Complete Electric Rewiring 3 bedroom house

Hi Guys,

I'm in the process of getting some major building work done for my house and I have found out that my electrics are old. I'm in the process of getting some quotes to find out how much it will cost but would like to also find out here how much it will cost. Currently the house is pretty much gutted and all plastering will be done after the electrical work. All floorboards are currently exposed as well so running cables should be much easier I would imagine.

I would like to get my 3 bedroom house completely rewired. However the kitchen extension will be excluded because this was part of the main building work.

To summarise then the following is required:
21 Double Sockets (Inc double socket for immersion heater)
1 Single Socket (1st floor Hallway)
4 TV/HDMI Socket (Reception 1/2, Large Bedroom 1/2)
6 Spotlights (Reception 2)
7 Single Lights
6 1way Light Switch
2 2way Light Switch
1 Bathroom Light circuit including shaving socket provisioning
1 Consumer Unit
1 Certificate

Options:
1 Armored Cable approx 20m to the back of the garden.

I live in South London... Can anyone tell me how much it will cost to get this work done for 1) standard fittings 2) chrome fittings 3) no fittings - supplied by customer?

Currently I am being quoted £2600-2800 and £3800! for standard fittings exc the armored cable in the garden.

Many Thanks,
BAUK

Comments

• katiecoodle
    katiecoodle Posts: 352 Forumite
    First Post
    I reckon that does sound OK to be honest. I've just had an empty house fully wired (no plaster, so no chasing through walls - quite an easy job relatively) for £1500 inc labour & materials. And yes that included armoured cable externally too - it's a 3 bed but a high spec - 65 spots in total, plus 6 pendant light fittings, 3 TV points (HD) and 5 outside lights. And the alarm was included too. I struck the deal by saying I'd pay cash & wouldn't press him on a timeframe - I think the guy fitted it in by doing 1.5 hours at the end of each day for a couple of weeks.
  • bauk
    bauk Posts: 59 Forumite
    Katie,

That sounds like a good quote. The plastering is not part of the £2600+ quote as this is part of the main work that will be done afterwards.

The quote you had was it based in London? and did you have any wall sockets installed as well?

Thanks
  • baldelectrician
    baldelectrician Posts: 2,467 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I reckon that does sound OK to be honest. I've just had an empty house fully wired (no plaster, so no chasing through walls - quite an easy job relatively) for £1500 inc labour & materials. And yes that included armoured cable externally too - it's a 3 bed but a high spec - 65 spots in total, plus 6 pendant light fittings, 3 TV points (HD) and 5 outside lights. And the alarm was included too. I struck the deal by saying I'd pay cash & wouldn't press him on a timeframe - I think the guy fitted it in by doing 1.5 hours at the end of each day for a couple of weeks.

I hope you got paperwork.
    This works about
    Armour cable £30
    65 spots (inc 65 choc boxes) £325
    Alarm £150
    Other materials £450
    Outside lights £100
    Total materials (minimum, assuming cheap / poor quality screwfix) £1055

Total labour hours (assuming done right) 55 hours
    total hourly rate (profit) < £8.10 per hour

Seems too good to be true.

My guess, no choc boxes on the spots, corners cut, no Part P (or more importantly BS7671, wiring regs paperwork)
    I am guessing GU10 (mains spots) and it will be kits froim Homebase / B&Q.
    You may get problems with the job in time.

I am not deliberatly trying to condem you, but where would you stand if something bad were to happen. Your insurance company may ask questions regarding competency- how would you prove this?

BAUK
    Re original post, the 2 quotes seem OK. Make sure the work is specified to the 17th Edition of BS7671 (IEE Wiring Regs)

You should use a competent person for the work, links below
    In Scotland:
    Individuals regitered;
    http://www.sbsa.gov.uk/register/ListAC.asp
    Companies
    http://www.sbsa.gov.uk/register/SearchCo.asp?T=Construction&ID=2
    In England and Wales:
    http://www.competentperson.co.uk
    baldly going on...
  • darkstar157
    darkstar157 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Hi bauk
    If the work is certified to 17th edition then i think that £2800 is very reasonable especially considering your location.
    good look
  • bauk
    bauk Posts: 59 Forumite
    Firstly thank you to everyone that has replied. You have been extremely helpful!

On the website of one of the companies it says compliant with UK Laws and 16th edition regulations? Is this not good enough? They have a government endorsed standards trust mark.
  • ebbs
    ebbs Posts: 4 Newbie
    I paid £2100 for a full rewire of a 3 bed house including spotlights in kitchen and bathroom and smoke alarms
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    You might find that you don't need a full rewire because some of the existing wiring might be fine. Our electrician quoted a full require cost of about £3000-£4000 but in the end only parts of it needed doing and we paid about £1400. We're in a 3-bed. Ask for an inspection first.
  • Are people allowed to say who they have used to do the work? (I'm new to this site). We've just bought a house together and it needs a new fusebox for sure, but I'm not sure it needs a full rewire as some work was done shortly before we moved in. We've been quote £5,000! Looking at some of the threads here, I think that's way over the top. I live in Farnborough in Hampshire and if anyone is able to put me onto a good electrician in the area (or surrounding area) who won't rip us off, I'd be grateful. (Sorry also if it seems I'm highjacking this thread...)
  • You should use a competent person for the work, links below
    In Scotland:
    Individuals regitered;
    http://www.sbsa.gov.uk/register/ListAC.asp
    Companies
    http://www.sbsa.gov.uk/register/SearchCo.asp?T=Construction&ID=2
    In England and Wales:
    http://www.competentperson.co.uk

These companies have been vetted, some sites have a contractor search facility.
    baldly going on...
  • i would say for a good price you will be looking at the 3000 mark complete with niceic from my firm would definately not go over 3100 it would be less but the hdmi stuff is not something i can give a for sure price on without them i know you would be looking at 2600 so i just added 400 to be sure to cover the hdmi part
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure