Wonga - nightmare

Anyone had any luck removing Wonga from credit file?

I am pretty ok for money since promotion at work but Wonga was always helpful if I needed some extra cash. I didnt expect though for 15 Wonga loans to show up on my credit file.

Any tactics I can use?

I will be debt free within the next 6 months and I am working hard to re-build my score. Wonga, I feel will now hold me back for the next 6 years!!
TOTAL OUTSTANDING DEBTS CURRENT BALANCES: Allied International - £3359.61, Blair Oliver & Scott - £1394.65, Lloyds TSB - £211.22, Lloyds TSB - £3125.80, Wescot - £966.25
ESTIMATED CCCS DEBT FREE DATE: April 2019. I aim to be debt-free by 2014 at the latest.

Comments

• Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    No way to remove them from your credit files no.

The 15 accounts - do they show you paid them all back on time, first time? If so then they shouldn't hold you back for the whole 6years they remain visible.

If you don't use any more for a couple of years and in that time start to build up a regular credit rating (something like a subprime card or a catalogue account if you don't have any other open accounts), then they shouldn't hold you back longer term.

If you defaulted on any then they will likely have a big impact for longer.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • pippitypop
    pippitypop Posts: 88 Forumite
    I have them showing on my report. It's a real pain in the butt as my credit score is "Good" however, lenders will still view them quite rightly as a stain against my financial character. Just make sure the Wongas have stopped and you manage your other finances well and you'll be fine.
    Thanks to everyone for the comp links
    Challenges: Debt Free 2014 £1,000/£20,000
    MFW'14: 0/£75,000
  • Anyone had any luck removing Wonga from credit file?

I am pretty ok for money since promotion at work but Wonga was always helpful if I needed some extra cash. I didnt expect though for 15 Wonga loans to show up on my credit file.

Any tactics I can use?

I will be debt free within the next 6 months and I am working hard to re-build my score. Wonga, I feel will now hold me back for the next 6 years!!

Hello, Yes you can, I have just had 13 removed. Told wonga I was getting declined because of this and it is showing signs of financial distress. Although wonga said it would be positive on my profile but no it was NEGATIVE. call them up explain you have been declined. Systems update experian around the 8th of every month!!!!!!!!!!
  • Hi thatsthewayitisin2012
    My daughter took some Wonga loans thinking they would boost her credit rating. We have just sent them an email asking them to be removed. Fingers crossed. If there's any additional info you could give us we be very grateful.
    Thanks
  • R_P_W
    R_P_W Posts: 1,505 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Sorry but why would anyone think taking a pay day loan would boost a credit rating?!

A loan that literally screams I can't manage my money well enough to my next pay day?
  • R_P_W wrote: »
    Sorry but why would anyone think taking a pay day loan would boost a credit rating?!

A loan that literally screams I can't manage my money well enough to my next pay day?

They were originally marketed as helping credit files in the early days. I believe they received a slap on the wrist for it and removed the statement from their TV ads. I still think they need much more regulation and possibly banning from the media. They simply don't provide enough information on the long term impact of their use.

Kate x
    LBM 17th Oct13 - SC DMP - DFD 10th Feb 2018
    paid pre-DMP £6146 :D paid with DMP £2275 :D F&F's £700 (£450 discount) £1,000 (£1,498.22 discount) £ 700 (489.62 discount) :D Total £9725

Current debt to repay £3,503.13 taking one day at a time
  • Fridge03
    Fridge03 Posts: 103 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Have people had much success on having them removed?

I have a couple on there from 2011 and my stupid days. I'd love for them to be removed but didn't think that was possible?

I too remember advertising from wonga (and others that are still doing it) saying they can help to increase your credit score!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure