Need advice for car accident

So I pulled into a gas station and came to a complete stop and then realized that there were several pumps out of order, so I put my car in reverse and a guy had pulled up behind me, very close. I was waiting for him to move, but we bumped very lightly. He said I rolled into him, but I didn't want to argue with him. We exchanged info, but we discussed settling on our own. I was in a recent car accident and didn't want to have to deal with my insurance co again, I'm afraid they would drop me if I had another claim. Anyway, I had zero damage and he is now claiming that his headlight is loose and there was a tear in the bumper, how could he possibility have a tear when I had NO damage at all. I know it's most likely a prior issue he had and is trying to get me to pay for it. He sent me an estimate for 1000K and wants me to pay. I don't even feel that it was my fault, but again afraid to have to deal with my insurance again. I am thinking about just paying to end this and move on. Do you think this is wise? If I pay him and make him sign a release will that be enough to protect me from him in the future? Please respond!! As he wants to meet me tomorrow!! If I do pay, is it best to give a check, or bank check? He claims that he wants his car fixed quickly and the auto place is waiting for payment before ordering the parts. I kind of doubt he even is planning on fixing it and he probably knows the auto body guy. But I just want this to go away and not become a he said she said situation. I'm not sure if the gas station would have it on video. Thanks so much for any assistance.

Comments

• I'm in Massachusetts. No police were called.
  • Muskey
    Muskey Posts: 363 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    This is a UK forum, where law and procedures are different to those in the USA.....I suggest you ask this question on an American forum.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    No harm in asking if the gas station will have it on cctv.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If you're in an accident you should:

• not admit at the scene that it was your fault
    • tell your insurer about the accident straightaway, even if you don't want to make a claim
    • if someone is injured, show your insurance certificate or cover note to the police.
    • take photographs that you may be able to later use as evidence if you need to make a claim.

If you have a comprehensive insurance policy you should claim from your own insurer, but you may lose your no claims bonus if the insurer can't recover the money from the other driver's insurer.

Hope it helps....

The poster lives in the Usa
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport