PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Recipe Collection Thread (recipe board)

Comments

• I had this for tea tonight. All homemade and I'm really pleased with how it came out, especially as I have not made pastry since being at school!

(Not having broadband at the moment keeps me off the computer!)

Anyway - here's what I did -

Starting this morning I pressed the slow cooker into service. Placed 2 chicken breasts, a tin of mushrooms (I had run out of fresh) and half a jar of Stroganof sauce - leave to simmer for 4 hours.

I then chopped up the chicken, stirred it all back in and left it to cool.

From my school days I remember being told the formula for shortcrust was always 'half fat to flour'. - i.e 8 oz flour and 4 oz fat.

For fat - I used Olivio spread (which says on the side is ok for baking - so possibly it is slightly healthier than butter/lard?)

I made up the pastry and chilled it for 30 mins. Then rolled it out and lined a deep pre-greased dish, keeping some back for the 'lid'.

Tip the chicken stroganof in, cover with the pastry lid, make fancy patterns with a fork all along the sides to seal it all in.

Pop into a hot oven for 30 mins and voila!

Delicious!
  • This is long and needs alot of prep, and requires marinating time, but it is well worth it. It's the closest I've managed to get to good 'restaurant' flavour (and let's face it, there's plenty of Indian restaurants I've been to that I wouldn't want to emulate, but the good ones are like heaven on a plate), and I'm still working on it. I'm not a great fan of the Kris Dhillon boiling onion method, although the resulting gravy is a nice flavour and I know alot of restaurants do this to save time, but I don't do that for this, although adding that gravy instead of water should the sauce dry would be better than water. Pat Chapman's onion puree method also didn't seem to quite hit the spot for me so I adapted with something that I saw once but can't remember where!

Serves 2

Stage One: Tandoori Chicken

2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts.
    100 ml natural yoghurt
    1 + 1/2 tsp ground cumin
    1 + 1/2 tsp ground coriander
    1 + 1/2 tsp paprika
    1 tsp ground ginger
    1/2 tsp chilli powder
    1 tsp salt
    Juice of one lime
    6 cloves garlic
    1 tbsp sunflower oil

Cut the chicken into large bitesize pieces.

Put in a bowl with the lime juice and a little salt and rub in and leave for ten minutes.

Mix all the spices and salt in a little water to make a firm paste.

Heat the oil to a moderate heat in a pan. Add the garlic cloves and fry gently ensuring the oil is not too hot.

When the garlic has started to soften, add the spice paste and stir in, checking the temperature ensuring you don't burn the spices or the garlic.

Cook gently for at least ten minutes, until the 'raw' smell of the spices has sweetened, and the oil has started to float to the top.

Put the spice and garlic mixture (once it has cooled) into a blender with the yoghurt and liquidise. Then pour this onto the chicken and lime, and leave to marinate in the fridge (covered) for at least three hours, or preferably overnight.

Heat the oven to maximum temperature.

Skewer the marinated chicken on metal skewers (available in Wilkos and in some supermarkets) trying to space the pieces out and no more than four or five pieces per skewer. Retain the spare marinade.

Remove the oven shelves (do this prior to pre-heating the oven) and place a foil-lined tray in the bottom of the oven. Stand the skewers up leaning against the sides of the oven at a slight angle. This will mean the chicken will cook evenly much as it would in authentic tandoor oven (laying the skewers horizontally often ends up with the meat hanging down and the underside being soggy from the juice).
    Cook for around fifteen to twenty minutes, if the outer flesh blackens slightly, no problem, it gives it that authentic barbecue/tandoori feel.

Remove from the skewers while as warm as possible to prevent sticking and set aside in a bowl.

Stage Two: The Sauce

1 large tbsp ghee (or oil if not available)
    1 tbsp sunflower oil
    1 large onion, sliced
    2 cloves garlic
    1 inch fresh ginger
    2 tomatoes, chopped
    1 dessertspoon tomato puree
    1 tsp mustard seeds
    1 tsp cumin seeds
    1 tsp ground coriander
    1 + 1/2 tsp paprika
    1 tsp garam masala
    2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
    salt

Heat the sunflower oil in a frying pan to a moderate/high heat.

Add the onions and cook at a fairly high heat until they begin to brown and caramelise.

Get them to a really nice brown colour, almost crispy, then reduce the heat and add the garlic and ginger and fry them in gently for five minutes.

Put the mixture into a food processor and puree. Set aside.

Mix the ground spices (not the seeds) with enough water to make a paste.

Heat the ghee in a large saucepan on a moderate heat.

Add the mustard and cumin seeds and heat until they start to pop.

Add the fried onion/garlic/ginger puree and the spice paste to the pan. Fry gently for around ten minutes until the 'raw' spice smell has sweetened.

Add the tomatoes, tomato puree, spare marinade yoghurt and simmer for around five minutes.

Add the tandoori chicken, fresh coriander and salt to taste. Simmer for around fiftenn minutes, adding a little water (or curry gravy as mentioned earlier!) if it looks too dry, and then serve with rice or breads of your choice.
  • 1 red pepper
    3 small or 1 large onion
    juice of 1/2 lemon
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 large cooking apple

In a food processor blitz the onion and pepper until fine (or chop very finely)
    add salt, pepper and lemon juice to taste.

Peel and core apples, chop up quite fine (or again give a quick blitz in the food processor)
    Place in a saucepan and add approx 1 - 2 tablespoons water. Cook until just tender (I did mine al dente like pasta, some soft bits and some still crunchy)
    Allow to cool and spoon apple into red pepper and onion mix. Give a good stir together and check seasoning.

I served mine with pork chops, had plenty left over so this has been frozen in portions to use in stuffing etc at a later date.

Eating apples can be used and left uncooked, but using cooking apples quickly cooked gives a semi sweet tang to the salsa.

Enjoy!
  • 1 packet Lidl bacon misshapes
    1 large onion
    cup of frozen peas
    minced or very finely chopped garlic
    leftover mash
    1 tin condensed soup ( I used mushroom )
    1 pot elmlea cream

Chop bacon into pieces and cook until just done
    finely chop onion and soften together with garlic, add frozen peas, cook until just tender.
    Mix cream and soup together. (You can thin the soup with mostly anything, I usually use cream but you can use milk, water stock or whatever you prefer.)

Place bacon, peas and onion mix in bottom of casserole dish. pour soup mix over and allow to cool.
    Fluff up leftover mash with a fork, spread over bacon mix when cool.

Cook in oven at 200oc for approx 30- 40 minutes until bubbling hot and potato is browned and crispy.

For a variation, add whatever vegetables you like and vary the condensed soup flavours (Tomato makes a nice sauce)You can also top with cheese just before serving.

This serves approx 4 - 6 people as a main dish depending on portion size
  • Aril
    Aril Posts: 1,877
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    1 smal red pepper & 1 small orange pepper chopped small
    1 med onion chopped small
    12oz mush chopped
    3 sticks celery chopped
    8oz wholewheat breadcrumbs
    6oz mature cheddar grated
    1 large egg
    3tbsp oil
    s&p
    Preheat overn 190c. Lightly grease 2 pt ovenproof dish
    Heat oil. fry onion, peppers & celery for 5 mins. Add mush. fry 10-12 mins
    Remove pan from heat and stir in 6oz crumbs & 4oz cheese. Beat egg with s&P and add to pan stirring. Mix everything together.
    Spoon mixture into baking dish & level with back of spoon.
    Mix together with remaining cheese and breadcrumbs and sprinkle over top. Bake 25 mins. can be eaten hot or cold
    Aril
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!
  • pickle
    pickle Posts: 611 Forumite
    Tom Yum Soup (for one person - lge bowl or two smaller bowls) - very spicy

Mae Sri Tom Yum Paste (available at most Asian supermarkets)
    Prawns or Chicken breast
    Tinned mushrooms in brine
    lemongrass in jar
    sugar
    salt
    corriander in jar (or fresh)
    a lime
    fish sauce
    lime leaves
    chilli (for extra heat if wanted)
    a tomato
    vege or chicken stock cube

Mix 1 rounded dess. sp of tom yum past in 3 cups of water
    add: 1/2 stockcube, a handful of prawns or chopped up chicken breast, a small handful of mushrooms, 1.5 tsp of lemongrass, .25 tsp of sugar, pinch of salt, .25 tsp of corriander or fresh equiv., sml. splash of lime juice, .5 cap of fish sauce, 2 lime leaves, .25 tsp chilli and 1 sml tomato chopped into small pieces.

Simmer for about 10 mins (less time for prawns - about 5)
  • MrsB_2
    MrsB_2 Posts: 659 Forumite
    I've deleted this recipe as I was worried about copyright as per Squeaky's message. The only way I could give clear enough instructions was to copy the method verbatim from the magazine, so figured it was best to remove it and avoid any issues.

If anybody would like the recipe please pm me.
    I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star. I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far; for a might have-been has never been, but a has was once an are – Milton Berle
  • AussieLass
    AussieLass Posts: 4,066
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Pastry: Any pastry you make or buy frozen pastry.

Filling: 1 cup mashed pumpkin 1 clove garlic
    2 rashers bacon 3 shallots
    250g feta cheese 3 eggs
    2/3 cup cream 2 tabs chopped parsley
    salt & pepper
    Chop bacon, cook in microwave with shallots & garlic a few minutes. Grate cheese & add pumpkin, beaten eggs, cream, parsley, salt & pepper & bacon mixture. Mix well. Place in pastry case. Bake in moderate oven about 1 hour or until set.
    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia. ;)

• AussieLass
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    4 hard boiled eggs 1 onion, chopped finely
    4 rashers bacon, chopped finely 1 tab parsley
    1/2 teas mixed herbs 250g mashed potato ( 1 cup)
    250g mashed pumpkin ( 1 cup) 1/2 cooked peas
    salt & pepper

I use frozen puff pastry for this. We get it in big squares that I cut into four. Mix all above ingredients together. (I then freeze half for another night). Place spoonfuls of mixture in centre of square. Fold into a triangle & brush with milk. Bake in mod oven 180 until brown. Can be eaten hot or cold. Grated cheese on top before cooking is nice for a change.
    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia. ;)

• AussieLass
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Cream 125g softened butter and 1/2 cup sugar. Add 1 cup mashed pumpkin gradually. Beat in 1 egg, 1 tab golden syrup and grated rind or a orange. Fold in 1 1/2 cups SR flour, 2 teas custard powder, 1 teas bi-card, 1 tab cocoa & juice of 1 orange. Bake in moderate oven for about 50 mins. Ice with choc icing.

NB: I found this cake best to be put in the fridge as it was so moist, it was hard to cut. But being very chilly over there:pyou may not need to.
    tab = tablespoon;)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure