Re-gas the aircon in my car?

Comments

• In the Poole / Bournemouth area, PooleCool does a basic regas for £40, and can also regas older cars with r12 systems and locate and repair most leaks. Service is mobile and available evenings and weekends.
  • goldspanners
    goldspanners Posts: 5,910 Forumite
    Meeten wrote: »
    Anyone know of someone that will come to Perth to regas my air con?
    Weather is getting better and I have realised that it is warm air blowing out instead of cold :confused:

surely you must mean perth australia? i havent seen any good weather for weeks now. :confused:
    ...work permit granted!
  • jeannieblue
    jeannieblue Posts: 4,761
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    ossie wrote: »
    Got my Aircon checked out I was told that Aircon does not normally need regassing. It is a sealed unit.

It was a faulty compressor. Vauxhall want £760 to supply and fit a new one.

Guess its open windows from now on.
    You can get very good pattern compressors - generally speaking, vauxhall parts are quite reasonably priced - but their labour rates could be high - that sounds rather expensive to me.

Re the gas recharge - we charge £50 inc VAT - an extra £10 to dye it if we suspect a leak.

A/C is a sealed unit - but in saying that, over time, it may need a recharge. If it is found that there is near to no gas in the system we may suspect a leak and insert the dye, which helps us to trace the leak.

The A/C should be run throughout the year, say for around 5-10 minutes a week to keep the pump etc in good working order. If you don't use it. then suddenly switch it on, the pump can seize and you can face problems of having to fork out for a new pump!

In saying that, I've not had mine on for months - and I should know better :o:o:o
    Genie
    Master Technician
  • ghandi
    ghandi Posts: 135 Forumite
    The A/C should be run throughout the year, say for around 5-10 minutes a week to keep the pump etc in good working order. If you don't use it. then suddenly switch it on, the pump can seize and you can face problems of having to fork out for a new pump!

The reason for running your aircon regularly is to get the lubricant in the gas around the system, it does help prevent the seals from hardening as well as general lubrication.

Also note if you have been running without gas (mainly due to a leak) for a while it may be worth getting the 'dryer' (removes mositure in system!) changed or if you want ask the re-gasser(!) to 'vac down' for a while which should remove some moisture.

Aircon is one of those systems that likes to be used constantly but is bad for engine performance/fuel usage, but then having the windows open adds drag/affects fuel efficiency (a lengthy debate!).
  • jeannieblue
    Forumite
    Driers aren't particularly cheap - and you added good comments on there that I omitted - but I am tired and fed up really with cars, as its Friday!
    Genie
    Master Technician
  • neil9313
    neil9313 Posts: 696 Forumite
    Driers aren't particularly cheap - and you added good comments on there that I omitted - but I am tired and fed up really with cars, as its Friday!

More bad advice! :rolleyes:
  • jeannieblue
    Forumite
    neil9313 wrote: »
    More bad advice! :rolleyes:
    Gosh you must be bored Mr Troll - you've followed my posts round lots of threads now.

Bless, hope you find a life soon. And no, I don't fancy you :D
    Genie
    Master Technician
  • Viper_7
    Viper_7 Posts: 1,220 Forumite
    Don't use the re-gas kits. they are a waste of money and won't last. Give it 12 months and you'll be back to where you were again.
    Proper job requires a minimum of vacuuming the system for an hour and full re-gas.

Just changing the gas is a rubbish job.
  • jeannieblue
    Forumite
    Viper_7 wrote: »
    Don't use the re-gas kits. they are a waste of money and won't last. Give it 12 months and you'll be back to where you were again.
    Proper job requires a minimum of vacuuming the system for an hour and full re-gas.

Just changing the gas is a rubbish job.
    Agree - and thank you for getting back to the subject of thread! ;)
    Genie
    Master Technician
  • devizes18193
    devizes18193 Posts: 1,594
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    hi I used a firm called wessex air con about 2 years agao cost £40 in the october of the year . the guy came to my door and did the work . he reckoned his frim did the work at the local kick fit etc
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure