Christmas Savings 2014

Happy New Year Everyone :j

I LOVE Christmas! And since being a child I have always loved to spoil other people, ..however trying to get organised during the year I seem to spend a fortune from making the most of 'bargain' deals on HUKD on Grabbits board etc etc this has led to a huge 'present' cupboard which is great but still means I spend too money on things that are not necessarily saving me money!

I had made hampers for most people this year and they were just ridiculous, my husband rolled his eyes at me and said that I need to cut back (I agree) I still hadn't finished buying my own kids presents by December so I'm Definately not getting my priorities right either!!

I've just started a Direct Debit with Park Christmas Saving Scheme to run till November as I thought I will save money THEN just buy one present per person rather than buying 'bargains' during the year!

I have also opted to have all my tesco clubcard points saved till November, as I do most of my shopping there, does anybody have any more ideas with Christmas saving? I don't want to become a Scrooge as I still enjoy the giving aspect of Christmas, but its affecting our family finances which is just stupid!

Thanks for reading :)
Second purse £34.75/£50.00
Third purse £0.00

Paying £5.00 a week in second purse

Total stockpile value

Comments

• littleredhen
    littleredhen Posts: 3,280 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I would use your tesco vouchers for going out through the year to save money I.e cineworld and pizza express, then you could put the money you have saved into a pot??
    I would also make a list of what you want to buy people and tick off throughout the year as you get it
    The mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work unless it’s open.:o

A winner listens, a loser just waits until it is their turn to talk:)
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 2 January 2014 at 7:59PM
    I would try to get out of the idea of making hampers or home made things. Its a lovely idea I know but I imagine costs an absolute bomb to put an hamper together.

Don't we all talk about BOGOF's, Whoopsies and 'wasting money on food shopping' etc then attempt to make an hamper to save money on presents. ;)

Stick to a limit, say £10 per person and keep your eyes peeled all year. Make a list of people to buy for and put it somewhere where you will see it and keep it updated. Remember Birthdays as well ;)

Regarding Tesco's vouchers, I save mine to use before Christmas and Summer Holidays. The double up scheme is no good to me so I spend them on normal shopping, (not buying a zillion extra things for xmas then never using them). Then use that weeks shopping money on presents or to top up holiday spending.
  • Jacksmummy
    Jacksmummy Posts: 226 Forumite
    I also fell into the trap of buying lots of bits throughout the year last year and realised I spent an absolute fortune when the total costs were added up, so this year is going to be so different I'm determined to stay away from sales not even bought my usual stash of wrapping paper, cards or crackers

I too have joined park hampers this year, I've ordered £750 worth of vouchers, this will cover Christmas presents, food, ds's birthday presents which is just after Christmas and a few birthdays in feb, march, april and June.
    I have my tesco club card points sent to me once a yr normally they arrive around Nov, this year I had £30 odd pound whe doubled up and a £20 off a £100 spend I managed to get ds a hudl tablet for xmas for a total of £24 so that was his main presents sorted but next yr I want to use the points to put towards a new tv for our bedroom, that will be mine and dh's xmas present to ourselves.

I've also started the £1 per day challenge the tin will be opened on new yrs eve along with another savings tin that any money made off sales either from eb@y or faceb00k for sale pages.
    G.C July £21.09/£100

• zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"]forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].

Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• Really appreciate your advice and ideas, think I will start the pound a day challenge too! :T
    Second purse £34.75/£50.00
    Third purse £0.00

Paying £5.00 a week in second purse

Total stockpile value
  • Reen73
    Reen73 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Hi I am a newbie, have been lurking on the OS and Christmas boards for a couple of years. I. LOVE. CHRISTMAS!!! But this year spent way too much on son and husband so this year I am joining you and will be keeping a sealed pot, selling on eBay and saving all supermarket points for the festivities.

I am also going to cut back completely as we are currently on a single low wage!!!
    Determined to be money neutral this year
    50p pot: 5.00/£50.00
    Sealed pot: 33.80/???????
  • duloch
    duloch Posts: 396 Forumite
    I save with variety for christmas vouchers, have done for a good few years now and it makes such a big difference for me. One thing I am changing (so far so good) is not to buy any stuff in the sales for birthdays and christmas. I usually find that I buy for the sake of it and come December I buy more presents, so this year I plan to just buy one present per person and take adavntage of the offers come November/December. I also plan to do the £1 a day challege
  • richardvc
    richardvc Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    We save and list all year - picking up bits and pieces as we go and it means Christmas is never a worry.

Please don't think I am being critical here but why do you need to save with Park ? Just open a small savings account and that way you are not giving your money to someone else.

One present we have done a number of times which is great is take people out for afternoon tea. We have a nice hotel around here that does it for £12 per head and it makes a pleasant afternoon out and you get to spend TIME with people rather than just a gift.

Anyway, good luck !
    Thanks to MSE I cleared £37k of debt in five years and I was lucky enough to meet Martin to thank him personally.
  • carlamarie_2
    carlamarie_2 Posts: 1,038 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I am going to give my mum £10 a week starting next week which she will look after until early December. I work it out that I will have £470. This is earmarked for panto, cinema, Father Christmas trip, any other trips, new clothes for Boxing Day (were a pj wearing family on xmas day) food and anything extra we want or need. £100 of this will also be for my nieces, nephews and little brothers christmas and birthday gifts. Anything left over will get family gifts.

I am also going to start the £1 a day challenge, until early December. This is with the hope that I can get my hubby and rest of my families gifts.

In a Addition to this, I am going into bank next week to open a savings account, any spare change at the end of the week will be transferred into the account. This is more an experiment to see how quickly it adds up.

Other than that, I will continue to pick up gifts throughout the year for my own kids which I find cheap and I know they will like. Then dh and I will make a list of what the kids want in November and he buys the bulk of their gifts.

I have struggled this year and hopefully these challenges will make next December a lot more comfortable for me, I just hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew!
    Mummy to ds 29/12/06 dd 10/2/08 ds 25/5/11
    :Amy angel born too soon 18/11/12, always with me Emmie Faith:A

15 projects in 2015 10/15completed
  • IrishRose12
    IrishRose12 Posts: 1,732 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 4 January 2014 at 6:00PM
    I'm thinking of looking into the Park Savings scheme also. Have to do a bit more research on it as I know nothing about it. I'm also going to look into the Tesco stamps saving scheme. Thinking of doing 4 cards, one for myself, one for my sister and one for my mum and one for mum-in-law, which will be £4 a week, then come December that will be £50 off the Christmas Shopping.

Am also going to do the £1 a day for Christmas presents and that should have me covered with money left over to spend elsewhere :)

I've already picked up some gifts for nieces nephews and other family members in Boots and Superdrug half price sales, and put them into a suitcase for next Christmas. The boots sets I paid with using my Boots points I saved throughout the last year.
    Pay all debt off by Christmas 2024 £537/£3,500£1 a day challenge 2024 - £91/£730 Declutter a bag a week in 2024 6/52Lose 24lb - 3/24lbs Read 1 book per week - 5/52Pay off credit card debt 7/100%
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure