Hargreaves Lansdown transfer obstructions

TonyWarwick
TonyWarwick Posts: 3 Newbie
edited 26 April 2017 at 1:44PM in Savings & investments
Sorry this is a long post, but I hope interesting.

Both my wife and I recently decided to transfer our ISA accounts from Hargreaves Lansdown to Interactive Investor. The reason is simple - it will save us more than £1600 pa in fees for the same holdings.

We filled out the II transfer forms as required, and these were sent in to HL, but HL have declined both transfers:
1. They declined mine on the grounds that the client number I had given was wrong. I had quoted the full client number beginning with 00xxxxxx (which is how THEY quoted it on their early documents) whereas they say I should have just quoted the xxxxxx part. Given that I had also given my full name, date of birth and full address, it seems absurd that they are unable to resolve this, and I suspect they are being deliberately obstructive, especially in light of ...
2. They declined my wife's because she had "failed to pass money laundering regulations". They told II that they had requested AML documents from her (they hadn't) but had not received them. My wife's account with HL has been open and live since mid-2015.

On challenging HL about these refusals, I was told that the first problem was all II's fault because they 'should have known the leading zeros were not needed'. This seems very thin, but on asking them to proceed they insist that II restart the process with a new transfer request.

They then went on to inform my wife that they had not yet contacted her about this, but that they were 'about to' request AML documentation - and that this had to be done through the post and could take as much as 10 days to arrive. She asked why, when her account had been open for some years, they needed this, and she was told that it is a Statutory Requirement. She then observed that they hadn't requested this from her husband (me) and they said they 'probably would' in future.

I have looked carefully at HMRCs guidance document for ISA managers (chapter 11) and can find absolutely no reference to AML requirements on the 'outgoing' manager on transferring out, so I am wondering if HLs claim that this is a Statutory Requirement is true. I suspect that they are simply being obstructive and instigating deliberate delays.

Anyone with similar experiences?

Comments

• bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    edited 26 April 2017 at 2:46PM
    I don't have direct experience of a HL AML request, but regulated financial services businesses are required by law to carry out the identity checks they feel necessary to document the customers using their own procedures and and risk-based approach (which each business must implement as it sees fit to avoid falling foul of the law).

It might not be mentioned for outgoing managers in a government ISA manager's guide because it is assumed to have already been done at time of account opening, and the fact it is an ISA account doesn't change their basic duties compared to any other account they offer anyway.

As your wife is leaving, there is not a cat in hell's chance she would send them whatever documentation they request after she is no longer a customer and they have no practical leverage on her to make her comply. So unfortunately they will see this as the last chance saloon to collect her information properly before they allow her to leave. And clearly giving her "clean" investment proceeds to walk away with, without properly identifying her, is bad form in the world of AML. So she'll probably just have to suck it up, although she should complain that these things weren't requested in the last two years (if they genuinely weren't and now it is delaying her move).

As an aside, crying "but you never asked for these documents for my husband" is not a particularly good way to get them to drop a burdensome request. If anything, that is only going to encourage them to want to check him out too - it is not going to make a compliance officer decide that he is going to forget he ever asked her for her docs. The compliance guy doesn't want to write on his anti terrorism files, "She didn't want to provide any documents to prove she was who she said she was, so we let her off and paid her out anyway".

However, for your other complaint, the "on your transfer form, you included the leading zeroes in your customer account number that we always show on your statement, so we couldn't identify your account number and consider your request invalid, please start again" is a completely ludicrous response and i would complain heartily about that.
  • Thanks bowlhead99. I'm sure your comments are correct in relation to opening an account, but HL are not saying that AML information is missing or outstanding from their obligations in relation to holding my wife's account. They are saying that they are obliged to carry out AML proving AGAIN on receiving a transfer request. This is not a longstanding 'missing' piece of info, it's a fresh requirement and I can find no evidence of a statutory basis for it. It may be HL's policy to seek this info again, but is it a requirement or an obligation? if the former, then I must accept it, but cannot help suspecting that it is, at least in part, a contrived delay. In any event, HL's statement to II was untrue in that my wife had never 'failed to pass' an AML check, and she had received no request at that point.

You're right, of course, that it would have been better had my wife not mentioned my case in her discussion, but she was understandably irritated by the whole position. I suspect that HL will now await the resubmission of the transfer request (without the zeros!) and will THEN send me an AML information request through the post. HL contact their clients by email and secure message for every other topic, but not this, apparently.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    edited 26 April 2017 at 5:47PM
    Thanks bowlhead99. I'm sure your comments are correct in relation to opening an account, but HL are not saying that AML information is missing or outstanding from their obligations in relation to holding my wife's account.
    Effectively, they are really. They're saying she's not been documented well enough, in terms of the documents they want/need to have on file in relation to her account; so she needs to be documented properly
    they are saying that they are obliged to carry out AML proving AGAIN on receiving a transfer request. This is not a longstanding 'missing' piece of info, it's a fresh requirement and I can find no evidence of a statutory basis for it.
    The basis is that she's not been documented well enough, and needs to be. Perhaps they forgot to ask when she joined so there's nothing on file, or something went missing (annoying but feasible with a massive client base) or they only got some basic info which they didn't get around to following up properly but now realise their records are inadequate.

I get that a cynic might find the timing suspicious but it can be the case that trying to wrap up a customer file can be a trigger to remediate the missing documentation, even if you have had no reason to even open the customer master file for the last year or two.

If it was one of the financial services businesses that had the multi million pound fines for having slack anti money laundering processes in recent years, they might say, "sod it, she's leaving anyway, i cant be bothered". However, better institutions will follow these things up, even though it doesn't feel like they are "better" in terms of your wife's customer experience. :)
    It may be HL's policy to seek this info again, but is it a requirement or an obligation? if the former, then I must accept it, but cannot help suspecting that it is, at least in part, a contrived delay.
    It isn't a requirement to "seek it again on exit" if they already have it. But if they never got it in the first place, or only partially got it (including, for example, for the reason that they simply didn't get round to asking for it in the first place due to some internal error or issue), they should ask for it, rather than letting her walk off with tens of thousands of pounds of clean assets.

Still, say they are getting £10-15 a week in admin fees from her because she has £115k-175k of open ended funds in her ISA. Running round trying to fix documentation errors is the sort of thing that can easily burn through more than £20 of their time and effort so they are probably not doing it just for fun.
    In any event, HL's statement to II was untrue in that my wife had never 'failed to pass' an AML check, and she had received no request at that point.
    It sounds like it's factual that she had not "passed the AML check". Perhaps the reason she had not passed their check was because of your wife having never even previously received the request for AML /identity information in the time she'd been a customer. Still, that wouldn't make it a lie for them to tell the transferee manager that they couldn't release the assets pending completion of a check.

Just so you don't shoot the messenger, I'm not an HL worker or owner, or even customer (my parents have accounts with them but I don't). The comments are just to help you try to make sense of it all and I agree it's not great service of course.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    The AML requirements changed a few years back to include money out as well as money in. So, they are correctly making a check on closure. If the electronic method fails, they have to revert to the old paper method.

I have transferred people out of HL many times and never found them to be obstructive or difficult.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Thanks to both of you (bowlhead99 and dunstonh) for your advice. I think I failed to state the situation as clearly as I should, because HL are indeed definitely seeking AML evidence 'again on exit'. They have now confirmed this because, (as dunstonh states in his/her response), it seems they have a statutory obligation to do so. Apparently this is normally achieved 'invisibly' by online data checks but in my wife's case that seems not to satisfy the case. I guess it is likely to prove the same for me once HL get round to ignoring my 'leading zeros'.

Thanks again for your help. TW
  • dunstonh
    Don't assume yours will fail. Like most financial firms, we also use electronic methods and you frequently find one passes but the other does not. This often happens in households where all the bills are in the husbands name. Or credit agreements etc. So, the spouse has very little recorded in her name and there isnt enough public domain information to build a sufficient pass score.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Chordeiles
    Chordeiles Posts: 164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    dunstonh wrote: »
    I have transferred people out of HL many times and never found them to be obstructive or difficult.
    This might be because you are an IFA who can bring them (or take away) lots of clients ;)
    As a simple customer with not much more than £600,000 invested through them I find they can be arrogant and yes, obstructive.
    Right now I am waiting for the answer to a very simple (transferring-out related) query. My mistake was probably to mark it "urgent", I should have realised this will have irked them and they will have put it to the bottom of the pile.
  • george4064
    george4064 Posts: 2,810 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Chordeiles wrote: »
    This might be because you are an IFA who can bring them (or take away) lots of clients ;)
    As a simple customer with not much more than £600,000 invested through them I find they can be arrogant and yes, obstructive.
    Right now I am waiting for the answer to a very simple (transferring-out related) query. My mistake was probably to mark it "urgent", I should have realised this will have irked them and they will have put it to the bottom of the pile.

I have about 1/10 of what you have with HL and currently going through an ISA transfer right now, going very smoothly. :)

Just remember that a smooth transfer requires both parties to be efficient and co-operative, its not all down to the firm who currently hold the assets.
    "If you aren’t willing to own a stock for ten years, don’t even think about owning it for ten minutes” Warren Buffett

Save £12k in 2021 - #027 £15,268 (76%)
  • dunstonh
    This might be because you are an IFA who can bring them (or take away) lots of clients

Certainly, wouldn't bring them to HL!!!
  • Chordeiles
    Chordeiles Posts: 164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    george4064 wrote: »
    Just remember that a smooth transfer requires both parties to be efficient and co-operative, its not all down to the firm who currently hold the assets.
    How true. But I didn't even send my transfer forms off to the new platform yet, so they haven't had their chance to foul things up ! But HL know I'm going. Doubtless the "other party" responsible for this situation is myself. It's true that if I'm unhappy about the service I receive then I'll say so rather than lying down and taking it, so I'm probably not the perfect customer as far as they are concerned :D. But actually I'm sort of grateful to them, if they hadn't p****d me off then I might have continued to pay their fees unthinkingly, this way my drawdown can stand to be about £1500 more each year.

They perhaps haven't worked out yet that my ISA might stay with them, it has only shares, ITs and ETFs, so I'm only paying £45 per annum for it, which is far more comfortable than the thousands I have been paying them to look after my SIPP.

I've noticed I no longer get the usual emails from them. In particular they stopped emailing me when a new "secure message" is available, but also the general stuff my wife has received from them these past 2 weeks has not been mirrored in my own inbox. Interestingly one of those was an invitation to take part in a survey about how the HL SIPP operates. My wife completed it (making mention of the way the charges get uncompetitive as one's funds rise) but by the final pages it becomes clear that the main aim of the "survey" is to recruit more punters to be case studies in their advertising.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure