Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 28th Aug 10, 7:05 PM
    • 3,929Posts
    • 36,198Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Squirrelling it all away......
    • 28th Aug 10, 7:05 PM
    Squirrelling it all away...... 28th Aug 10 at 7:05 PM
    Hello,

I have been reading the MFW diaries for some months now and am finally in a position to begin some serious overpaying. I intend to overpay £1500 per month in order to finish our mortgage on 1.3.13. It seems a nice symmetrical date.

I have a good full time job, and so does OH. Our children are grown up and it would be great to see an end to the mortgage so that we can enjoy our 'autumn' years! I am 49 and he is 53 so we are still spring chickens really..... The overpayments will mean quite a sacrifice but it really hurts me to see how the banks profit so hugely from us - (how can they charge 7% for loans and pay only 0.25% on an ISA, and still keep a straight face?) - I get quite Mrs Angry when I think about these things, and see how they prey on the careless.

But best not to get me started. I've always been fairly sensible with money but OH really isn't and gets fed up when I talk about it so I hope the diary will inspire me to keep going in the face of his apathy! My intention is to post every couple of days with my ramblings about squirrelling away for the future. I have really enjoyed everybody's diaries and hope that mine will not be too dull!

Thanks for listening

Squirrel
Page 3
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 20th Sep 10, 9:27 PM
    • 3,929 Posts
    • 36,198 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Hello,
    Have to confess to unintentional illegal MSEing. The ticket machine at the station was malfunctioning and I tried and tried but then the train pulled in and I got on (they are half an hour apart) without a ticket. I would have bought one from the ticket collector but he didn't come. I feel SO GUILTY. Which I know is mad. Will buy one tomorrow even if I miss my train because I will never get away with it again. So another no spend day......

Still waiting for the news on the car, which remains in hospital. It is 9 years old and costing more and more to run... when do I give up on it? (Shhhhh don't let it hear that....)

Hello Neverenough, sounds like you have a big upheaval - fingers crossed that it all goes well for you,

Happy Monday everybody,

Squirrel x
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 21st Sep 10, 6:34 PM
    • 3,929 Posts
    • 36,198 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Another NSD
    Another accidental NSD. My reading group was cancelled so no spend there, and I got a lift home from work, so no fares!
    This has been my longest NSD roll ever I think! But the car is back from the garage and the bill will be with me tomorrow.... so good thing I have saved a few pounds.

Nothing exciting to report, so I won't bore you all! Best wishes,

Squirrel
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
  • LilacPixie
    welldone for the NSD's

Glad you have the car back. No idea when to give up on it, one of mines is almost 9 and is still going strong but has only done 45k. I think if you have now fixed alot of the mega bits then you may as well get your moneys worth
    MF aim 10th December 2020
    MFW 2012 no86 OP 0/2000
    • NeverEnough
    • By NeverEnough 21st Sep 10, 8:12 PM
    • 907 Posts
    • 735 Thanks
    NeverEnough
    Squirrel, glad the car's collapse wasn't terminal....as to when a car is too old to carry on, eventually you'll know......my old car was 12 years old before I replaced it earlier this year and we also have another 12 year old car still going strong. I've never seen the wisdom of changing cars, tellies, washing machines etc for no real reason other than there are newer smarter ones available - we've had tellies and washing machines last for 20 years and a well-maintained car should give you at least 12 years given our experience......sometimes lack of supply of parts for older models can start getting expensive, maybe then its time to change. After all, these items are really quite an expense and I think I like the idea of using them as long as possible !!!!

Congrats on the NSD again - I managed the weekend, but then had a towbar fitted yesterday and a Thule Easy carrier system, so an expensive day in all, but the towbar will be invaluable so hopefully a good investment.

Hope Wednesday is a good one for all......
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 22nd Sep 10, 10:19 PM
    • 3,929 Posts
    • 36,198 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Hello,

It is really lovely to have the car back, even though the garage have changed all the radio stations! And the seat was in a very strange position! Still no bill so that means I won't have to pay until Friday which is payday and in turn means I won't go overdrawn! For once I am pleased about inefficiency. Although I am still not sure how much it will be. The car gets a stay of execution, although I am keeping my eyes open for a new one, preferably a very good deal with a very long warranty.....

I still haven't spent anything, but to say that is cheating a little as OH took me out for dinner this evening. It came out of his budget and we went for the midweek special fixed menu so not too much of an indulgence. He is a bit down about work and we also had some sad news about an elderly relative today so we wanted to change routine a little. As you can see we are home nice and early which is good because work is still crazy busy and I am rather tired...

All of the children who were uncharacteristically good in the first week of term have shown their true colours now and started fighting and playing up. Time to show them that they have met their match - no more nice squirrel.

Best wishes to all and thank you for the good advice,

Squirrel
    • CathT
    • By CathT 23rd Sep 10, 8:54 AM
    • 5,355 Posts
    • 36,761 Thanks
    CathT
    Hope the bill isn't too bad. We run 2 cars and seem to have had to spend a bit on each of them this year. My car 2003 DH 2001 so we have upgraded his to a 55 plate while we can still get a decent trade price for his. Seems like an investment to us and newer car be cheaper to run, tax, insure etc so hope it will pay for itself!

Hope the children are good in work for you and the weekend comes round quickly!
    Nov 2017 -
    part 1 - £79,999
    part 2 - £46,117
    Total - £126,116
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 24th Sep 10, 8:09 PM
    • 3,929 Posts
    • 36,198 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Payday at last....
    Hello,

Well, I made two more no spend days, apart from petrol, so I am quite proud of not having done any frittering this month. I just tried to make our first serious overpayment but of course there were technical issues so it had to wait until tomorrow. Grrrrrrrrr. But this month will really be the tough one. Garage bill, car insurance and tax, a penalty charge for driving down the wrong road (grrrrrr again) and a vet bill for starters. And a haircut this weekend. So not much left for fun. Luckily I get paid again just before half term so we can have a little break then - as long as I manage to get through this one! I

Happy weekend everyone,

Squirrel
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 26th Sep 10, 12:39 PM
    • 3,929 Posts
    • 36,198 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Tough month ahead
    Hello,

Well, I have paid all the bills for October, made the mortgage overpayment and put aside some savings for when the 0% cards are due. Leaving me with about £150 to last the month! It is not as bad as it sounds as I can use the 0% card for petrol and OH buys our food. But there are a couple of birthdays and nights out planned so I will have to be very frugal....

I was a busy bee yesterday and got all the jobs out of the way so today is free and we are going to friends for lunch at their house so very MSE. I have an extremely busy week work wise ahead so I won't be spending much. Car repair cost £315 so it had better not break down again...

Hope you all have a good week,

Squirrel
    • theyoungone
    • By theyoungone 26th Sep 10, 2:34 PM
    • 1,926 Posts
    • 11,545 Thanks
    theyoungone
    SSS
    sounds like you have had a busy few days ... good luck on your frugal month, I have to be pretty frugal for about the next 6weeks or so so let me know how you get on and any tips!
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 29th Sep 10, 9:35 PM
    • 3,929 Posts
    • 36,198 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Bit tired
    Hello,

Just over half way through the very busy week and already looking forward to the weekend! We are attending lots of primary evenings to persuade parents to send their children to our school. Very repetitive and all the standing around is tough on the feet. Plus I am being observed teaching the laziest class in the world on Friday. So come on, Saturday!

A little bit of spending - a cup of tea at the book club meeting, a parking meter and a cheap lunch out with the team at work so far this week. It should not be any more than that, I hope as we have a birthday to go to on Friday and I already have the present and card. So one week down without visiting the cashpoint!

I am trying hard to think of ways to stretch the social pennies this month but most of them involve not going out which is rather dull! If I think of anything I will pass it on! I have free tickets for a tV show recording at the weekend but of course it is not a free evening at all.... petrol, parking, a drink... But obviously still a good deal and we can't drive ourselves mad with boredom or there would be no point in being MF in the asylum....

All the best,

Squirrel
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 29th Sep 10, 10:08 PM
    • 16,454 Posts
    • 107,802 Thanks
    gallygirl
    we can't drive ourselves mad with boredom or there would be no point in being MF in the asylum....

Originally posted by Secret Saving Squirrel
    Oh I don't know, at least you'd have plenty friends there

What show is it, spill the beans
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = £0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • linz
    • By linz 29th Sep 10, 10:19 PM
    • 1,585 Posts
    • 4,292 Thanks
    linz
    Hi Squirrel,

I was just reading a few peoples diaries and stumbled across yours. Can I ask you a question about your sig? What do the amounts on the 0% cards mean? Is that borrowing at 0% then putting it towards your mortgage and saving over the 12 months to pay it back / stoozing onto a different card? I've just started my MFW diary and was curious what it meant and if it was something I could do. Hope you don't mind me asking, feel a bit thick, never done stoozing but i've heard of it.

Linz
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 30th Sep 10, 9:32 PM
    • 3,929 Posts
    • 36,198 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Just a bit mad....
    Hello,

Well, yes I must be a bit mad to be doing this....! I am embarrassed about the show (Christmas Eve with Barbara Windsor) so please don't tell anyone. Not cool but probably fun.

The 0% cards are nothing tricky at all. We had some building done and I didn't have the money so we got 0% cards and put all our spending on them for a few months and paid for the building with the money saved. Now we are putting £1000 per month towards paying them off before the 0% runs out. So it was basically an interest free loan for the building work.

No spending today, and plan to keep it as low as possible for the weekend. Let's see....

Happy Friday everybody!

Squirrel
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 2nd Oct 10, 5:39 PM
    • 3,929 Posts
    • 36,198 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Bit fed up....
    Hello,

It is a miserable rainy afternoon and I didn't get all my washing dry in time! And I have spent three hours on school work and still have another hour to do.... So I am just having a break. Friday was another no spend day, but today we went to the High Street for supplies and I popped into the charity shop where I was seduced into buying Xmas cards for £6 and a handy table food warmer thing (you know, you put tea lights in them) which was brand new and only £2.50. But still I don't have enough spare cash for this sort of indulgence this month!

Hardly the end of the wrold though - I just thought I had got past the impulse buying stage! Friends round for dinner tonight so good MSE fun. Just need a nap first....

Have a good weekend everybody,

Squirrel
    • CathT
    • By CathT 2nd Oct 10, 5:47 PM
    • 5,355 Posts
    • 36,761 Thanks
    CathT
    Oh to have an afternoon nap, i am jealous!!!!

You can use the food warmer tonight!! Not an extravagance if put to good use!

Hope you don't have much more school work to do over the weekend. I had good intentions to do some reading for work this week but it didn't happen!
    Nov 2017 -
    part 1 - £79,999
    part 2 - £46,117
    Total - £126,116
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 3rd Oct 10, 3:59 PM
    • 3,929 Posts
    • 36,198 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Ouch
    Hello,

Well, I never got my afternoon nap because the school work took longer than I expected, as usual. And we had a lovely time with friends round last night but it was so lovely that I didn't get to bed until 4am!!!!! And so we got up very late and my head hurts a lot. I had planned to buy some winter plants for my pots but can't face it so at least I am saving a few pennies. Just doing a few jobs and checking my emails so popped in to say hello. Off to the freebie theatre later - hope it is good!

Target this week is no spending at all except petrol Monday to Friday. I have never managed a full five days before, so let's see.

Have a good week everybody!

Squirrel
  • taxi73
    LOL at the sore head but it's worth it for a good night.
    Hope you enjoy the show.
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 4th Oct 10, 9:54 PM
    • 3,929 Posts
    • 36,198 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    One day down....
    Achieved the first no spend day of the week! Probably helped along by not getting home from work until nine! No energy to go spending. Off to bed.

Goodnight,

Squirrel
    • *Jellie*
    • By *Jellie* 4th Oct 10, 10:19 PM
    • 2,949 Posts
    • 13,373 Thanks
    *Jellie*
    Isn't it weird when one of the plus sides of being at work is spending less!

Well and truly fell off wagon!...2017 Womble #9 Gave up counting :-( Saving for Christmas 2017 #46 £250/ £520. 365 Day Penny Challenge in 2017 gave up! VSP 2017 # Gave up SPC 10. Stashbusting projects lost track! Crazy clothes challenge 2017 #12 £350/200.....oops!
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 6th Oct 10, 7:25 PM
    • 3,929 Posts
    • 36,198 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Very dull
    This must be the dullest diary on the forum! Two more no spend days but I am about to not achieve my target of NSD all week as I have been seduced into a pub quiz. Just off now. But I wll still do my best - beer rather than gin and tonic! And back with the no spending tomorrow.

Best wishes to all! Thanks, Jellie!

Squirrel
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

940Posts Today

6,827Users online

Martin's Twitter