What's the most economical used 4x4/SUV

Comments

• peterg1965
    peterg1965 Posts: 2,152
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Well said kimevans, I am a 4x4 driver too and i get fed up with the sanctimonious comments from 'do-gooders' about what type of car I drive.

Just be careful about older (and newer) renaults, build quality is not a strenght of French Manufacturers. If you go for an RX4 it would be advisable to make sure you had a decent warranty and that the service history is good.
  • Markyt
    Markyt Posts: 11,864 Forumite
    teeb wrote:
    You're thinking of the Fiat Sedici / Suzuki SX4 4x4s, which share the same underpinnings.

I think.

I was thinking of the SX4, but definitely the Panda too - so we were told by a Suzuki salesman the other week.
  • Fifth gear compared a range rover to a fiat 4x4

youtube.com/watch?v=fAg4DdXAp7Y

Great value, much cheaper to run as its front wheel drive on the road, only engaging 4 wheels when needed. NOT going to be the most powerful for towing though.
  • RussWWFC
    RussWWFC Posts: 573
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Oooh, digging up an old topic. Misery in the snow again, I too am considering a 4X4 if this is what we have to put up with every Winter
    Wycombe Till I Die
  • emmell
    emmell Posts: 1,228 Forumite
    Don't buy a Honda crv, horrendous on fuel, I know I had one brand new in 2003. Nice to drive and comfortable but you could see the petrol guage moving down as you were driving.
    The Landrover Discovery is probably the most economical 4x4 diesel for its size, but the little life saver these last few weeks in our family is the Suzuki Vitara that is just a spare old runabout toy. My sister in Law uses it when she can't get her BMW out and yesterday she had to take it to retrieve my brothers Mondeo taxi after it got stuck in a residential street.
    Have you thought about a Vitara diesel, oh and I wouldn't touch a Renault especially in 4x4.
    ML.
    He who has four and spends five, needs neither purse nor pocket
  • Viper_7
    Viper_7 Posts: 1,220 Forumite
    edited 6 January 2010 at 7:38PM
    milkydrink wrote: »
    Thanks but I didn't ask for comments on the type of vehicle I wish to purchase, nor do I plan to enter into a discussion about or justify it. Just "helpful" advice on the most suitable model for my needs.

What are your needs,then people may have more information.

If you "Need" a 4x4 as said cost/economy is really insignificant compared to the much higher costs of owning a 4x4.
    What is your annual mileage, both on and off-road. Off-road does not include a muddy country road.
    Are you planning on doing much towing?
    How many seats do you need?
    How much boot storage?

Does it need to be an off-road capable 4x4 or just 4 wheel drive?
    Plenty of 4 wheel drive on-road vehicles out there where fuel costs and ownership is much more favorable than an off road capable 4x4.

So I think the question is justified...

Jesus.... how old... !!!!!!!
  • Russ, a 4x4 isn't really going to help you hugely in snow unless it has decent tyres (like mud tyres or just grippy winter tyres). You'd probably be better off just putting winter tyres on your current car for all the difference it'll make.

On ice, it doesnt matter what you're driving, you'll still end up in the hedge if you push it, a 4x4 is no use to you under those circumstances.

I have a landrover defender which is excellent offroad (as you'd expect), but my Wife has a skoda fabia which I put winter tyres on it when it snowed the first time this winter and despite us living in the country and having a foot of snow for nearly a month, she didn't miss a days work. So, have think before you rush into a 4x4 if it's just the weather that's the concern.
  • katies_mum
    katies_mum Posts: 2,343
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I`ve got a red CRV (2004 model) which I love and its so reliable, but its not economical on fuel unless I go on a long motorway journey. I just love the car and its the only red one in the area so will never part with it, just need to win the lottery to run it!!
  • i echo what has been said about the HondaCRV. It is indeed lovely, i ave leather seats, heated front ones, sat nav inbuilt, no touble good to drive BUT, the mpg is rubbish, i only do local stuff , only get about 23/27. We don't rally need a big car now, so i am considering a Kia ceed, with 7 , yes 7 years warranty and if a diesel, then mpg of more like 50/55, much better
  • Hi we;ve had a renault RX4 before - its a nice driving position and a decent enough car, but running costs were severe returning about 30mpg - around 50K miles on the clock it needs new cambelt which is a big job to fit and ours developed one or two electrical faults which meant we let it go on part-ex as all combined it got a bit pricey in the end
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure