Great British Invest off or Passive V Active Discussion

Comments

• jamei305
    jamei305 Posts: 635 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If adding my portfolio now in £100,000K terms should I value it as of 29 September?
  • TBC15
    TBC15 Posts: 1,452 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 4 November 2017 at 2:25PM
    jamei305 wrote: »
    If adding my portfolio now in £100,000K terms should I value it as of 29 September?

That would be fine,100K mix at the start of Oct and results at the end of Oct. Nice to have you on board.
  • TBC15
    edited 29 November 2017 at 6:01PM
    For those participating or wish to precipitate, end of days trading tomorrow is November update time.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73192349#post73192349

Looks like an uneventful month. But still going in the right direction.
  • TBC15
    Well I should have kept my gob shut. Results for November posted, what a difference a couple of days make.

• bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    TBC15 wrote: »
    Well I should have kept my gob shut. Results for November posted, what a difference a couple of days make.

Nov 30th was ridiculous for the DOW....1.23% gain. This gave me another 1.5% monthly gain for my 50% US stocks, 20% International stocks and 30% US bonds. My bond return for October was revised up because of dividend payments so it was just to the positive side of 0%. Another boring month in index land.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • Prism
    Prism Posts: 3,797 Forumite
    Nov 30th was ridiculous for the DOW....1.23% gain.

Whereas my active fund with no US banks got hammered. In fact the only two DOW stocks I have are Microsoft and Visa both which dropped with the rest of the NASDAQ. I think I was down nearly 1% on the day
  • TBC15
    Bostonerimus, Linton. There is obviously problems with us brits getting our heads around $ based returns. If its OK with you Bostonerimus I’ll put in a passive fund Bostoner£ ( I’ll do the conversion if that’s OK with you) that reflects your returns for a UK investor in £. This would make it simpler for folks from the mother country to take on board and stop a lot of getting out the calculator.
  • k6chris
    k6chris Posts: 738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I think we should add a 100% Bitcoin portfolio, starting December 1st.......might make an intersting counterpoint / reference??
    "For every complicated problem, there is always a simple, wrong answer"
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    edited 1 December 2017 at 5:58PM
    TBC15 wrote: »
    Bostonerimus, Linton. There is obviously problems with us brits getting our heads around $ based returns. If its OK with you Bostonerimus I’ll put in a passive fund Bostoner£ ( I’ll do the conversion if that’s OK with you) that reflects your returns for a UK investor in £. This would make it simpler for folks from the mother country to take on board and stop a lot of getting out the calculator.

The percentage returns are what should be compared., I'm up 3.18% so far, someone with 3.8% return for a UK based portfolio has done a bit better. I've chosen my portfolio for the US, not the UK. The percentages are what we should look at to compare overall strategies such as active vs passive. If you want to convert to pounds that's ok, but my portfolio hasn't been designed with any thought for producing GBP denominated returns. A UK investor could use a similar lazy indexing portfolio, but the funds would not be the same.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • TBC15
    edited 1 December 2017 at 6:21PM
    k6chris wrote: »
    I think we should add a 100% Bitcoin portfolio, starting December 1st.......might make an intersting counterpoint / reference??

Go for it.

I appear to have missed your current portfolio, care to join?

The coverage bitcoin is getting at the moment is considerable.

I personally can’t get my head around it. Not sure how this would fit in with the original concept that portfolios should reflect ones holdings.

I can’t help thinking someone who invests a substantial amount of his capital in bit coins is fundamentally so far ahead of the game I’m unable to grasp the far sighted concepts involved, or in 2 weeks will he be enquiring if I have the latest Big Issue.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback