Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 28th Aug 10, 7:05 PM
    • 3,929Posts
    • 36,198Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Squirrelling it all away......
    • 28th Aug 10, 7:05 PM
    Squirrelling it all away...... 28th Aug 10 at 7:05 PM
    Hello,

I have been reading the MFW diaries for some months now and am finally in a position to begin some serious overpaying. I intend to overpay £1500 per month in order to finish our mortgage on 1.3.13. It seems a nice symmetrical date.

I have a good full time job, and so does OH. Our children are grown up and it would be great to see an end to the mortgage so that we can enjoy our 'autumn' years! I am 49 and he is 53 so we are still spring chickens really..... The overpayments will mean quite a sacrifice but it really hurts me to see how the banks profit so hugely from us - (how can they charge 7% for loans and pay only 0.25% on an ISA, and still keep a straight face?) - I get quite Mrs Angry when I think about these things, and see how they prey on the careless.

But best not to get me started. I've always been fairly sensible with money but OH really isn't and gets fed up when I talk about it so I hope the diary will inspire me to keep going in the face of his apathy! My intention is to post every couple of days with my ramblings about squirrelling away for the future. I have really enjoyed everybody's diaries and hope that mine will not be too dull!

Thanks for listening

Squirrel
Page 220
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 10th Nov 17, 5:55 AM
    • 3,535 Posts
    • 27,432 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    I have found selling cars on ebay easy and hassle-free. Admittedly only "spares or repair" ones.
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 12th Nov 17, 9:50 PM
    • 3,929 Posts
    • 36,198 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Hello,

We did sell oh old car on eBay and found it quite fun, but that was a car that we were happy to just get anything for. We are a bit more attached to the camper and want a bit more for it so we will either reduce the price and hope for the best, or keep it until spring. Tax and insurance comes to £40 a month and that will also mean getting another mot so I think reducing the price is probably more cost effective. If we got pushed I would do eBay though.

Lovely sociable weekend but I am very tired and have to work very long days for the next three days to leave everything up to date at work and set cover as I am going away for a week on Thursday. We are staying with friends in Spain so hoping for some sunshine although it will be cool.

Have a good week,
    Squirrel
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 13th Nov 17, 8:07 PM
    • 714 Posts
    • 6,316 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Autumn sun will be lovely. Happy holidays
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 14th Nov 17, 10:15 AM
    • 28,045 Posts
    • 154,149 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Have a wonderful time in Spain, sounds great.
    Retired August 2016
    • greent
    • By greent 14th Nov 17, 6:29 PM
    • 6,409 Posts
    • 64,754 Thanks
    greent
    Have a lovely time
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £5034/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1214.99/£500 PAYDOX17 £11937/£10k Decluttered 1730/2017 items
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 14th Nov 17, 8:33 PM
    • 16,454 Posts
    • 107,802 Thanks
    gallygirl
    It's absolutely glorious here, hope you're coming to Almeria . Cool first thing and at night but between 18 and 24 during the day .
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = £0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 14th Nov 17, 8:44 PM
    • 3,929 Posts
    • 36,198 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Hello,

Sadly we won't be in your neck of the woods, Gally. But the friends we are visiting say it is lovely and warm during the day so I have dragged out a pair of sandals and a couple of dresses. Of course, as mse people we are hand luggage only, and also delivering quality street and other expat goodies so we can't pack too much. Instead we will make use of their washing machine..

One more day of work, then a week in the sun. Followed by another month of work, then off for another six weeks at least. It is an excellent way to balance life. There is never a routine, but we can cope with that!

Has anyone else done the quiz to see in which percentage of the population your income places you? It is on the IFS website. And we also did the This is Money quiz to see where our net worth puts us. Considering that we don't really feel rich, well not in monetary terms, we were scarily high up the scale. Meaning that there are an awful lot of people around who earn and own very little. It is quite humbling. Although house prices in the south east are so stupidly high that I suspect that any home owner in this area would be the same. And unless we wanted to sell up and rent, the money is not much good to us.

Thank you all for the good wishes, see you in a week or so.
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 14th Nov 17, 9:27 PM
    • 4,132 Posts
    • 22,416 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    Just spent a few weeks reading your whole diary - it was very interesting.

Hope you have a fab holiday.
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 15 for November
    NSD - 1/15
    (up to 01/11/17)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 15th Nov 17, 8:52 AM
    • 10,730 Posts
    • 56,073 Thanks
    edinburgher
    As regards income, we're to the right of the middle, but not by much. It'll do, we're not in a high COLA, although inflation is doing its bit to make us feel less well off than we did a few years ago.
    • Teacher2
    • By Teacher2 15th Nov 17, 10:07 AM
    • 500 Posts
    • 2,530 Thanks
    Teacher2
    I daren't look at the IFS 'Where Are you? quiz as we used to have a respectable position on it and now, since retirement and redundancy, we so don't! Where can the 'This is Money' be found? I Googled it but all sorts of nonsense came up. I guess (hope) we would be doing a little better on that though, of course, houses are capital assets but cost a fortune to run so eat through your income.
    Last edited by Teacher2; 15-11-2017 at 10:10 AM.
    • Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    • By Tilly MFW in 6 YRS 15th Nov 17, 2:39 PM
    • 7,755 Posts
    • 86,521 Thanks
    Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    Bon voyage Squirrel. I need to catch up on diaries. Are you planning on buying another camper van once the current one is sold?

I so remember when you became MF. For some reason it seemed to really resonate wth me. Hard to believe it’s already 4 years ago.

Enjoy your travels.

Tilly xx
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

940Posts Today

6,827Users online

Martin's Twitter