Best Sim Only Deals (MEGATHREAD)

Comments

• ZhugeEX
    ZhugeEX Posts: 1,163 Forumite
    edited 4 October 2015 at 11:27AM
    Hi all!

Realise it's been a while since I last posted here. Unfortunately I've been bogged down with work and life this past year which is why you may have noticed that the OP and list of deals hasn't actually been maintained or updated for a bit of time! So first of all my apologies for that as one of the goals I had when I set out was to keep the list updated.

I've now got a bit more time on my hands and have rebuilt the entire list and website from scratch. I haven't finished the site 100% just yet but the new list is live and ready to be viewed today.

So I'd like to restate the goals that I have for this site and thread-
    • A list of the best SIM only deals from trusted networks
    • Notes about each Networks perks + links to coverage checkers
    • Allows you to see how much cashback you can earn from TCB.
    • Always up to date
    • A community feel - You can now post on the website, drop me an email or post in this thread if you want advice on what the best SIM Only deal is for you. I have around 5 years experience in the Mobile industry so am up to date on deals being run.

For the new website I've-
    • Redesigned the tables - Now you can filter your preferences to find the best deal.
    • Simplified the list - Everything is a lot cleaner and easier to read.
    • Enabled a comments system on the "About Us" page and also included a contact form on the SIM Only page.
    • Updated the guides to reflect changes in the industry.
    • Updated every Sunday evening.

Click here for the new list of deals!
    fuzzgun19 wrote: »
    Do Virgin Mobile not offer unlimited data anymore?

I just called to find out about a sim only and said I wanted unlimited data, the guy said they only do 4gb or 8gb.

He sounded as if he was in a foreign call centre.

They quoted 4gb/unlimited calls & texts for £15pm, and 8gb /unlimited calls & texts for £23p.

I'm not too bothered about calls/texts 500-1000pm would do, it's just data.
    Next cheapest I found was Giffgaff @ £20pm for unlimited.

Unfortunately Virgin have had a shift in strategy recently. Before they used to offer low priced deals with a lot of minutes/texts and data but in the last year or so they've moved to a more tiered model where you now have to pay over a certain amount if you want access to x amount of data for example.

Unlimited data is no longer provided by Virgin.

giffgaff now offer something called "Always On internet". What this means is that you get 6GB data at full speed but once you have used over 6GB in that month they'll slow your Internet speed down till the next month. So this will affect services like streaming video or downloading files, it shouldn't affect general browsing too much but just be aware that it's not a truly unlimited package. They do slow your speeds down once you exceed 6GB.

Three is the only network to offer unlimited data in a true way. However their packages are now slightly higher price than they were a couple of years back. Still the best value if you truly need unlimited data. If you don't need unlimited data then there are better deals out there.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with at all.
  • diamonds
    diamonds Posts: 6,048 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    ZhugeEX wrote: »
    Hi all!

Realise it's been a while since I last posted here. Unfortunately I've been bogged down with work and life this past year which is why you may have noticed that the OP and list of deals hasn't actually been maintained or updated for a bit of time! So first of all my apologies for that as one of the goals I had when I set out was to keep the list updated.

I've now got a bit more time on my hands and have rebuilt the entire list and website from scratch. I haven't finished the site 100% just yet but the new list is live and ready to be viewed today.

So I'd like to restate the goals that I have for this site and thread-
    • A list of the best SIM only deals from trusted networks
    • Notes about each Networks perks + links to coverage checkers
    • Allows you to see how much cashback you can earn from TCB.
    • Always up to date
    • A community feel - You can now post on the website, drop me an email or post in this thread if you want advice on what the best SIM Only deal is for you. I have around 5 years experience in the Mobile industry so am up to date on deals being run.

For the new website I've-
    • Redesigned the tables - Now you can filter your preferences to find the best deal.
    • Simplified the list - Everything is a lot cleaner and easier to read.
    • Enabled a comments system on the "About Us" page and also included a contact form on the SIM Only page.
    • Updated the guides to reflect changes in the industry.
    • Updated every Sunday evening.

Click here for the new list of deals!

Unfortunately Virgin have had a shift in strategy recently. Before they used to offer low priced deals with a lot of minutes/texts and data but in the last year or so they've moved to a more tiered model where you now have to pay over a certain amount if you want access to x amount of data for example.

Unlimited data is no longer provided by Virgin.

giffgaff now offer something called "Always On internet". What this means is that you get 6GB data at full speed but once you have used over 6GB in that month they'll slow your Internet speed down till the next month. So this will affect services like streaming video or downloading files, it shouldn't affect general browsing too much but just be aware that it's not a truly unlimited package. They do slow your speeds down once you exceed 6GB.

Three is the only network to offer unlimited data in a true way. However their packages are now slightly higher price than they were a couple of years back. Still the best value if you truly need unlimited data. If you don't need unlimited data then there are better deals out there.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with at all.

Are you going to update 1 month contracts ? Three give unlimited everything for £30 a month rather than £3 less, £36 more per year even a better deal does not come up in a year.

http://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM/Plans_for_phones
    SO... now England its the Scots turn to say dont leave the UK, stay in Europe with us in the UK, dont let the tories fool you like they did us with empty lies... You will be leaving the UK aswell as Europe ;)
  • ZhugeEX
    ZhugeEX Posts: 1,163 Forumite
    diamonds wrote: »
    Are you going to update 1 month contracts ? Three give unlimited everything for £30 a month rather than £3 less, £36 more per year even a better deal does not come up in a year.

http://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM/Plans_for_phones

I plan to in time.

For now it mentions in the network notes that the 1 month versions are £3 extra.
  • diamonds
    Debt-free and Proud!
    ZhugeEX wrote: »
    I plan to in time.

For now it mentions in the network notes that the 1 month versions are £3 extra.

Ahhh sorry I looked at graphs only, prob as I know about the xtras each network gives lol sorry!
    SO... now England its the Scots turn to say dont leave the UK, stay in Europe with us in the UK, dont let the tories fool you like they did us with empty lies... You will be leaving the UK aswell as Europe ;)
  • Hi im currently on an EE 24 month contract which is due to end next month. I am looking to replace it with a sim plan where u top up so much and get unlimited texts and calls and a generous or unlimited GB useage. Ive attempted to digest all this excellent information but my brain is now overloaded. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance, nicii.
  • diamonds
    Debt-free and Proud!
    NiciiB wrote: »
    Hi im currently on an EE 24 month contract which is due to end next month. I am looking to replace it with a sim plan where u top up so much and get unlimited texts and calls and a generous or unlimited GB useage. Ive attempted to digest all this excellent information but my brain is now overloaded. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance, nicii.

Vectone 30 day UK Pocket Saver, Unlimited text and calls with 5GB, £10 uses EE.

https://www.vectone.co.uk
  • llyamah
    llyamah Posts: 255 Forumite
    What are people's views on cashback deals? Money supermarket are showing a deal with Vodafone via mobiles.co.uk:

£118 cashback by multiple redemptions
    2000 MB Data
    Unlimited minutes and Unlimited texts per month
    Average line rental after cash back equivalent to: £5.50
    Total contract cost over 12 months: £66.00
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I think they are good if you do your research and know what you are doing.
    Have a look at this thread, although it's a little outdated:
    Cashback Guide for Dummies

Many other results popped up when I searched for the above thread, e.g. this one Mobiles.co.uk Cashback Rejected
  • wallofbeans
    wallofbeans Posts: 1,392 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Hello All,

I'm moving on from a sim only monthly contract with Three as their prices recently went up and they're not budging about giving me a better price or more data.

I'm currently getting 1GB data, 600mins and unlimited texts for £13 (its now gone up to £14) on a monthly contract.

But I need more data. The GiffGaff 2GB data, 500mins and unlimited texts for £12 seems good enough but I wonder if there is anything better out there??

I don't mind a 12 month contract if it's worth it...

Thanks for the help.
  • lon_don
    lon_don Posts: 73 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi,
    I am currently on O2, out of contract.
    I'm looking to switch to a SIMO deal (keeping my current handset), also on O2. Called O2 CS but as expected they didn't offer anything better than their publicly available deals.
    Can I go thru carphonewarehouse.com (via quidco to get the quidco cashback), and buy the same O2 SIMO deal from cw ? How do I go about to keep my existing number ? Do I need to ask O2 for a PAC code, then port my number from O2 to ...O2 ? How does it work if I don't "upgrade" directly with O2, but instead go thru cw ? Thanks for your help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure