The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

greggs airport shops

I recently asked Greggs why their prices were dearer in airports with no promotional offers being available even though their normal outlets always have some promotional offer available. Their answer was that in airports the shops are open longer and running costs higher. So nothing to do with having a captive audience with very little competition then?
Seems strange that other food outlets can offer their promotions across the board including in airports! What does anyone else think?

Comments

• pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    So where is your poll...?
  • torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Forumite
    I think you should have posted this on the vents board.
  • Smithy7
    Smithy7 Posts: 14 Forumite
    greggs is a scam.
  • pogofish
    Forumite
    Smithy7 wrote: »
    greggs is a scam.

And you are spamming/hijacking this thread - despite your clear agreement not to!
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Forumite
    All retailers take advantage of a captive audience check the prices on the motorway and then in the high street for Costa M & S and others, there was a report on the radio last week about this, WH Smith and M & S both slated for charging more in hospital site shops. If you don't want to pay take food with you I am not saying it's right to charge more but as long as people pay their inflated prices they will keep doing this.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • peebeebell wrote: »
    I recently asked Greggs why their prices were dearer in airports with no promotional offers being available even though their normal outlets always have some promotional offer available. Their answer was that in airports the shops are open longer and running costs higher. So nothing to do with having a captive audience with very little competition then?
    Seems strange that other food outlets can offer their promotions across the board including in airports! What does anyone else think?

I haven't seen an airport Greggs but I expect that, even if more expensive than their normal shops, they will still be considerably cheaper than most other food outlets at airports.

I accept that things will be more expensive at airports and service stations. It's when they completely take the mickey that it gets annoying.

Greggs at service stations and probably airports is a bargain compared to what is normally on offer, which makes even M&S look cheap. And with M&S, you get the added advantage that the food is actually edible.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,287
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    A big reason that airport shops charge higher prices is because the airport operators charge the shops such high rents.

And at Heathrow, for example, the airport takes a percentage of the value of everything the shops sell.

That policy tends to encourage shops to set high prices.

i.e. That policy makes it better to sell fewer sandwiches at a high price, instead of selling lots of sandwiches at a low price.
  • pogofish
    Forumite
    There is still no poll...!
  • DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,459
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    eddddy wrote: »
    A big reason that airport shops charge higher prices is because the airport operators charge the shops such high rents.

And at Heathrow, for example, the airport takes a percentage of the value of everything the shops sell.

That policy tends to encourage shops to set high prices.

i.e. That policy makes it better to sell fewer sandwiches at a high price, instead of selling lots of sandwiches at a low price.

This, its all down to high costs, this is from Heathrows website:

Q: What sort of rent would my business be expected to pay?
    A: This is our most popular question and the answer depends on a number of variables. Our retail contracts are concession agreements of at least three years in length and financial terms are a percentage of net sales or a guaranteed minimum sum, whichever is the greater. Retail concession fees can vary by product category and location.

Companies have to balance their prices accordingly, and Heathrow provide the 185k passengers per day in return.
  • Kernow666
    Kernow666 Posts: 3,480
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    same goes for FX bureaus , you wont believe what they charge for the spaces in airports hence why you get inferior rates
    "If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport