Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 25th Sep 17, 6:40 PM
    • 23,276Posts
    • 40,664Thanks
    ZTD
    And now the fuse is lit...
    • 25th Sep 17, 6:40 PM
    And now the fuse is lit... 25th Sep 17 at 6:40 PM
    Well...

I have a house. And a mortgage. Took years and cost a fortune, as Batman said once.

Don't talk to me about surveys (though this one at "so so" was better than many). Or surveyors (I wouldn't use this one again - seemed scared of ladders). Or vendors (though this one was great). Or estate agents (this one was truly dreadful). Or solicitors (though this one was great).

I don't suppose this diary is going to be much about finances or mortgages, because let's face it, apart from a little kerfuffle once a month (when I get paid) nothing much seems to happen. It'll probably just being rude about things, and encouraging others to be rude too...

Welcome aboard the mortgage diary. Hopefully it will be an express elevator to hell - going down!

Twenty five years seems a long time otherwise...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
Page 9
    • michelle09
    • By michelle09 11th Nov 17, 11:29 AM
    • 395 Posts
    • 1,481 Thanks
    michelle09
    Ah, well at least you have the borrowing facility - is it a lot to get back in?

Feel you on the retirement. OH's pension cashes out at 61 and while my retirement age is 68 I have no plans to let OH sit at home for 7 years while I go out to work.
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 11th Nov 17, 6:30 PM
    • 23,276 Posts
    • 40,664 Thanks
    ZTD
    Ah, well at least you have the borrowing facility - is it a lot to get back in?
    Originally posted by michelle09
    It would have been about £2K pcm - which is way beyond me. With a bit of financial jiggery pokery I've managed to bring that down to £1K pcm. Hopefully by making the T's&C's on various things sweat, I can bring that down a little bit further as well.

I only need to appear solvent overnight...

Feel you on the retirement. OH's pension cashes out at 61 and while my retirement age is 68 I have no plans to let OH sit at home for 7 years while I go out to work.
    Originally posted by michelle09
    Well I've been ill for some time and it's getting no better - as I suppose I should expect. Work takes a big chunk of my time and a bigger chunk of my energy. I probably should have given up work already, though it would seem my 30% is better than a lot of people's 100%...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Nov 17, 8:39 PM
    • 48,544 Posts
    • 178,747 Thanks
    beanielou
    1k a month
    Lies in a darkened room.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 11th Nov 17, 10:04 PM
    • 23,276 Posts
    • 40,664 Thanks
    ZTD
    1k a month
    Lies in a darkened room.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Oh yes...not even pedigree chum for me. I'll be eating the Pound Emporium "Unlucky Hedgehog" brand...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Nov 17, 10:25 PM
    • 48,544 Posts
    • 178,747 Thanks
    beanielou
    Oh yes...not even pedigree chum for me. I'll be eating the Pound Emporium "Unlucky Hedgehog" brand...
    Originally posted by ZTD

Bread & water for you

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 12th Nov 17, 12:34 PM
    • 28,070 Posts
    • 154,326 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Because I "borrowed" out of my flexible ISA to fund my deposit. It's going to be a struggle to put back all of it before the end of the financial year. If I don't then that "borrow" turns into a withdrawal. Which I don't want to do. I'm trying to fund an early retirement now - I've decided I don't like work...
    Originally posted by ZTD
    Hope you make it.

It's good to know these things about ourselves. "I don't like work" - I wish I'd known that about myself a long time ago
    Retired August 2016
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 12th Nov 17, 3:20 PM
    • 23,276 Posts
    • 40,664 Thanks
    ZTD
    Hope you make it.
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Oh I will. When I want something (which is surprisingly rare) I plan and execute. Of course things can go wrong (usually my health), but that's what contingency plans are for.

It's good to know these things about ourselves. "I don't like work" - I wish I'd known that about myself a long time ago
    I've known it for well over a decade. However, when I became ill, so many people tried, so many times, and so many different ways, to finish me, that sticking around became my Biblical message to them of "You can go forth rightly and multiply..."

However the price for that has been the home/life balance is just a work balance. I earn Cava wages and live a Tesco Value lager lifestyle...

I need that to change at some point, fix myself up and do more things I enjoy, rather than just need doing. Work drains too much time and too much energy, and the grim determination which gets me through is becoming too grim.
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 12th Nov 17, 3:35 PM
    • 28,070 Posts
    • 154,326 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Lots of warning signs in that last paragraph, Z! You definitely sound like you need more things you enjoy: they don't have to cost a lot by any means, but they do need to be included in your energy budget, so to speak. You *know* I'm speaking from experience! And I know you know the point I'm making .... I know you know I know....
    Retired August 2016
    • Butti
    • By Butti 12th Nov 17, 4:42 PM
    • 4,527 Posts
    • 11,945 Thanks
    Butti
    Oh I will. When I want something (which is surprisingly rare) I plan and execute. Of course things can go wrong (usually my health), but that's what contingency plans are for.

I've known it for well over a decade. However, when I became ill, so many people tried, so many times, and so many different ways, to finish me, that sticking around became my Biblical message to them of "You can go forth rightly and multiply..."

However the price for that has been the home/life balance is just a work balance. I earn Cava wages and live a Tesco Value lager lifestyle...

I need that to change at some point, fix myself up and do more things I enjoy, rather than just need doing. Work drains too much time and too much energy, and the grim determination which gets me through is becoming too grim.
    Originally posted by ZTD
    That sounds worrying!
    Debt LBM (08/09) £11,641. (08/12) £22,734. (10/14) £9127 (2/15N )£7790
    Diary 'Butti's journey : A matter of loaf or death'.
    'one day I will be rich and famous…for now I'll just have to settle for being poor and incredibly sexy'. Vimrod Member of MIKE'S MOB NSD June 2/7
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Nov 17, 9:06 PM
    • 48,544 Posts
    • 178,747 Thanks
    beanielou
    Time to do something about it dear Z.
    Only you can do it.
    Time to start making plans.
    Life is too short not to.

• ZTD
    • By ZTD 12th Nov 17, 10:02 PM
    • 23,276 Posts
    • 40,664 Thanks
    ZTD
    Lots of warning signs in that last paragraph, Z! You definitely sound like you need more things you enjoy: they don't have to cost a lot by any means, but they do need to be included in your energy budget, so to speak.
    Unfortunately, with working I have an energy deficit rather than budget. Hence the forward planning.

That sounds worrying!
    Originally posted by Butti
    What in particular? Comparing myself to Tesco Value Lager?

Time to do something about it dear Z.
    Only you can do it.
    Time to start making plans.
    Life is too short not to.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    I've been making plans for a while. I've been looking at places to "retire" to and how much it costs to live. I may well end up staying where I am though.
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 13th Nov 17, 1:09 PM
    • 8,149 Posts
    • 43,014 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Having recently had a short but very sharp shock in relation to the "life is short" message myself, and specifically in relation to the fact that taking some care of yourself can really pay dividends, I'm going to urge you to press ahead with any aspects of changing your life for the better that don't require cold hard cash to execute. It might be as simple as making some time to get out in the fresh air on a regular basis, or making some small changes to your diet, but whatever, in the "old school" MSE vernacular "Just F'in do it!"
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£632.77 (20/11/17)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 14th Nov 17, 7:49 PM
    • 23,276 Posts
    • 40,664 Thanks
    ZTD
    An interesting new road to hell has recently opened up.

http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2017/10/24/does-pendragon-signal-the-start-of-another-debt-crisis/

Would be ironic that things go south because used car prices crash rather than used house prices...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 14th Nov 17, 8:28 PM
    • 16,455 Posts
    • 107,807 Thanks
    gallygirl
    An interesting new road to hell has recently opened up.

http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2017/10/24/does-pendragon-signal-the-start-of-another-debt-crisis/

Would be ironic that things go south because used car prices crash rather than used house prices...
    Originally posted by ZTD
    Note to self - don't lend any money for car financing on P2P sites .
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = £0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 14th Nov 17, 9:56 PM
    • 23,276 Posts
    • 40,664 Thanks
    ZTD
    Note to self - don't lend any money for car financing on P2P sites .
    Originally posted by gallygirl
    I think the point of the blog post was not necessarily on the car "leaser" failing to pay, but that they'd do the lease and then give the car back as agreed. Then the finance house would discover the (now used) car to be worth much less than they assumed. At this point the finance house would have financial problems.

Spread across a lot of banks, suddenly that's a systemic problem...

Of course reducing car sales themselves could be a "canary in the coalmine", but that still remains to be seen. (IMHO)
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 15th Nov 17, 8:27 PM
    • 16,455 Posts
    • 107,807 Thanks
    gallygirl
    I think the point of the blog post was not necessarily on the car "leaser" failing to pay, but that they'd do the lease and then give the car back as agreed. Then the finance house would discover the (now used) car to be worth much less than they assumed. At this point the finance house would have financial problems.

Spread across a lot of banks, suddenly that's a systemic problem...

Of course reducing car sales themselves could be a "canary in the coalmine", but that still remains to be seen. (IMHO)
    Originally posted by ZTD
    Agreed Z but still best to avoid overall I think!
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = £0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • Butti
    • By Butti 15th Nov 17, 10:31 PM
    • 4,527 Posts
    • 11,945 Thanks
    Butti
    I think it's quite hard to keep the mileage rate down to a level which meet s their expectations!
    Debt LBM (08/09) £11,641. (08/12) £22,734. (10/14) £9127 (2/15N )£7790
    Diary 'Butti's journey : A matter of loaf or death'.
    'one day I will be rich and famous…for now I'll just have to settle for being poor and incredibly sexy'. Vimrod Member of MIKE'S MOB NSD June 2/7
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 16th Nov 17, 12:08 AM
    • 23,276 Posts
    • 40,664 Thanks
    ZTD
    I think it's quite hard to keep the mileage rate down to a level which meet s their expectations!
    Originally posted by Butti
    Well that's the old, old story of decreasing the advertised rate by pumping up the penalty rate.

You can set the mileage to what you want - but anything above the minimum will cost - though that's not reflected on comparison tables/advertising.

Although leasing may make sense for me as I do few miles, I tend to buy the car I want (second hand), then run it into the ground. Probably not the best way, but at least I'm not concerned about resale value/money owed ratios...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th Nov 17, 9:25 AM
    • 28,070 Posts
    • 154,326 Thanks
    Karmacat
    A friend of mine does that, Z, with cars that she buys - I've known her for 30 years, and she's only had 3 cars
    Retired August 2016
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 16th Nov 17, 1:24 PM
    • 8,149 Posts
    • 43,014 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Well that's the old, old story of decreasing the advertised rate by pumping up the penalty rate.

You can set the mileage to what you want - but anything above the minimum will cost - though that's not reflected on comparison tables/advertising.

Although leasing may make sense for me as I do few miles, I tend to buy the car I want (second hand), then run it into the ground. Probably not the best way, but at least I'm not concerned about resale value/money owed ratios...
    Originally posted by ZTD
    Precisely our approach these days with MrEH's car - when the MoT Test starts to show a tendancy for them to cost more money than we're happy with, they go in part exchange against the next banger in line. First one cost us £2.3k, lasted 4 years, part-ex'd for £400 against the current one which cost £2k and is still running OK after 3 years... Long may that continue.

My car was bought brand new *just* ahead of me embarking on the MSE journey, so is 10 years old in a fortnight. She'll stick about again until she starts to cost money, at which point we'll most likely replace with something about 3 years old.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£632.77 (20/11/17)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

192Posts Today

2,158Users online

Martin's Twitter