ISA allowance

Options
Quick question. If I open an isa in December 2017, and use the full allowance, do I need to wait until December 2018 to open a new one?

Thanks

Comments

• veryintrigued
    Options
    No - they work on tax years.

6th of April 2018 you'll be able to invest your next lump of 20k.
  • Thanks. So each tax year the limit is 20k and it doesn't carry forward if it's not all used?
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,206 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks. So each tax year the limit is 20k and it doesn't carry forward if it's not all used?

No carry forward. Use it or lose it;)
  • Final question, can i only open one stocks isa each tax year or could i split the 20k between more than one with different investments in each? For example, one in a tracker fund, one invested in a few select shares and one in a managed fund?
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Final question, can i only open one stocks isa each tax year or could i split the 20k between more than one with different investments in each? For example, one in a tracker fund, one invested in a few select shares and one in a managed fund?
    You can only pay new money into one S&S ISA in any given tax year, but since it's just a wrapper there's nothing to stop you investing in multiple funds and shares within the same ISA (assuming of course the provider you choose offers all of the investments you have in mind).
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Also you can change your investment choices within the S&S ISA and even uninvest and hold cash for a while before you reinvest all within the wrapper. But some choices may be limited by your provider.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure