The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Can I do 4 days training and still claim JSA?

I am currently claiming JSA until I start a temping role on the 16th June. I have a chance to do a course for 4 days next week which I would really like to do, however I'm concerned how this might effect my JSA. I won't be earning money for these 4 days, but I guess technically, at least during the course I won't be looking for work either. I'd be inclined to say nothing to the Jobcentre and just do the course (again, because i'm not actually getting paid for this) but the problem is the last day of the course falls on my next signing day. Ideally I'd like to just be able to tell them I have a course and arrange to sign the following day, but I'm worried that I'll be told I have to stop my claim and claim income support, or just restart my claim after the course finish which is just a pain and will also mess up my housing benefit (which I'm also claiming). Thoughts, advice?

Comments

• going2die_rich
    going2die_rich Posts: 1,378 Forumite
    I believe courses are okay since it's hopefully improving the chances of you gaining employment. Best thing to do is ring them up and let them know, that way by missing your sign-on day wont be an issue as I am sure you don't want them saying you never told them so you never got your money.

Just phone the normal telephone line and make it sound like a query, saying you've seen a course but were worried it would effect your benefits. I am sure they'll reassure you that it's ok.
  • clairec79
    clairec79 Posts: 2,512 Forumite
    It's normally OK to do a short course like that, you declare it beforehand and sign something that says you'd be willing to give it up if you were offered a job which started while the training was on going. Also need to provide a way for them to contact you (a mobile which they could leave a message on and you check on your break would be fine)
  • WLITC
    WLITC Posts: 1,029
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Okay, I called them and they said to come in, but he did mention that there were some retrictions and he mentioned about not getting paid for the training (which of course I'm not) but he also mentioned less than 16 hrs, well its actually four full days one week (so thats like 32 hrs) and two days at the end of the following week (another 16 hrs). So now I'm thinking I won't be covered under JSA.
  • ukdickie31
    ukdickie31 Posts: 522 Forumite
    You are allowed to be classed as 'available for work' if you are undertaking an full time intensive training course of up to 2 weeks duration once in any 12 months period.

When you go to the Jobcentre, you need to show confirmation of the course, and do this before the course starts.

You should ask the adsviser to refer to the ES673 'treat as available' form if they are not sure about this !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure