How much meat do you eat?

Poll started 11 Jun 2013

There’s talk the world’s resources are getting drained because of too much meat production. It’s argued a field growing crops can feed many more people than one growing crops to feed animals destined for our kitchens.

Which of these is closest to your situation?

Did you vote? Why did you pick that option? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below clicking reply to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide .

To see the results from last time, click this.

Comments

• Naf
    Naf Posts: 3,160 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Pleased to see true omnivores topping the list.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    - Mark Twain
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon: no matter how good you are at chess, its just going to knock over the pieces and strut around like its victorious.
  • *KKH_KISH*
    *KKH_KISH* Posts: 180 Forumite
    So many selfish, ignorant people. You could tell them the world will end tomorrow if they keep eating meat and they'd STILL stomp their feet and bleat about their rights to do so. I doubt half the voters (or commenters on FB) even bothered to read the opening statement about the point of the poll, just jumped to the usual defensive "I eat loads of meat coz I want to and we're meant to... blah blah..." nonsense. *sigh*
    'Still dealing with my debt, but I'll get there. Keep smiling.' :D
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Annually I'd probably get through: Some turkey on Xmas day; maybe 1-2 kebabs a year (not had one this year); 3 packs of sausages; a couple of pizzas with some meat on.

I'm not a big meat user/eater.

It wouldn't bother me if no meat were available.
  • Angelicdevil
    Angelicdevil Posts: 1,707 Forumite
    I eat food containing meat more than once a day. It's a staple in my diet.
    I have a simple philosophy:
    Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches.
    - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
  • Elijay
    Elijay Posts: 10 Forumite
    I don't eat meat because it's expensive. I'd rather spend the money I save on holidays & days out.
  • marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I don't eat vegetables, still cannot stand my greens. So it's meat all the way for me.
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    *KKH_KISH* wrote: »
    So many selfish, ignorant people. You could tell them the world will end tomorrow if they keep eating meat

If you told me the world was going to end tomorrow, I would happily tuck into a meal in which the main ingredient was dead animal.

No point dying on an empty belly is there?
  • cod3
    cod3 Posts: 805 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    There’s talk the world’s resources are getting drained because of too much
    meat production. It’s argued a field growing crops can feed many more people
    than one growing crops to feed animals destined for our kitchens

I read about this in The Higher Taste 25+ years ago. It's not news, but glad MSE is putting it out there :)

I've been vegetarian for 37 years. My children have been veggie since birth. One might turn omni later, the other says she would never.

I love all veg apart from baby corn cobs and lady's fingers.
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    cod3 wrote: »
    I love all veg apart from baby corn cobs

Philistine - baby corns are yum!
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • thistledome
    thistledome Posts: 1,566 Forumite
    I'm very surprised that only 10% of people who voted are vegetarians. I would have estimated it as 20 or 25%. Although that does explain why most restaurants can't be bothered to cater for us.
    Love the animals: God has given them the rudiments of thought and joy untroubled. Do not trouble their joy, don't harrass them, don't deprive them of their happiness.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure