Renal Cat Food

Options
Hi,

My cat needs a special diet of Renal cat food. I get on average 4 boxes of 12 sachets each month from the vets which costs me nearly £30. :eek:

Does anyone know where I can get it from cheaper? It's the Waltham brand.

Comments

• mountainofdebt
    Options
    There's this website :

http://www.animalmedicines.co.uk

Don't know how good they are as I've never used them though.
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.
    Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The renal diet does not have to have bought on a prescription so you can buy it elsewhere. However, I could not find it anywhere cheaper than my vets - who also gave me money back for any unopened sachets I returned. You can get wet or dry food.

(I remember asking a similar question to yours on this site some time back).

As well as the Walthams, there is also Hills Prescription kd (no prescription required) plus I've just googled and found these -

http://www.bestpetpharmacy.co.uk/search_results.asp?sec=154

(Never supplement Kaminox without a vet's say so as the cat will require regular monitoring).

Switching a cat to a renal diet is not easy - my cat went through it. I say went through it - because she is now back on normal food.

I could tell you lots more which may not really interest most people here (unless they have a renally insufficient cat) so feel free to PM me if you need any info generally on coping with a cat with renal problems.

I will say however, is make sure the diagnosis IS correct. Get a second opinion if necessary and if she refuses to eat it - give her anything she will eat. A cat with renal problems cannot afford not to eat.

The diet helped my cat initially by getting her creatine levels down - but after 9 months or she became extremely ill in other ways. In desperation I took her off the diet as she had stopped eating and lost so much weight. Since then, she has not looked back and she's like a kitten all over again.

good luck

The vet cannot explain it - but won't admit, as I susepect, she was misdiagnosed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure