewhere to save for the overpayments. Could have picked a cheaper hobby but hey ho

Lunge lesson showed up where my nerves take hold and what I'm doing so that is great. Am going to go back for another next week.

Fairly busy day at work too. And am spending this evening writing a report for something. It is an extra £50 so well worth doing. And was asked earlier if I could do another one next week. Well ...yes!! Of course. As I'm self employed will take any opportunity to earn extra at the moment as can all go into savings pot (after tax of course!)
    Mortgage at start of diary Sept 2013: £132,995 Aug 2015 £0
    Overpaying next mortgage. £79,491 now £27152
  • EchoDelta
    Work sounds great Watty!

Positive news about the lunging too.
    Sealed Pot Challenge - No. 117
    Bank of Mum & Dad - £3150/£10,000 (£6850 to go) Bank of In Laws - £4600/£12,000 (£7400 to go)
    MFW - MFD - 5 Apr 2029 5 June 2025 : AIM = NOV 2019 (back up aim = MAR 2023)
    • FloppyDisk
    • By FloppyDisk 10th Oct 13, 10:38 AM
    • 493 Posts
    • 3,684 Thanks
    FloppyDisk
    Well done Watty, sounds like you and pony are both making great progress enjoying each other's company again. I've never had a lunge lesson but it must be great for focusing on yourself, do you not get readlly dizzy?!
    EF - £11,504/£25,000
    • Alchemilla
    • By Alchemilla 12th Oct 13, 8:00 PM
    • 5,041 Posts
    • 39,592 Thanks
    Alchemilla
    How goes it?
    Someone at work is trying to flog me a 15.2 welshie...
    Turns out I wasn't allowed to link to my blog.

Please PM me if you would like to read it.
    • LauraJo
    • By LauraJo 13th Oct 13, 3:53 PM
    • 1,002 Posts
    • 5,610 Thanks
    LauraJo
    How goes it?
    Someone at work is trying to flog me a 15.2 welshie...
    Originally posted by Alchemilla
    Oooh do it

Hi watty, so the lunge lesson... I've never had one but hear it helps your seat / core so sounds interesting. Have u ever had to use the rs tor? Thinking about asking for one for Xmas...

Great news about the 600 squids too.... That'll help

Over the last month I've started hacking out alone (was always a no go before coz he was a spooky pratt!)
    I literally told myself he is a grown up and is brave. Somehow my confidence in him seems to have worked! Helped by the fact my friend rode him and he didn't spook once!
    Mortgage starting balance 2011 ... £170k today £1.5k
    Savings: £3k
    Aim: 100k by Dec 2021
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

940Posts Today

6,827Users online

Martin's Twitter