When to start single trip travel insurance

Hi,

Reading Martin's instructions, he advises starting your travel insurance from the day you booked. So I booked today for a holiday in August, but when I put in the Insurance search to start from today, the quotes I get are around £300!! Martin's article states that you can get cover for as little as £7! Could someone explain where I'm going wrong please?

Many thanks!

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    You look to have put in a long holiday in your quote!

You do need cover now, buy it now!

The cover will start now (thereby covering any cancellation), but give the dates of travel as your August departure and return
  • What is your holiday. Mountaineering in the Himalayas in your 80s.

Perhaps you can give details of your rough age, where you are going and for How long. If you are under 65 and have no medical conditions you may get insurance for £7 - if you are 85 and have a Severe heart condition you might pay £300.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    have you put in the correct travel dates or have you put a date starting now and returning in August?
  • Freddie
    Freddie Posts: 57 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 January 2018 at 12:33PM
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    have you put in the correct travel dates or have you put a date starting now and returning in August?
    Yes, that's exactly what I did. So if I put in the travel dates for the 10 days I'm away in August, but buy the insurance today, I am covered from today. Got it - thanks Quentin! :)
  • Caz3121 wrote: »

I think that is the problem.

The insurance dates should be the period of the holiday - not from today or the date of booking until the holiday ends.

The OP does not need the insurance between now and August - they need insurance for August.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    margaretx9 wrote: »
    The OP does not need the insurance between now and August - they need insurance for August.
    No

Everyone should take out their insurance as soon as they book a trip!

(You can get run over by a bus at any time, so you need cancellation insurance cover from the outset!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure