Renovations and Repayments.

Comments

• AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Yes, that sounds perfectly achievable with a balanced portfolio in the current low interest environment, shouldn't be too hard :)

One of the 'joys' of regular Mon-Fri office jobs is that they often force you to compress everything into the weekend. Saturday morning becomes a blur of housework, grocery shopping etc. Luckily I made my way through 4 (non-alcoholic) beers last night, so it's not an actual blur :D

I imagine you have a bit more flexibility, beyond the obvious time bound things like making sure your son gets to school on time?

Thanks, I suppose I could have a go with this first £5,000. Have to admit I'm rather daunted by the prospect as I know very little about investing money and am not really a gambler.

I remember the "joys" of a "normal job" all too well. What are your long term plans for work, I know you wish to change job / career? More importantly, what sort of Scotsman drinks non-alcoholic beer? ;)

In terms of the hours I work, it's very flexible unless I've booked an appointment with a customer. I do one afternoon per week teaching music within a secondary school which is fixed and half paid, half voluntary and one afternoon per fortnight helping music pupils get ready for auditions at my old prep school, both of those are fixed and they insist I keep to the same day. No school for my son, yet. That will start in September and be quite the shock as I will have to get him there.
    gallygirl wrote: »
    What colour is the TR7? (say it's blue, say it's blue, say it's blue :smileyhea). Unlike you Alex I remember them when they were new :rotfl:. No Stag?

Sorry, it's red.

I used to have a Triumph Stag. :) It was Russet Brown with a tan interior.
    Sa1sysoo wrote: »
    Ok, I've got to step out from lurking.
    Gallygirl, I could kiss you for asking about the Stag! :kisses3: I grew up with my Dad's Triumph Stag (Racing Green), but it sadly went to seed after he passed away.
    It's one of my greatest wishes to get one! :happyhear

You should buy one then. :) They aren't particularly expensive cars.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    AlexLK wrote: »
    Sorry, it's red.

Would you consider spraying it :D?
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Would you consider spraying it :D?

No. :p

It's going up for sale soon with the Z3 to be replaced with a Daimler 250V8 or XJ-S V12 or if my wife and I are feeling particularly yobbish, one of these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP0uBqTn6IA (MG ZT 260 V8, could be even more amusing if it happens to be the Rover version). :D

Or ... one of these would be fun https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iXiqTtoT4w, if a little hard to come by.

...Sorry, I've really gone and spoilt my image now. :eek: :rotfl:
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • gallygirl

It's going up for sale soon with the Z3 to be replaced with a Daimler 250V8 or XJ-S V12 or if my wife and I are feeling particularly yobbish, one of these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP0uBqTn6IA (MG ZT 260 V8, could be even more amusing if it happens to be the Rover version). :D

Or ... one of these would be fun https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iXiqTtoT4w, if a little hard to come by.

...Sorry, I've really gone and spoilt my image now. :eek: :rotfl:
    OMG It's Dukes of Hazzard :rotfl:.

Get an XJ-S please. Black, or Racing Green -my ex-boss had a green one for years and it made me smile every time I saw it :T. And the version with single rectangular headlights, not the pair of round ones. Convertible obviously.

If it absolutely HAS to be a Daimler, a nice dark red please. Not white, unless you're going to be doing weddings. Or yellow - shouldn't that be illegal :eek::eek::eek:.

Thank you for your co-operation :p.

Prof. Google has been my friend this morning, I don't carry this knowledge in my head :rotfl:.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    OMG It's Dukes of Hazzard :rotfl:.

Get an XJ-S please. Black, or Racing Green -my ex-boss had a green one for years and it made me smile every time I saw it :T. And the version with single rectangular headlights, not the pair of round ones. Convertible obviously.

If it absolutely HAS to be a Daimler, a nice dark red please. Not white, unless you're going to be doing weddings. Or yellow - shouldn't that be illegal :eek::eek::eek:.

Thank you for your co-operation :p.

Prof. Google has been my friend this morning, I don't carry this knowledge in my head :rotfl:.

:rotfl: In all likelihood, it'll be a Daimler as I really like '60's cars. :) Certainly not in white as I have no wish to do weddings whatsoever. My first preference for colour would be dark blue as then it would match the GT6 but Mrs. K. would like a red one. That said I don't believe you can pick the colour of a used car.

If we go the XJ-S route it won't be new enough to be a convertible as we both like the original mid-70's cars. Pre-HE = about 9mpg though :eek:, it's not usually something that bothers me but I realise that's rather bad! :rotfl:

Better face up to the finances today though ... it's not been a great month.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • gallygirl
    That said I don't believe you can pick the colour of a used car.
    Don't you just go on Autotrader and filter by colour before looking at anything else? No, don't suppose you do Alex :rotfl:.
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Struggling for motivation this afternoon as I'm trying to update the finances before going away. Unsurprisingly, I have not been very diligent as it's not been the greatest couple of months for the business. I'm really very disappointed with this month's savings.

Trying is better than pretending it simply doesn't exist, though?
    Don't you just go on Autotrader and filter by colour before looking at anything else? No, don't suppose you do Alex :rotfl:.

Can't say I've ever done that; I have bought a car to win a bet though, back in my uni days.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 19 April 2015 at 7:14PM
    Sunday 19th April, 2015.

Dear Diary,

Well, it's that time of the week again! I've spent the afternoon trying to make sense of my finances and come to the conclusion that whilst it's been a rather dire month businesswise, I am at least not running at a loss. The regular readers know I seem to often get the maths wrong, so I'm pleased to report I checked it twice and have saved the totals on the spreadsheet. ;)

Today has also been a thinking about what to do with the savings day and I am seriously contemplating trying to invest the money as I'm clearly not buying a BTL with £5,000, nor will it make a great dent in my own mortgage. Any advice getting started would be much appreciated as whilst I've read a few things I can't say I really understand any of it.

Such pragmatic thinking about the future has been no bad thing and I may be some of the way towards getting a five year plan, of sorts, together. This is a big step for me as since my mid-twenties I've not even been able to imagine being on this planet for another five years and consequently found myself planning accordingly.

Unfortunately, I cannot see the finances being any better for the rest of the month as I'm going to Spain (feeling quite guilty about that when I ought to be putting my time into the business) but I'm hoping for a good May.

ETA: I'm pleased that I've managed to get somewhere with the front garden, it's really made a difference to how I feel about the house in general as it's looking so much better. I'm looking forward to Mrs. K. seeing it for the first time when she gets back from her holiday.

Next project will be the ongoing window one and a refresh of the kitchen. I also have some planters to make for the garden and a garden swing to make for my son.

Yours Faithfully,
    Alex.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Thats a nice collection you have there Alex, kind of the opposite of lots of mfwer's who are trying to reduce the number of vehicles they have :rotfl: quite an eclectic mix as well, must be so much fun :D

I love classic cars too but have only had a midget and a mini so far, finances have put a stop to all that in the last few years unfortunately.

I've noticed that prices seem to have really shot up in the last year or so on many cars, and cars that were not considered "classics" a couple of years ago now are, (or maybe I'm just getting old!) .

PS if you ever need a babysitter for the GT 6 , I can help :D
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    newgirly wrote: »
    Thats a nice collection you have there Alex, kind of the opposite of lots of mfwer's who are trying to reduce the number of vehicles they have :rotfl: quite an eclectic mix as well, must be so much fun :D

I love classic cars too but have only had a midget and a mini so far, finances have put a stop to all that in the last few years unfortunately.

I've noticed that prices seem to have really shot up in the last year or so on many cars, and cars that were not considered "classics" a couple of years ago now are, (or maybe I'm just getting old!) .

PS if you ever need a babysitter for the GT 6 , I can help :D

Unfortunately, I'm not a good example of a MFW :rotfl:, I like collecting things, just don't ask gallygirl about my watch and pen collections, if I recall correctly, she was horrified when I wrote about them on my debt free diary.

Prices do seem to be going up at the moment. I'm fairly cautious about buying at the moment as there has been a classic car bubble before and it burst. Something is telling me this current shift is not going to be permanent but could last for another few years yet. There are new-comers to the "classic" market all the time, as we're all getting older, don't forget a car made in 1985 is now 30 years old!

The GT6 is a very special car to me, I've had it for almost 14 years now. The rest come and go but that one always seems to hang around. :)
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills