Price of Sky Original

What is the price of Sky Original ?

At the moment, I'm paying £10 with a 50% discount and notice that when the other packages went up, in the summer, Original stayed at £20.

The website still quotes £20, but the emails offering 60% off quote costs 'from £9', £9 being 40% of £22.50.

Comments

• Sky Original is £20 a month. Has been for a while.

60% of £20 is £8. Where have you got £22.50 from?
  • Annabee
    Annabee Posts: 642 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 27 September 2016 at 3:41AM
    We pay £22.50 since a price rise, I think earlier this year. Before that we were paying £21.50 and had been for ages. I know new customers get a lower price though - so that's presumably why it quotes £20 a month on their website.

As I recently swapped to them for phone and broadband and got a good deal with that, I am not too bothered, but I might say something when it's time to renew.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Neil_Jones wrote: »
    Sky Original is £20 a month. Has been for a while.

60% of £20 is £8. Where have you got £22.50 from?

As in my previous post : The email offers 60% off and says watch from £9, but £9 is 40% of £22.50, suggesting a hidden price rise. Hence my enquiry about the full price of Original.

Incidentally, 60% of £20 is £12 but 60% off £20 is £8.
  • teddysmum
    edited 27 September 2016 at 5:26PM
    Annabee wrote: »
    We pay £22.50 since a price rise, I think earlier this year. Before that we were paying £21.50 and had been for ages. I know new customers get a lower price though - so that's presumably why it quotes £20 a month on their website.

As I recently swapped to them for phone and broadband and got a good deal with that, I am not too bothered, but I might say something when it's time to renew.

Two years ago there was no price rise for Original (in fact it went down from £21.50 to £20, just before I downgraded from Variety) and this year it was supposed to go up, but mine stayed at £10 (50% off).

However, the website only says £20 with no mention of then £X after 12 months , the prices for Variety and Family (all side by side on a page) being shown as £34 and £38, so not stating that it's a new customer offer.

PS However, I just found this : http://www.choose.net/media/guide/news/sky-tv-price-rises-from-june-for-all.html ,
    but mine hasn't gone up and there was no communication of the £22.50, other than in articles like the one in the link.
  • teddysmum
    I've had a 'please stay' letter today, with the same 60% offer, but it also lists the three main package prices, giving Original as £22.50.
  • Sky Original is £20 per month for people in a minimum term contract.

People in a minimum term @ £20 last year will be paying ~ £21.50 per month.

Most people (but not all - depends on what else they subscribed to) who didn't go into a new minimum term last year and thus stayed at £21.50 will have gone up to £22.50 in June 2016.

Anyone who renews their minimum term on Original will get it @ £20 or the discounted price for 12m.
    If you don't do this and just downgrade to Original then it will be £20 until the next price increase.

Clear as mud, I know this isn't logical but is Sky's crazy logic!
  • Annabee
    Annabee Posts: 642 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 29 September 2016 at 9:46AM
    Bubblegun, can you tell me then if you think I'm being charged incorrectly? We had just had Sky original package for several years, out of fixed term contract and paying £21.50 a month. Then in spring this year we swapped telephone and broadband to Sky and signed up to a twelve month contact. The TV bundle price remained at £21.50 though, but then increased by £1 a couple of months later.

Should we have been allowed to reduce the cost of the TV package to £20, as we had signed for a new minimum term? Or does this not apply, do you think maybe the TV and telephone/broadband are treated as two separate things?

I know it is only £2.50 a month difference, but still it is the principle. Why should longer-standing customers be disadvantaged?
  • bubblegun
    bubblegun Posts: 210 Forumite
    edited 29 September 2016 at 4:20AM
    Annabee wrote: »
    Bubblegun, can you tell me then if you think I'm being charged incorrectly? We had just had Sky original package for several years, out of fixed term contract and paying £21.50 a month. Then in spring this year we swapped telephone and broadband to Sky and signed up to a twelve month contact. The TV bundle price remained at £21.50 though, but then increased by £1 a couple of months later.

Should we have been allowed to reduce the cost of the TV package to £20, as we had signed for a new minimum term? Or does this not apply, do you think maybe the TV and telephone/broadband are treated as two separate things?

I know it is only £2.50 a month difference, but still it is the principal. Why should longer-standing customers be disadvantaged?

You can renew the minimum term on Original for 12m and it will drop to £20 for 12m. It will take a months notice to "downgrade" or you can could request a manager do it for it to have immediate effect.

The new minimum term has to be requested. Not sure all departments can do it but retention can.

When you joined telephone and broadband you would have been read some statements where you were advised that they had separate contracts.
  • teddysmum
    When we were on Family, as a freebie after leaving O2, Original went up to £21.50,in the summer, I believe.

The next year we downgraded to Variety (silly move as should have been Original) and Original was down to £20.

This subscription year we went down to Original , but had to take a month on Variety as I accepted a 50% offer before termination happened. Original was £20 and we have paid just £10 throughout , though the last letter, offering 60% off, says the new cost will be £9 ie 40% of £22.50.

I think people stick on the price they agreed, unless there is a rise or they agree to a new minimum term.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure