PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• Heavy snow here for us today - very pretty though coming down :-)
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Same here WCS, started about 2.30am, really pelting down now.
  • I know you should be careful what you wish for but I'm rather envious of your snow, we rarely get more than a flutter and just have the strong gusting winds at the mo.

It's going to be a socks and tights day at work today, I hate cold feet and standing in the playground soon creates a chill that's hard to shake off.

Our house was built without a fireplace (which I miss as I grew up with a proper fire) so if i need something to look warming I have to light candles not the same but the rads aren't that nice to look at and don't get turned on unless it's jumper and cardigan cold
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I've got the live Storm Doris thread on the Guardian open in another tab, and its showing the Glasgow to Stirling motorway closed. Hope you guys up there are all safe and warm. Mind you, I was checking Merseyside on the met office site, and there are winds forcast there for late morning that are over 60mph :(

Mrs Moneypenny, thanks for the feedback from your own personal experience - always good to have. I'd forgotten about blockages, I was just thinking of the run to a lower level, the local stream thats a quarter mile from me is about 30 feet lower than I am. Though, of course, the sewer doesn't drain into that :o I have an "inspection hatch" for the sewer on my patio, from when I installed a second toilet here when I moved in - I think I'm going to see if I can get a non-return valve fitted there, that would solve everything. Along with the existing stop valve on the incoming clean water, that is.
    SaveSave
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • We never realised till that happened that the other five houses waste went through our property and down the drain under our drive before getting to the main sewer. Only other time we've had a bad blockage is when a family moved in that flushed baby wipes and cooking grease. They clogged up and caused another blockage which luckily because of checking we caught in time. After the first incident we purchased a set of drainrods which have proved invaluable. Late Christmas Eve is not when you want to be paying a dynorod call out fee!!!!
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • mardatha wrote: »
    Same here WCS, started about 2.30am, really pelting down now.

Lucky you. It is raining trampolines and recycling bins here in North Lincs!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • We never realised till that happened that the other five houses waste went through our property and down the drain under our drive before getting to the main sewer. Only other time we've had a bad blockage is when a family moved in that flushed baby wipes and cooking grease. They clogged up and caused another blockage which luckily because of checking we caught in time. After the first incident we purchased a set of drainrods which have proved invaluable. Late Christmas Eve is not when you want to be paying a dynorod call out fee!!!!

:huh: But if they were the ones causing the blockage - then, presumably, they would have been the ones to pay/would be the ones due to pay for the drainrods??
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    edited 23 February 2017 at 3:07PM
    It all depends on whether it's private or public. We've just looked into this so can comment on a private sewer. My property and my neighbours share the same pipe. If there's a blockage in our private sewer (not private drain - that's only one household using it and solely responsible nor public sewer that would be the authority to fix) then we are all responsible to pay for the cost of the blockage, no matter who caused it. A problem? Environmental Health have the power to serve a notice for compliance within 48 hours and after then and no compliance EHO will get a private contractor and bill everyone.
  • Presumably followed by a small claims court claim against the culprit to refund the other/s - if they can be worked out?
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    If you're that way inclined. Personally, I pay my bill, play my part, live harmoniously amongst others and live my life happily without extra problems. We're all different, of course.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure