Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Outsider_83
    • By Outsider_83 13th Nov 17, 9:11 PM
    • 92Posts
    • 7Thanks
    Outsider_83
    Weird scenario at the Bank
    • 13th Nov 17, 9:11 PM
    Weird scenario at the Bank 13th Nov 17 at 9:11 PM
    I was in a bank today and a customer within the branch was complaining that some racist language had been carved into one of the tables, obviously some customer graffiti.

However I was wondering what the bank can realistically do apart from removing the offending words? The man complaining said he was offended and wanted a good will gesture, surely the bank can't be blamed?
Page 2
    • northwalesd
    • By northwalesd 14th Nov 17, 1:01 PM
    • 216 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    northwalesd
    Saying "if you're offended, get over it" is all well and good (and I'll wager comes from people who have never had to deal with endemic racism in their lives, by the by) but I'd hope we all have enough civic pride and belief in being civil to others to recognise that having racist graffiti left up is something worth complaining about.
    Originally posted by JuicyJesus
    It is absolutely worth complaining about, but sticking your hand out for money...
    • societys child
    • By societys child 14th Nov 17, 8:21 PM
    • 4,816 Posts
    • 5,249 Thanks
    societys child
    I'd hope we all have enough civic pride and belief in being civil to others to recognise that having racist graffiti left up is something worth complaining about.
    Originally posted by JuicyJesus
    Point it out, yes, but complain (to people who didn't cause it) and demand cash because your offended?

Sounds like a scam anyway.

• Outsider_83
    • By Outsider_83 15th Nov 17, 10:48 AM
    • 92 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Outsider_83
    I popped back in today, the area has been cordoned off. I asked out of interest what had happened, the staff member advised that someone had put "inappropriate" graffiti on a bench that was subsequently picked up on by another customer. I'm led to believe that money was paid out to the "injured party".
    • JuicyJesus
    • By JuicyJesus 15th Nov 17, 11:47 AM
    • 3,041 Posts
    • 3,156 Thanks
    JuicyJesus
    I popped back in today, the area has been cordoned off. I asked out of interest what had happened, the staff member advised that someone had put "inappropriate" graffiti on a bench that was subsequently picked up on by another customer. I'm led to believe that money was paid out to the "injured party".
    Originally posted by Outsider_83
    Sad that they paid out to be honest. Probably inevitable because someone wanting money for such a thing probably knows it'd have cost them £550.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
    • Outsider_83
    • By Outsider_83 15th Nov 17, 12:13 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Outsider_83
    £550, really?
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 15th Nov 17, 1:38 PM
    • 10,696 Posts
    • 6,988 Thanks
    bigadaj
    There's a standard cost that the bank has to pay when a non frivolous claim is referred to the regulator, however anecdotally it's a lot less than £500 for the major players, so the compo, if p[aid, could be much less.

You'd expect something like this to be dealt with in a similar way to potholes, the 'injured' party would have to claim the owner has been negligent, and not check within a defined period or been previously advised.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 15th Nov 17, 3:58 PM
    • 8,517 Posts
    • 5,046 Thanks
    teddysmum
    The customers should now all be offended because the bank wasted money that they will have to make up for in fees or poor interest.

Racism isn't nice but it is represented as one way, when the truth is that it goes both ways but one is ignored.
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 15th Nov 17, 9:22 PM
    • 4,214 Posts
    • 1,291 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    There's a standard cost that the bank has to pay when a non frivolous claim is referred to the regulator, however anecdotally it's a lot less than £500 for the major players, so the compo, if p[aid, could be much less.

You'd expect something like this to be dealt with in a similar way to potholes, the 'injured' party would have to claim the owner has been negligent, and not check within a defined period or been previously advised.
    Originally posted by bigadaj
    It not the regulator - It's the Financial Ombudsmen Scheme.

I hope that bank decided the 'offended' individual isn't worth doing business with and closed his/her accounts.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 16th Nov 17, 12:05 AM
    • 5,805 Posts
    • 5,693 Thanks
    eskbanker
    I hope that bank decided the 'offended' individual isn't worth doing business with and closed his/her accounts.
    Originally posted by Heng Leng
    Just imagine how that individual would respond to being, er, blacklisted....
    • Kernel Sanders
    • By Kernel Sanders 19th Nov 17, 2:44 PM
    • 3,186 Posts
    • 1,318 Thanks
    Kernel Sanders
    The customers should now all be offended because the bank wasted money that they will have to make up for in fees or poor interest.
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    I am offended too. So, which bank was it?.....
    It not the regulator - It's the Financial Ombudsmen Scheme.
    Originally posted by Heng Leng
    Think I'll make a claim against them too, implying that women aren't welcome in applying for such a role.
    Last edited by Kernel Sanders; 19-11-2017 at 2:49 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,433Posts Today

9,314Users online

Martin's Twitter