PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Dropped Kerb

Does anyone know how much a dropped kerb costs to have put in?
I looked on the council website and it basically said "it depends" with no other info!
We are looking to put in an offer and the house has off street parking round the back but alot of the other houses have drives and there is space for one, so it would seem sensible to get a dropped kerb if the cost isn't prohibitive!

Any ball park figures, or what you have paid would help.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Councils can, I believe, charge what they want for this facility. I would phone them up and ask first thing on Monday. Or will the EA be receiving offers tomorrow?
  • BobProperty
    BobProperty Posts: 3,245 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    This has been talked about on here a few times in the past. Several hundred is the best guess.
    A house isn't a home without a cat.
    Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others.
    I have writer's block - I can't begin to tell you about it.
    You told me again you preferred handsome men but for me you would make an exception.
    It's a recession when your neighbour loses his job; it's a depression when you lose yours.
  • Addy1
    Addy1 Posts: 209 Forumite
    So sorry to waste your precious time.

People have been really helpful when I have asked questions before but now I may think twice about asking for help.
  • Sagz_2
    Sagz_2 Posts: 6,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Mine quoted me over a grand!!!
    Some days you're the dog..... most days you're the tree! :D
  • Addy1
    Thanks for that, it is useful to know. Not sure it will add any value to the house but we aren't really doing it for that reason - as long as it doesn't make it lose value!
    But I don't suppose it would stop us putting in an offer, it would just be nice to know the option is there if we get fed up of parking round the back. I think by the time we have saved up for furniture etc it might be a while before we could afford it at that price!
  • this could be interesting reading for you OP:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=725689

It talks about some of the probelms people have had with driveways/dropped kurbs.
    :D
  • Addy1
    Thanks.

That sounds very annoying!

However the house is on a fairly quiet road that is not really a thru road to anywhere, and there are double yellows on the side where the house is, and parking is relatively simple on the other side. Plus all the houses have parking at the back.

Although it would be awful to get blocked in! But my partner is a copper so hopefully could do something about that!
  • BobProperty
    BobProperty Posts: 3,245 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Addy1 wrote: »
    So sorry to waste your precious time.

People have been really helpful when I have asked questions before but now I may think twice about asking for help.
    I wasn't being sarcastic, I was stating a fact. If you'd used the search facility you would have found that this subject and prices has been discussed a few times in, say, the last year.
    A house isn't a home without a cat.
    Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others.
    I have writer's block - I can't begin to tell you about it.
    You told me again you preferred handsome men but for me you would make an exception.
    It's a recession when your neighbour loses his job; it's a depression when you lose yours.
  • Rick62
    Rick62 Posts: 989 Forumite
    My ex wife had it done. I think the council quoted about £1500, she then had it done privately for about half that. But it is often a council requirement that they do it, so she had it done illegally and in theory the council could make her put it back.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • VickyA_2
    VickyA_2 Posts: 4,533 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    When friends had their kerb dropped, their council basically gave them a list of "approved" contractors. They just worked their way through that list until they found the cheapest.
    Sealed Pot Challenge #021 #8 975.71 #9 £881.44 #10 £961.13 #11 £782.13 #12 £741.83 #13 £2135.22 #14 £895.53 #15 £1240.40 #16 £1805.87 declared
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure