Esa: Support group, means tested?

Hi,
I'm sick of trying to figure out all the info on ESA. I'm sick with worry. I get Incapacity benefit (no income support)

Can someone tell me please - If by some miracle I pass the medical when it looms, and if I get put in the Support group. Am I right in thinking I won't be forced to go out and do a job I'm not capable of doing. And will any savings I have be taken into account. I read this site, get confused, then upset, then stop reading for a while, then get really churned up and can't think straight.

Am I also right in thinking that the rates of benefit are going to be drastically cut? I keep looking at government sites etc but come away more confused.

I thought Esa was just one particular benefit, but it seems that there's different aspects of it.

Comments

• dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    The Support Group is not means tested.

I am not aware of any plans to cut incapacity related benefit rates.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • sunnyone
    sunnyone Posts: 4,716
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    cagneyfan wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm sick of trying to figure out all the info on ESA. I'm sick with worry. I get Incapacity benefit (no income support)

Can someone tell me please - If by some miracle I pass the medical when it looms, and if I get put in the Support group. Am I right in thinking I won't be forced to go out and do a job I'm not capable of doing. And will any savings I have be taken into account. I read this site, get confused, then upset, then stop reading for a while, then get really churned up and can't think straight.

Am I also right in thinking that the rates of benefit are going to be drastically cut? I keep looking at government sites etc but come away more confused.

I thought Esa was just one particular benefit, but it seems that there's different aspects of it.

If you pass the medical and are found to have a limited caperbility for work you will still get the same as you are getting IB but it will be frozen until ESA rates "catches up".

If you are getting contributions based IB then ESA will also be contributions based but if you fall into the work related group plans have been mooted to limit the benefit to 12 months contributions based and because you have been on IB you wont get the 12 months or so it has been reported in the gutter press.

we are all screwed.
  • dmg24
    sunnyone wrote: »
    If you pass the medical and are found to have a limited caperbility for work you will still get the same as you are getting IB but it will be frozen until ESA rates "catches up".

If you are getting contributions based IB then ESA will also be contributions based but if you fall into the work related group plans have been mooted to limit the benefit to 12 months contributions based and because you have been on IB you wont get the 12 months or so it has been reported in the gutter press.

we are all screwed.

I have not seen that suggestion in any official documents.
    goffo wrote: »
    Are you claiming the Income based or Contribution based ESA?

The OP is currently on IB. Hence they will be on IB ESA. Keep up andy.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • cit_k
    cit_k Posts: 24,812 Forumite
    dmg24 wrote: »

The change is retrospective when it comes in, that much is known, but no idea if it includes IB as part of the retrospective change.
    Certainly anyone who was on contrib ESA in the work group for a year, would be kicked of the day the changes came into force as they had already been on for a year.

Would not suprise me if they said, well IB counts too...
    [greenhighlight]but it matters when the most senior politician in the land is happy to use language and examples that are simply not true.
    [/greenhighlight][redtitle]
    The impact of this is to stigmatise people on benefits,
    and we should be deeply worried about that
    [/redtitle](house of lords debate, talking about Cameron)
  • cagneyfan
    cagneyfan Posts: 378 Forumite
    goffo wrote: »
    Are you claiming the Income based or Contribution based ESA?

Income based will take your savings into account, the other won't.

Get yourself into the Support Group and they will leave you alone as they say that you are not fit for any work. They may re-test you at some later date though.

They are saying that those on Contribution based ESA, and in the Work Group, will only get 12 months of benefit. It is much better if you can push for the Support Group as they will pay you for as long as you qualify.

I must be getting Contribution based ESA as my savings are not affected. This is really worrying as I'm concerned that at some point my savings may be taken into account.

I know a lot of people think they should, but my savings are part of a compensation settlement and it concerns me that they'll get eaten up in everyday living expenses - rather than what I believe they were intended for - which is to help me with my health problems.

So just to clarify. When I get the medical, I'll have less stress if I get put on "ESA - SUPPORT GROUP (CONTRIBUTION BASED). I'm wondering if this is likely, the stories I'm reading are like something out of a horror movie!

I've also noticed from something I read somewhere (can't find it now) that the questions have been dramatically changed on the work capability test.

Whereas it used to say something like, " I have to move/stand up etc whilst holding onto something etc due to discomfort" - now it states that you have to do so with the "help of someone." Does that mean if you're holding onto something (because you live alone and have no-one to help) that you're now as fit as a butchers dog?
  • cagneyfan
    edited 21 January 2011 at 4:44PM

What does the IB in IB ESA refer to? Does it mean incapacity benefit, or income based (I hate abbreviations!)

This is confusing me. I'm currently on Incapacity Benefit with no income support. So does that mean I'd be on income based ESA or contribution based ESA
  • dmg24
    cagneyfan wrote: »
    What does the IB in IB ESA refer to? Does it mean incapacity benefit, or income based (I hate abbreviations!)

This is confusing me. I'm currently on Incapacity Benefit with no income support. So does that mean I'd be on income based ESA or contribution based ESA

You will go onto CB ESA. Ignore goffo, he is a well known troll who just tries to lead people down the wrong path. ;)
    Gone ... or have I?
  • cagneyfan
    You will go onto CB ESA. Ignore goffo, he is a well known troll who just tries to lead people down the wrong path. ;)

Thanks, of course that's assuming I get put onto that benefit. That's the worry - all these appeals and tribunals people are going through are horrendous and stressful
  • dmg24
    I know it is a very uncertain time, but the best thing to do is not to look at what is happening to others. The fact is that people are far more likely to post when things go wrong, as they don't need any help if everything has gone to plan. The system is certainly not perfect, but if you work with it hopefully things will work out for you.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • The whole ESA thing is a nightmare, cagneyfan. There is not much information coming out, and as you say, a lot of it is contradictory. What they are saying now though is that those people who are exempt on IB or who have no review date are going to be among the first to get reassessed. And that details for the new WCA are not forthcoming.

There is more info on ww.benefitsandwork.co.uk, some of the info is free, some you have to register for.

The date of the assessment is meant to be the date of your review on IB, but there seems to be a clause where they can do it anytime :mad:.

I think a lot of the details are actually hazy, and seeing as how they are behind with ESA appeals and what not, how they are going to reassess everyone on IB in a relatively short space of time, I know not. As my OH says, maybe we'll all be on Universal Credit before then:rotfl:

CC2 3/2/11
    [STRIKE]£435.45[/STRIKE][STRIKE] 3/3/11 £425.76[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]6/5/11 £402.37
    [/STRIKE] 6/8/11 £328.82
    The Great Declutter 2011 - email decluttering 5/2/11
    [STRIKE]2030[/STRIKE][STRIKE]3/3/11 2000[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]3/5/11 1850[/STRIKE]22/11/11 1600
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure