are cyclists suppose to stop for cars here?

Comments

• RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5110737,-0.0536656,3a,75y,185.48h,61.71t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sCjg0vOjMtTIeRhZvmhEoBA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I'm drive through here every so often, from north to west. you can clearly see the cycle lane and the joining traffic have give way markings but it never ceases to amaze me that cars always stop for the cycles and have to wait for a gap before proceeding.

Out of curiosity what would happen if i just carried on driving at my 20mph speed and a cyclist did not stop on the give way and crashed into me?

Maybe the other drivers you see doing that are just nice, courteous drivers who know that it is a lot more effort for a cyclist to stop, then get going again than it is for them to do the same.

But hey, be an ignorant twonk and just plow into them, then you can explain to the nice police that you had right of way, so that's alright then. ;) (do you really take that corner at 20?).

TBF, if the cyclist rides into you then they are the idiot. If you drive into them, well, it gets a little more complicated.
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    As pointed out - the Give Way markings in the blue cycle lane are quite obvious so the cyclist should give way... I'd be very wary myself just because a significant number of London cyclists would either ignore or not recognise the markings and I wouldn't want to be the subject of continued debate in the Evening Standard about evil drivers vs saintly cyclists.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • martinsurrey
    martinsurrey Posts: 3,368 Forumite
    Maybe the other drivers you see doing that are just nice, courteous drivers who know that it is a lot more effort for a cyclist to stop, then get going again than it is for them to do the same.

But hey, be an ignorant twonk and just plow into them, then you can explain to the nice police that you had right of way, so that's alright then. (do you really take that corner at 20?).

" nice, courteous drivers "

so you mean the town planners design a road layout, but you expect drivers morals to overrule it?

and the driver that follows the rules of the road is the "ignorant twonk" while the cyclists that dont are all good?

why aren't you calling the cyclists ignorant twonks for not following basic road markings?
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    I always try to be courteous to other drivers, cyclists and pedestrians. It does irk me how many cyclists ride on pavements, ignore signs and take a chevalier attitude to their own safety.

I can't recall which MP it was who wanted to introduce legislation that in the event of a collision the car driver would always be considered to be at fault.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    NBLondon wrote: »
    As pointed out - the Give Way markings in the blue cycle lane are quite obvious so the cyclist should give way... I'd be very wary myself just because a significant number of London cyclists would either ignore or not recognise the markings and I wouldn't want to be the subject of continued debate in the Evening Standard about evil drivers vs saintly cyclists.

It's not should but must, as it's a legal requirement.
    "Rule 172

The approach to a junction may have a ‘Give Way’ sign or a triangle marked on the road. You MUST give way to traffic on the main road when emerging from a junction with broken white lines across the road."
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,875 Forumite
    Car_54 wrote: »
    "Rule 172

The approach to a junction may have a ‘Give Way’ sign or a triangle marked on the road. You MUST give way to traffic on the main road when emerging from a junction with broken white lines across the road."

In Leeds we have a 'Cycle super highway' on our driver training course we were told the Highway code havent caught up yet. Its very confusing.
    The cycle highway is meant to be a 'one way lane' but it obviously isnt.
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    so you mean the town planners design a road layout, but you expect drivers morals to overrule it?
    I expect town planners to sometimes design an ineffective and inappropriate layout and some drivers/riders to apply common sense and courtesy to avoid conflict.
    Car_54 wrote: »
    I was using "should" in the sense of an expectation rather than the legal wording - but you are (often) right. In this case the cycle lane is not "emerging" because it is already on the main road - hence the explicit Give Way markings to show the priority.
    missile wrote: »
    take a chevalier attitude to their own safety.
    Especially the ones wearing stripy shirts and berets while transporting strings of onions on their bike.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • martinsurrey
    martinsurrey Posts: 3,368 Forumite
    I expect town planners to sometimes design an ineffective and inappropriate layout and some drivers/riders to apply common sense and courtesy to avoid conflict.

is it not common sense to stop at a give way sign!!!!!!

is it not common sense to follow the highway code!!!!!

it is 100% dangerous to stop for cyclists when its your right of way,

you stop, they start crossing, the drivers in the other direction don't (maybe obscured view), and we get a flat cyclist and its their own fault, you would fail your driving test if you did it on the test.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    ................... I expect town planners to [STRIKE]sometimes[/STRIKE] usually design an ineffective and inappropriate layout ....................
    Corrected for you ;) I am amazed how many schemes put traffic (all traffic not just one type) into conflict by defying common sense. Most planners must only ever travel by bus or train !
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,016 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Although you might think that "town planners design..." is an oxymoron, sometimes they deliberately produce "dangerous" and "confusing" road layouts, as this forces drivers to actually take some element of care at junctions, and can in fact reduce accidents.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure