PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Options

Comments

• Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Right ... I went out for a random drive, perchance to randomly spot a random takeaway that happened to have a parking spot outside and didn't look grubby.... but I got 200 yards up the road and CBA.

Instead of spending £7-8 in a random takeaway I'd probably regret I went to 4ldi to spend the money on "stuff you've not tried before".

Tea tonight is: Basmati rice (from cupboard), 5 hot/spicy chicken strips in something (breadcrumbs I think, could be batter), and half a jar of sweet/sour sauce (with a spoon of added balsamic vinegar as it smelt too sickly sweet).

It'll be served up in about 4 minutes' time.

EDIT: Well, at a cost of £1.12, that was very edible ....if somewhat a large portion. I chose to do 5 chicken bits as there were 10 in the packet.... but 4 would've done. Rice I did by eye, so was generous. 1/2 a jar of s/s was a bit too much, 1/3rd would've done.
    That sounds like it was nice, and a lot cheaper than a take away.

It makes me think that I should try once every couple of weeks to try something that I've never had before. Whether that be something shop bought or a new recipe.

I think I will set myself a challenge to do this one day next week. I'll have a wander around and look at different things when I go to the shops next week. I usually go with a list, and just go and pick those items up. Apart from looking at the rtc stuff I don't usually have a wander around looking at things.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 July 2017 at 7:04AM
    Options
    I'll have a wander around and look at different things when I go to the shops next week. I usually go with a list, and just go and pick those items up. Apart from looking at the rtc stuff I don't usually have a wander around looking at things.

"Seeing what's there, seeing what's new and seeing what I fancy" is the way I've always shopped. While not "adventurous" and not looking for the latest fad/fashion, I will buy things that sound nice if the price is right. I'm not hooked to any one brand, but that's because I've never found "something that's out of this world, never to be replaced".

I stick to "the same sort of food" - but just always scan the shelves for something a little different....

4ldi is new to me as they only opened here recently, so I've not tried the majority of what they've got - and they seem to have a lot of potentially interesting things in the freezer.

Chilled shelves, these days, give me fewer joys as the food in chillers have tended to go more with "trends" and away from pie varieties, quiche varieties.

Some "finds" in the past have been such things as discovering in Sainsbobs tins in the soup aisle of "beef & dumplings", sold under a soup label. A handy "meal in a tin" find... or discovering the 15p spaghetti/hoops most supermarkets seem to sell (splash of balsamic vinegar and they're not so bland)..... or the L1dl/4ldi Frikadellen (meatballs or patties).

If I had to put a figure to it I'd probably say that I try one new thing/month or so - not trying to find/try new things, so no pressure to discover them - but always got my eye out "in case" I discover something brilliant. The discovery rate is higher at the moment as I am still new to 4ldi and it's close by.

It's how I discovered/used balsamic vinegar .... as I spotted it once in 4ldi at 59p and thought "I don't really know what that is, but it seems to be mentioned everywhere .... and at 59p I feel in a mood to give that a punt" - and now I use a splash of it here and there for a variety of reasons...eg. it improves 15p cans of spaghetti hoops from L1dl :)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 9 July 2017 at 7:08AM
    Options

It makes me think that I should try once every couple of weeks to try something that I've never had before. Whether that be something shop bought or a new recipe.

My motto there is to look for something I havent tried before every time I go in a food shop. Living where I do now - then I'm not going to get overwhelmed by a constant stream of new things to try and so that means I'm maybe only getting something new, say, once a month or so. If I lived back in Home City - then I'd have to ration myself - or I'd be buying loadsa new things every time I went shopping.

So it does depend a bit where one lives.

Ditto to living where I do now - then, when I see an ingredient featuring noticeably often in my newest cookbooks - then I will specifically look for it here and, if I cant find it, I send off and buy it from Amazon. I wasn't able to find teff flour or even silken tofu here for instance - so had to send off for it. But I did have a result the other day and finally saw some panko breadcrumbs in a shop here - and promptly bought them.
  • Hollyharvey
    edited 9 July 2017 at 11:23AM
    Options
    [QUOTE=PasturesNew;72811079_

4ldi is new to me as they only opened here recently, so I've not tried the majority of what they've got - and they seem to have a lot of potentially interesting things in the freezer.

If I had to put a figure to it I'd probably say that I try one new thing/month or so ...

It's how I discovered/used balsamic vinegar .... as I spotted it once in 4ldi at 59p and thought "I don't really know what that is, but it seems to be mentioned everywhere .... and at 59p I feel in a mood to give that a punt" - and now I use a splash of it here and there for a variety of reasons...eg. it improves 15p cans of spaghetti hoops from L1dl :)[/QUOTE]

Aldi will be one of the places that I will have a good look around. I may go there tomorrow. As you know I have also only just started discovering what is in Aldi, because although it has been in this town for years I couldn't use it until I had the trolley to get things home because of the distance. I will have a good look in the freezer, I haven't looked in the freezer there yet.

I use balsamic vinegar to 'jazz' things up like you. I use Worcester sauce quite a lot as well for that sort of thing.
  • Hollyharvey
    Options
    My motto there is to look for something I havent tried before every time I go in a food shop.

I'm maybe only getting something new, say, once a month or so.

Yes, I'm going to start looking for something new each time I go in a shop now, with the aim of trying something new once a month or so.
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    I have no food I fancy ... how often does the day start like that?

It's SCORCHIO!!!! and then some here today. Sun's blazing down .... hot, hot, hot, hot.....

I'll probably have a cooked breakfast at some point (beans, eggs, sausages, hash browns) ... and there'll be some cornflakes at some point I bet.

And I have crumpets.... overload of crumpets too - I picked up another pack of those last night as they had a 30% off sticker... so now I've two opened 6-packs in the freezer with two removed apiece.

I've no bread else I'd have tomato sandwiches....I could go and get bread, but that means changing clothes as I am currently dressed for painting (been out and done a bit this morning) ... so might not bother.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 9 July 2017 at 11:19AM
    Options
    ...and my thought for the day being I've been reading an online Guardian article by a chef (couldnt manage to type up a usable link to it on here) about not letting our confidence as a cook get undermined by recipes.

That being feeling we should do everything exactly as per recipe. There is a happy medium between someone saying "I've just made x recipe - but I changed this/altered quantity of that/etc/etc" to which I think "Well - you havent made x recipe then have you?" and feeling it's okay to amend a bit and not lay claim to it being the original recipe.

So - next time a recipe says that one needs to add 6 ingredients and it goes "first add this, then add that, then add something else" I shall do what he advocates and chuck all 6 ingredients in at once - unless there is a valid reason for separating out on that instruction.

He also said about not being afraid to think of substituting or missing out ingredients (one of our singles particular problem - as we buy stuff specifically for recipes and then land up with those leftovers again). Have started thinking like that already. With my weakness for cookbooks and trying to learn a new way of cooking - then I've just had through "Vegan on the go" - and I wondered why they seem to add some sweetening of some description to the type of recipes I swear don't usually have it. This time - I looked at the photo of the two of them on the back (clue = they're not slim) and promptly decided to omit those sweetenings any time I try one of their recipes and I must generally take ideas from them and then add a virtual "pinch of salt".

Now Deliciously Ella on the other hand - who has a figure similar to what I used to have/intend to have again - and I am much more likely to copy her recipes word for word:rotfl:

EDIT; I saw a set of photos online (newspaper article?) recently showing plates of the same sort of foods. There were 3 plates - one modern day size (ie too big), one normal size, one diet size and you could see that you shouldnt eat the first size plate worth ever and should eat plate 2 size and that plate 3 size was perfectly adequate whilst losing weight. Does anyone know of somewhere I could get through a nice poster or the like with some "sets of 3 plates" on that I could put up in my kitchen as a reminder. It's proving useful to try and picture those plates - but I feel I could do with a copy of this right in front of me on a daily basis.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Well I have been solo cooking and eating for about three weeks now.....

I'm loving it.......eating delicious healthy food and indulging in a few nice treats. I have lost 6 lbs and saved myself a fortune not having to feed My 6'3" son who has hollow legs:rotfl: what's not to like.....

Re sticking to recipes.

I can't remember which TV chef said it but he said that we shouldn't get too hung up on slavishly following recipes. He said we should improvise and experiment, that we need to trust our tastebuds and get to know which flavours we prefer and work from there.

Was Interested to read your comments about swim cossies , bikinis etc.

I think there is far too pressure. All these silly magazine articles about getting a "beach body". No wonder so many people feel so insecure about their bodies.

Who cares, no one really looks at us that closely and if they do raise an eyebrow or make a nasty comment then so what. Ignore them. Do your own thing. Just don't frighten the horses. :rotfl:

Guess what ........I have cellulite and thread veins on my legs and yes the knees are a bit tempremental these days but heres the thing.......my legs support me and carry me wherever I want, I can walk, run, skip and dance. They are perfect.

My arms may not be sufficiently "toned" but they can lift, they can hold things, they can hug the people I care about. They serve me well.

My belly is a bit flabby and does not conform to the "washboard stomach ideal". But.......it carried my two wonderful children for nine months.....so I wear my stretch marks with pride. They are my battle scars. :rotfl:

I love the sun and the sea so I will strip off and lie on the beach or by the pool.

However when I travel abroad I am very conscious to respect other cultures and take care not to offend my host nations sensibilities. When I leave the beach I cover up. When out sightseeing I dress modestly and demurely. I do not flaunt my body.

I do think a lot of British women could learn a lot from our European sisters.....so many could do with a few lessons in "continental chic". ;)

I think wandering round resorts half naked, going into shops and restaurants in swimwear, or skimpy shorts and tops is totally inappropriate.

Beach wear is not streetwear.
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    I had to pop into Sainsbobs earlier - didn't intend to buy any food, but walked round anyway. Their £3.40 pizzas in the chiller are priced at £2, so I got one.... but I'll probably not cook it today.

Then I found their 4-packs of beans were at £1 (reduced sugar/salt) and I like those, so got two 4-packs...but as I hadn't intended shopping my arms were full so I paid and left.

Back home, not intending to cook the pizza, I had to choose something to eat, so made up a quick layered salad that used up the last bit of midget gem lettuce and a tomato - on top of which I plonked some tiny seashell pasta mixed with salad cream and grated cheese.

Now scoffing a choc ice :)
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    I don't know about holidays or furreners.... I've never been abroad and don't have holidays. I always cover up, wherever I am.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure