Young widow husband is terminal lots of questions ....

Hi everyone firstly I need to apologise for this lengthy post .... I have so many questions to ask
I'm 39 and my hub is 44 he is terminally I'll with brain cancer I feel we are nearly at the end of his life ..: I have to be practical and decided to come here for some questions and answers to do with the house credit cards etc

Firstly we didn't have mortgage protection on the house but he does have a death in service payment with work which will help me to pay 75 percent of the mortgage off ... I am the main beneficiary and this will not form part of an estate so I'm told .... he was told he doesn't need a will as he has no assets ... the house is in negative equity , no pension and no savings .. one thing he does have is 13k of debt on credit cards ... he has told me these are unsecured so they can't come After me ?? After all there's no money anywhere at all ... how will the credit card companies deal with this ??? I'm assuming as we both own the house it will just get signed over to me ? ... is this going to be a nightmare for me on top of everything that will happen soon ?? I may have more questions soon but I can't think straight at the moment , thNk you for reading all this xxx

Comments

• Kerri7767 wrote: »
    Hi everyone firstly I need to apologise for this lengthy post .... I have so many questions to ask
    I'm 39 and my hub is 44 he is terminally I'll with brain cancer I feel we are nearly at the end of his life ..: I have to be practical and decided to come here for some questions and answers to do with the house credit cards etc

Firstly we didn't have mortgage protection on the house but he does have a death in service payment with work which will help me to pay 75 percent of the mortgage off ... I am the main beneficiary and this will not form part of an estate so I'm told .... he was told he doesn't need a will as he has no assets ... the house is in negative equity , no pension and no savings .. one thing he does have is 13k of debt on credit cards ... he has told me these are unsecured so they can't come After me ?? After all there's no money anywhere at all ... how will the credit card companies deal with this ??? I'm assuming as we both own the house it will just get signed over to me ? ... is this going to be a nightmare for me on top of everything that will happen soon ?? I may have more questions soon but I can't think straight at the moment , thNk you for reading all this xxx
    This is a terrible situation to be in but you are doing the right thing by doing some planning. The credit card company cannot come after you for the debt but there is a possibility they might try. After you have paid off part of the mortgage then the property will no longer be in negative equity. A will would make thing simpler but is not essential. For the time concentrate on the time you have left with your husband and come back here in due course.
  • Hi Kerri, I am really sorry you find yourself in the situation, but the last thing you need to worry about is those credit card debts, because as your husband said the debt does not pass on to you and as his estate will be insolvent they will have to right them off.
  • note3
    note3 Posts: 291 Forumite
    I'm sorry to hear about your husband.

If you are joint tenants in your house it automatically becomes yours upon his death. From what you've written above I am guessing you are joint tenants not tenants in common.

If you have any joint bank accounts then any money in them automatically becomes yours upon his death.

With the credit cards, they would be unsecured and as such the house is not at risk. Someone more experienced will be along to answer but from what you've written there us no money that is solely your husbands estate and as such no money for the companies to request.
  • Thank you for your replies .. just reading these have put tears in my eyes , stomach in knots was getting confused with probate ? But guessing as there's no money probate don't get involved , my husband did tell me not to pay the large percentage of the mortgage off with the death in service payment until the situation with credit cards sorted .. you've all been lovely thank you... this is beginning to feel real xx
  • Ps do I just tell credit card companies .. he's passed ? Isn't it more complex ?
  • Kerri7767 wrote: »
    Ps do I just tell credit card companies .. he's passed ? Isn't it more complex ?
    As a property is involved probate, or letters of administration if there is no will, has to be done. You need to be very careful about dealing with the estate. If, before the death in service benefit is paid, there are no funds, including the value of his share of the house less the amount due on the mortgage then his estate would be insolvent taking into account the credit card debt. I suggest you see a solicitor without delay for advice on how to act.
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Oh Kerri {{hugs}} I am so sorry to read your post - I really do feel for you at this time. These worries can and will be sorted later - so do not let them spoil your time with your OH.

This is one time, if you have PPI, that it will be useful in regard to the credit card.

I shall be thinking of you both in the next few weeks.
  • Thank you I do know death in service payment does not form part of his estAte , it's a total different payment paid to me separately , we saw a solicitor last year all seems so vague .. the word probTe scares me I do recall them saying probate dont get involved as no money or equity or anything .. it's all very confusing it makes my stomach turn
  • Thank you , the cards are in husbands name tho not mind ?
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Kerri7767 wrote: »
    Thank you , the cards are in husbands name tho not mind ?

Do you know if your husband had PPI on his cards? If so, then the debt should be covered.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure