What's the most economical used 4x4/SUV

What's the most economical used 4x4, fuel ECT all considered, but especially fuel! & before you have a go, I know they are not the most economical of cars, but some are more so than others. Looking to spend £3,000 - £5,000 ish.

Smallish (but not Terrios!).

Looked at Rav4, good name, can get 1.8 for about £5,500, not "proper" 4x4 so the most economical except for Diesel which are too new to be in my price range.

Freelander, diesels from about £3,500+

Nothing bigger than these, want two front airbags & ABS brakes.

Any ideas??? Getting dizzy from looking!!!!

Thanks
Kim

Comments

• DavidHM
    DavidHM Posts: 481 Forumite
    RAV4 or CRV, probably the RAV4 for fuel economy.

At least the Toyota and Honda are decent to drive and, unlike the Freelander, pretty reliable. (Just about everything that can go wrong on a Freelander does, particularly the 1.8 petrol engine).

Frankly there are so many practical and financial downsides to owning a 4x4 (space, economy, purchase price, tyres, etc.) that you'll always be picking the best of a bad bunch.
    Debt at highest: September 2003 - £26,350 :eek:
    Debt now: £14,100 :rolleyes:
    Debt free day: October 2008 :beer:
  • milkydrink
    milkydrink Posts: 2,407 Forumite
    Thank you, I think the CR-V's are out of my price range but I will have a look.

I do live in the country:D

Kim
  • Markyt
    Markyt Posts: 11,864 Forumite
    Fiat Panda? Suzuki 4x4? subaru forrester?

Most of the newer diesels will also run on a mix of veg oil and diesel - don't forget to declare it and pay the tax if you try this though ;-)
  • milkydrink
    Don't like the Panda 4x4's.
    Think the older Suzuki's are not nice either, but the 1 or 2 year old ones are nice:D , but out of my price range:mad: .
    As for the Subaru's didn't know they did a small one, will look at it.

I think the Rav4 is coming out the best for fuel.
    Fuel is very important, my husband buys, insures, taxes, & maintaines it;) , but I gotta put the fuel in:D . So as economical as they come is great;) .

Thank you
  • peterg1965
    peterg1965 Posts: 2,152
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Already been mentioned but the Panda 4x4 is supposed to be OK, It was tested on Top Gear and they (remarkably) seem to like it. Have a look and dont be put off by Fiats of old. Alternately what about a Suzuki?
  • Markyt
    Markyt Posts: 11,864 Forumite
    peterg1965 wrote:
    Already been mentioned but the Panda 4x4 is supposed to be OK, It was tested on Top Gear and they (remarkably) seem to like it. Have a look and dont be put off by Fiats of old. Alternately what about a Suzuki?

the Panda is actually made by suzuki - same drive train.
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    I presume you do actually need a 4x4? i.e. you intend to take it off road. If that is the case fuel economy is the last thing you should be thinking about, the priority should be on 4x4 ability.

If it is not the case, what on earth do you want a 4x4 4?
  • milkydrink
    Wig wrote:
    I presume you do actually need a 4x4? i.e. you intend to take it off road. If that is the case fuel economy is the last thing you should be thinking about, the priority should be on 4x4 ability.

If it is not the case, what on earth do you want a 4x4 4?

Thanks but I didn't ask for comments on the type of vehicle I wish to purchase, nor do I plan to enter into a discussion about or justify it. Just "helpful" advice on the most suitable model for my needs.
  • teeb
    teeb Posts: 392 Forumite
    Markyt wrote:
    the Panda is actually made by suzuki - same drive train.

You're thinking of the Fiat Sedici / Suzuki SX4 4x4s, which share the same underpinnings.

I think.
  • milkydrink
    Really lost me now with underpinnings:o

I thought Fiat were Italian & Suzuki Japanese:confused:

I quite like the Renault RX4, jeep shaped (wheel on the back ect) & lots of cosy toys inside. I was in one yesterday. Had never seen them before till yesterday.
    Any opinions on these. Probably a diesel one, the alize one is the lowest insurance group.

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport