Spill the beans... Trade secrets: supermarket staff, tell us your reduction policies!

Options

Comments

• paadzer
    paadzer Posts: 1,845 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Due to working full-time and not driving I am limited as to where and when I go to supermarkets for reductions but my local co-op is great. They reduce items around 5pm (I got some steaks recently for 25p and large packets of mince for 25p). They reduce the fresh bread around 8pm you can get packs of four rolls or mini baguettes for 10p :) I often stock up on bread for sandwiches and put it in the freezer :)
  • Excalibur_2
    Excalibur_2 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Since my local Tesco's was revamped about 3 months ago, whenever they do final reductions, there are all these greedy families and smaller variations of the same stacking up their trolleys before the Tesco employee can physically wheel the reduced item trolley to the chilled section. The lack of manners is appalling and customers are so impolite to the staff, let alone each other, hence why I often now avoid this section because it's not worth it. I don't think the excuse is just that the economy is poor; it is the mentality of fellow customers. :(
  • yangptangkipperbang
    Options
    Excalibur wrote: »
    Since my local Tesco's was revamped about 3 months ago, whenever they do final reductions, there are all these greedy families and smaller variations of the same stacking up their trolleys before the Tesco employee can physically wheel the reduced item trolley to the chilled section. The lack of manners is appalling and customers are so impolite to the staff, let alone each other, hence why I often now avoid this section because it's not worth it. I don't think the excuse is just that the economy is poor; it is the mentality of fellow customers. :(

What do expect in Tesco ? it's much more genteel at my local Waitrose :rotfl:
  • geordie_ben
    geordie_ben Posts: 3,118 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    My local big Asda (Gateshead) is normally great for reduced items, especially bread and veg. Every now and again I hit the jackpot with meat and fish. About 2 months ago I got 4 bags of fresh salmon and some other white fish (all from the fishmonger) for 20p a bag, that was about £10 worth of fish for £1! and then steaks and chicken. I even found some reduced chicken, from about £4 to 80p in the yoghurt fridge that someone had dumped, was totally fine as well

I always go straight to the reduced fridge, then pop back mid shop, and then again right at the end of my shop
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Amymajik wrote: »
    All in all a very good suggestion however I do have to remind you of the law and that flashing your lights is confusing and irresponsible as a road user. I saw someone do that once, it was misinterpreted as a 'go ahead' and the driver of a car drove straight into a motorbike. Several people lost lives. You would fail a driving test for flashing your lights. I agree we all need to make the world a great place to live and work in but lets not do it this way as it is not safe.
    Star prize for most confused/misplaced post?
  • geordie_ben
    geordie_ben Posts: 3,118 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    G_M wrote: »

STAR.gif
  • camaj
    camaj Posts: 504 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 June 2012 at 8:15PM
    Options
    Waitrose is pretty good although their stuff is pretty expensive to start with so with reductions it ends up as fairly reasonable.

Sainsbury's seem to vary depending on what branch you go to. When I was at school we used to get 10 doughnuts for 10p at the end of the day! Admittedly that was only once, but it was usually 30p. Other branches don't seem to reduce anything.

My mum went to Asda over the jubilie weekend and they had done some amazing reductions, like 4 triple choc muffins for 8p and other bakery items for a similar amount. Same was true of the fruit and veg but that was not as exciting

It does irk me to see people being rude when it comes to bargains in general. Manners seem to go out of the window and greedy sods act like animals.
  • Edwardia
    Edwardia Posts: 9,170 Forumite
    Options
    Last time I was in ASDA I was browsing next to the reduced price section. An ASDA asst turned up and it was like a rugby scrum so I moved. I think if people need 10p pumpkin soup that badly, I'll let them have it.
  • geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    G_M wrote: »

She is refering to 4_Pete's_Sake's tag line
    When driving, try and get someone to give you a wave or headlight flash each day as a thank you for your courtesy. The roads will be a much better place.

Not confused, and if you believe that if someone says something wrong you should correct them there and then, it's not misplaced either. But it is off topic, so I hope every one ignores it now.
  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    twickmag wrote: »
    Yes, my local Waitrose has massive end of the day reductions, but there is a regular price reducer follower, an Eastern European lady, I think, who snatches everything out of his/her hand before it can be put back on a shelf/in a trolley, and stacks it in her own trolley - I've sen it full to the brim at the checkout. It's far too much for her own consumption, and my guess is she sells it on to friends/family.
    Frustrating for regular shoppers.

Lol...but you just said she IS a regular shopper too! Can't have it both ways you know.
    Val.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure