Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 28th Aug 10, 7:05 PM
    • 3,929Posts
    • 36,198Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Squirrelling it all away......
    • 28th Aug 10, 7:05 PM
    Squirrelling it all away...... 28th Aug 10 at 7:05 PM
    Hello,

I have been reading the MFW diaries for some months now and am finally in a position to begin some serious overpaying. I intend to overpay £1500 per month in order to finish our mortgage on 1.3.13. It seems a nice symmetrical date.

I have a good full time job, and so does OH. Our children are grown up and it would be great to see an end to the mortgage so that we can enjoy our 'autumn' years! I am 49 and he is 53 so we are still spring chickens really..... The overpayments will mean quite a sacrifice but it really hurts me to see how the banks profit so hugely from us - (how can they charge 7% for loans and pay only 0.25% on an ISA, and still keep a straight face?) - I get quite Mrs Angry when I think about these things, and see how they prey on the careless.

But best not to get me started. I've always been fairly sensible with money but OH really isn't and gets fed up when I talk about it so I hope the diary will inspire me to keep going in the face of his apathy! My intention is to post every couple of days with my ramblings about squirrelling away for the future. I have really enjoyed everybody's diaries and hope that mine will not be too dull!

Thanks for listening

Squirrel
Page 2
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 7th Sep 10, 10:40 PM
    • 3,929 Posts
    • 36,198 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Hello,
    I am still squirrelling even though the start of term has been ver very very busy. And after a few days back in shoes my feet really really hurt! But enough whinging. Monday was a no spend day, which was good, but today was a petrol day (back to the cheap nasty scary petrol station to save 60p on a tank) and i met up with a friend for a film and a snack to avoid the tube strike traffic. Kept it to £16 altogether though which is not bad for London. And I recommend the 'Girl who played with fire' if anyone is thinking of going.

Aiming for no spending tomorrow and Thursday so that I can have a few drinks on Friday night. Let's see if I manage it!

Best wishes to all,

Squirrel
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 8th Sep 10, 9:02 PM
    • 3,929 Posts
    • 36,198 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Hello Diary....

Another no spending day today, which is good as I have realised that we have an expensive weekend at a wedding coming up, as well as the lethal triple combination of MOT, road tax and car insurance. My car is 9 years old and has recently had some expensive repairs so I am hoping it should be OK with the MOT. And I will haggle around for the insurance as always. But there is nothing I can do about the tax except to go for 6 months, which hurts as it costs more in the long run. But I really need it for work so I will just have to pay up and look big!

I often wonder why I am putting myself under this regime when there is absolutely nothing making me. Except for my yearning to be free of as many financial institutions as I can! I was Mortgage free briefly a few years ago when I lived in a little one person house after my divorce. I could have got a bigger house and paid a mortgage, but I really enjoyed the sense that I wasn't tied to my work. Now we have a bigger house and a mortgage again I would really like to recapture that feeling. Even though I love my job you never know what is around the corner (without being too gloomy...!)

So I will keep to my squirrelling ways.

Best wishes,

Squirrel x
    • wynnvegas
    • By wynnvegas 9th Sep 10, 10:51 AM
    • 1,376 Posts
    • 6,392 Thanks
    wynnvegas
    Hi Squirrel,

I think more than anything it's the feeling of satisfaction that encourages the continual pushing. I'm hoping (possibly dependant on M never kicking me out!!) that this will be our last mortgage - even when it comes to building our next house, my aim is to do it a) without a mortgage if at all possible or b) with what will effectively be a bridging mortgage which is no more than the value of our current house. I do watch the odd Grand Designs where people build their house whilst living in a caravan or tent but I value my anatomy too much to even moot the possibility to M!

Keep pushing on....

Cheers,

Billy
    Mortgage Free: 28/10/2010
    Time / Interest Saved: 18.5 years / £61,866.50
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 10th Sep 10, 6:33 PM
    • 3,929 Posts
    • 36,198 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Thank you very much for the encouragement. I don't know if this will be our last house but I am determined it will be our last mortgage. Although when we are MF I will adopt some rather more extravagant habits, I still plan to save and that will fund any future purchases. I could see the point of a big mortgage when prices were soaring but now, saving for a substantial deposit will just mean that you get the house you want cheaper than it was last year! I really worry about my children who believe that a mortgage and cards are just normal. But then I am generally considered to be eccentric by them.....

Last couple of days have been cheap so far although I did splash out the princely sum of 40p on a cup of tea in the staff room. But I am off out with friends to enjoy Friday night. Not too extravagant though - one of us will drive so no cabs, and a few drinks before we go to reduce the bar bill!

Happy weekend everybody

Squirrel x
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 11th Sep 10, 5:27 PM
    • 3,929 Posts
    • 36,198 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Hello,

I am carrying on living frugally this weekend - this diary is really helping me to stay motivated as for some reason it seems to demand total honesty, and I find myself holding back on trivial purchases as I don't want to tell you all about it! Strange, but it is working and I wish I had started a diary long ago when I was still lurking around reading all of yours.

Friday night drinks came in at a paltry £15, probably because we had several before we went out. We have a semi regular girls night, and once we sat at home having our pre-drinks for so long that the pub was closing as we arrived! We're a bit more careful now and do get out by 10 and generally set off home by 12.30 as we're a bit past the clubbing stage....! It's great to get together and catch up.

Today I had to get a wedding present but I had budgeted for that, and it was vouchers which I couldn't shop around for. OH did the food shopping and that was that. We have an arrangement that he does food and contributes to bills, to which I also contribute and then pay. I have gradually got most things off direct debit and pay annually as it tends to be a bit cheaper. I have the easiest job as there isn't much. The mortgage of course, council tax, TV Licence, car stuff, home insurance, gas and electricity. I scout around for good deals at renewal time whn possible and get some good deals, but it is not really arduaous money juggling.

I always looked after the money when I was with my ex and the children were small and we were very poor. I remember it taking me about half an hour to pay the mortgage in the building society as I would have a bit of cash in notes, a bag of pennies, a few pounds to be transferred from each of three different accounts, taking each of them up to their overdraft limits - and no food that week! Life is so much easier now but those days are still with me and I think that is why it hurts to see waste, and to think about the amount of interest the banks took from us in that period, a time when we really needed every penny.
    • wynnvegas
    • By wynnvegas 13th Sep 10, 11:39 AM
    • 1,376 Posts
    • 6,392 Thanks
    wynnvegas
    Hi Squirrel,

Sounds like a well planned, fun and yet relatively inexpensive weekend. We've pretty much dispensed with the going out to pubs in the last wee while as well. Neither of us are big drinkers and the notion of being charged anything up to £3 for a can of coke is beyond my comprehension. On average, we either go over to friends' houses or friends come to us 2-3 nights per week which cost about a tenner between us (for some wine and chocs) and not all that much more when we entertain.

I can appreciate the honesty aspect. It's the daily confessional tomorrow that puts the wee bit of doubt into your mind - a trick most mastered by the wii fit! The amount of times I've not bothered with the cake or chocolate because of the shame of putting pound on the following morning is something to either be proud of or regret - in that it's coming up to lunchtime, regret is winning currently...

It's good that you've got a bit of a shared responsibility with your OH. I take care of everything and anything with our financial arrangements (not that M couldn't - she just cares to spend her time doing "less boring" things) but it must make it easier to have everyone on board and no regular griping about the things that remain off limits.

Cheers,

Billy
    Mortgage Free: 28/10/2010
    Time / Interest Saved: 18.5 years / £61,866.50
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 13th Sep 10, 7:42 PM
    • 3,929 Posts
    • 36,198 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Another Monday......
    Hello,

What a lovely weekend - the sun came out for most of it and I got all my marking done, some gardening, went to a really lovely wedding and had friends round for lunch on Sunday. So also all within budget!

I think that the wedding I went to summed up my philosophy. It was great because everybody was happy, nobody was comparing notes or adding up how much it cost, everybody had chipped in to help with food and decorations, the music was great, we danced loads and caught up with lots of friends and then walked home. What more could you ask. And nobody made any real profit out of a young couple starting out.

For some reason, other couples (often egged on by parents, to their shame) seem to think that the more remote the location, the more expensive the hotel drinks, and the greater the formality, the better the wedding must be. As most of us know that's really not true.

Our Sunday lunch was lovely too . I am very spoilt as OH is an excellent cook. But today I feel a little like an elephant and had to choose something roomy to wear! No big dinners for a few days for us. I am also determined not to go overdrawn this month, even though I have a free limit, so that I will have enough left for some social life next month after making our OP. I have £70 for 10 days. Let's see. I have to buy petrol, some goodies to take to a friend's house on Thursday, and that should be all if I am sensible. But will I be?

Wynnvegas, you seem to share my idea of a good time - you can't beat sitting around with friends and wine - I often wonder why we go to pubs as a group when our houses are nicer, we can hear each other and our toilets are definitely cleaner!

However, I have some freebie theatre tickets for tomorrow night, and I do like free entertainment!

Best wishes to all,

Squirrel

PS Please can someone tell me how to add a signature?
  • Baby steps
    Well done for the fun weekend within budget, as me and my friends have realised as we got older. A cheap night in (nice dinner, wine and some reality TV if the night allows) can be a really cheap alternative to the pub!

To change your signature all you need to do is at the top of the page (in the green bar it says user CP), click on this and under the settings and options (right hand side) it says edit signature, you can then enter what you want and click ok to save.

Hope you enjoyed your monday
    Mortgage @ 01.06.10 £165,999
    Mortgage @ 31.10.13 £14,664
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 15th Sep 10, 7:29 PM
    • 3,929 Posts
    • 36,198 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Thank you Baby Steps. I will dig out my mortgage info and add a signature asap.

Monday was good, but Tuesday was better. We had freebie theatre tickets, the play was very good, and even better for a midweek event, only 100 minutes long with no interval! So not too late - I need my early nights as I get to work by 7am to clear as much as I can before those pesky children start arriving and expecting to be taught.... Midweek nights out are harder to cope with as I get older so I don't usually go out until at least Thursday!

My MOT is due next month but I was alarmed to see what looked like an oil puddle under my car today. Hope it's not mine, but to be safe I have booked it in for a check up and MOT next week instead. Grrrrrrrrr. Extra expense! Watching a DVD with spag bol tonight. Lovely.

Best wishes - hope you all have a nice evening,

Squirrel
    • *Jellie*
    • By *Jellie* 15th Sep 10, 9:25 PM
    • 2,949 Posts
    • 13,373 Thanks
    *Jellie*
    Hi!
    I've still got to sort out my signature again!
    Good luck with getting the mortgage paid off!

Well and truly fell off wagon!...2017 Womble #9 Gave up counting :-( Saving for Christmas 2017 #46 £250/ £520. 365 Day Penny Challenge in 2017 gave up! VSP 2017 # Gave up SPC 10. Stashbusting projects lost track! Crazy clothes challenge 2017 #12 £350/200.....oops!
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 16th Sep 10, 7:28 PM
    • 3,929 Posts
    • 36,198 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Thank you!
    Thanks, Jellie.

Nice to receive some encouragement. I am a bit fed up today. Mostly with OH. I know I will sound like a right misery but..... I leave the house at 6 and get home between 6 and 7. He leaves at 8.30 and gets in at 5.30... I don't really need to write the rest do I? If I just put in a few key words like washing, tidying, dishwasher you can work it out for yourself. Nothing new there. And I am just so tired I could weep. He has stomped off to the supermarket in a huff because I couldn't think about what I want for dinner on Saturday. If only that was all I had to worry about. And I am supposed to be going to visit a friend tonight for a get together and now I am too pathetic to have fun. And I have all the tidying to do. This posting is really just work avoidance. So I will grit my teeth and get on with it.

Very best wishes to all,

Squirrel
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 16th Sep 10, 7:47 PM
    • 16,454 Posts
    • 107,802 Thanks
    gallygirl

Nice to receive some encouragement. I am a bit fed up today. Mostly with OH. I know I will sound like a right misery but..... I leave the house at 6 and get home between 6 and 7. He leaves at 8.30 and gets in at 5.30... I don't really need to write the rest do I? If I just put in a few key words like washing, tidying, dishwasher you can work it out for yourself. Nothing new there.
    Originally posted by Secret Saving Squirrel
    Oh yes, and then you'll get told 'I put on the dishwasher for you' .

Oh dear squirrel, now I remember why OH and I don't live together . Never mind, you can have a nice rest at the weekend and a surprise dinner on Saturday night. And if you are so tired you could weep - then do weep, it will relieve the pressure for you. Have a dodgy hug
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = £0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • *Jellie*
    • By *Jellie* 16th Sep 10, 9:34 PM
    • 2,949 Posts
    • 13,373 Thanks
    *Jellie*
    Hope your friend cheered you up! Big hugs.
    I have times when I feel like this too! Luckily OH generally realizes then that he needs to be more supportive round the house! He really does his best but our main problem is that I feel the house needs to be cleaned regularly whereas he will get a duster out when the tv screen is no longer visible!

Well and truly fell off wagon!...2017 Womble #9 Gave up counting :-( Saving for Christmas 2017 #46 £250/ £520. 365 Day Penny Challenge in 2017 gave up! VSP 2017 # Gave up SPC 10. Stashbusting projects lost track! Crazy clothes challenge 2017 #12 £350/200.....oops!
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 17th Sep 10, 5:40 PM
    • 3,929 Posts
    • 36,198 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Thank you very much for cheering a tired old squirrel! My friends did cheer me up but I was still fed up when I got home, and then this morning my car broke down on the way to work. I had to call the RAC and carry on by bus and then I really did weep. Lots and lots, whilst waiting for the RAC man. I was on a double yellow, and someone asked me to move, when I looked up he saw me wailing and backed off, clearly terrified! I wonder if that works with traffic wardens?.....

Anyway, onwards and upwards, a productive day at work, no major naughtiness and now it is the weekend. I have been too tired to spend anything for the last few days (good thing, what with the car...) and I am aiming for a no spend weekend as we have family coming round and the shopping is already done. I am determined to make my OP on the 24th and start reducing those huge numbers.

Best wishes to you all,

Squirrel
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    • NeverEnough
    • By NeverEnough 17th Sep 10, 9:44 PM
    • 907 Posts
    • 735 Thanks
    NeverEnough
    Oh Squirrel, it all gets overwhelming at times, doesn't it? Hope the weekend is a nice quiet one and that your car repair wasn't too expensive. Sometimes all the mundane stuff really gets to me after a difficult day at work, luckily OH helps where possible.

Have a great weekend and enjoy the family visit. x
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 18th Sep 10, 3:13 PM
    • 3,929 Posts
    • 36,198 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Fresh start
    Hello there and thank you for visiting! I know it doesn't really matter whether anyone reads this as it is really for my own motivation - but somehow it does matter! It's nice when someone chips in with a kind word!

It is 3pm on Saturday and I am just about to begin my weekend. I was up at 8 and started schoolwork (I'm the teacher, not the student - as you can probably tell!) and apart from two short food breaks and an hour when my gorgeous grandchildren popped in with their dad, I've been working. Just finished now and not thinking about it again until Monday.

I still don't know the damage on my car as the garage can't do it until Monday so even more important to hold on to my pennies this weekend. So I think some gardening, followed by a lovely bonfire and a nice dinner cooked by OH, who knows he has been out of order and won't say so but is making amends. And tomorrow a good long family lunch.

We keep plodding on, big hug to all saving their pennies this weekend,

Squirrel
    • *Jellie*
    • By *Jellie* 18th Sep 10, 8:04 PM
    • 2,949 Posts
    • 13,373 Thanks
    *Jellie*
    Have a lovely weekend. You were very good to get your work out of the way. I've got my pile of marking looking at me while I take it easy. Might attack it first thing tomorrow so I can forget about it until Monday.

• julliff
    Hi Squirrel

I am following your diary, you are doing a marvellous job. I haven't even contemplated trying to have NSDs!

Your Saturday sounded nice, hope it turned out the way you wanted it. Did you get all your gardening done?
    "Carpe Diem"
    MFW - Starting mortgage April 2010 - 120,000
    MFW - restart Nov 2013 - £70207.88 & £14086.49
    Current balance - £62459.49 & £10380.19

• Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 19th Sep 10, 11:58 AM
    • 3,929 Posts
    • 36,198 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Sunday
    Hello all,

We achieved the no spend Saturday, the bonfire went up well and we had a nice cosy dinner with just a little wine.... And so we got up a little late too. But all free! And we plan to continue today.

Will have to get a train home from work tomorrow as I am carless, but I can get a lift in, which is much easier and of course free...
    Apart from the car, I don't think I have to buy anything during next week, apart from a cup of tea when our reading group get together. I get paid on Friday and will probably go out on Friday night to celebrate and then on Saturday I will do my banking and realise that I can't do that again for the rest of the month!

Hello Jellie and Juliff. I did get the gardening done in that I had enough for a bonfire - but it is a never ending job and I could do with another hour today. What do you teach Jellie? My subject is English and I seem to have a particularly illiterate gang this year! Nearly used up a red pen!

Have a good Sunday everybody

Squirrel

x
    Last edited by Secret Saving Squirrel; 19-09-2010 at 12:01 PM.
    • NeverEnough
    • By NeverEnough 20th Sep 10, 8:42 AM
    • 907 Posts
    • 735 Thanks
    NeverEnough
    Hello Squirrel, hope this will be a good Money Saving week for you and that the news about the car won't be too bad. I'm packing up at my rented accommodation right now to finally go home at the end of the week - my contract ended a few days ago. Yay!! I suppose I'm jobless at this stage, but luckily have savings put by to have a brief break, get back home and I am shortlisted for an job with interview on 28th Sept. Not too worried as havn't had any leave for around 4 years now!!

Have a good day - hope its a no spend one - I managed a no spend weekend, must be the first one ever!!!

x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

843Posts Today

6,570Users online

Martin's Twitter