MOD Tax Refunds

13»

Comments

• martinbuckley
    martinbuckley Posts: 1,713 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I know that, but this company specifically help the Royal Marines claim extra money for ordinary commuting, due to their postings being 2 years or less (on top of their home-duty payments through their salary). The point i'm making, and you seem to have missed, is that why is a RM on a 2yr posting but on a 22yr engagement being treated as a temporary worker for commuting when a civilian who is on a 2yr contract is not.

I'm quite au fait about claiming mileage for courses and non-commuting travel - I claimed it every year from 2006-2014 whilst in the RAF!
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I know that, but this company specifically help the Royal Marines claim extra money for ordinary commuting, due to their postings being 2 years or less (on top of their home-duty payments through their salary). The point i'm making, and you seem to have missed, is that why is a RM on a 2yr posting but on a 22yr engagement being treated as a temporary worker for commuting when a civilian who is on a 2yr contract is not.

because they are 2 different employment circumstances and the taxman has said <2 year temporary transfer is entitled to tax free transfer allowances. In the same way if the civilian on the 2 year contract was sent to another site for, say, 6 months of that contract they would also be entitled to claim.
  • The reason the military personnel in this example are able to claim is because their employment is permanent, and they expect to be in the work areas for 24 months or less for HMRC to deem the location as temporary.

The legislation that is used as a guide by these companies is summed up on the HMRC website under 490 (cannot post a link but it's easy to find).

There are a lot of factors that would need to be considered, and a work place/area can cease to be claimable for many reasons, it may be that you did not meet all of the criteria to claim at the time.
  • I'm looking to put a claim in for a tax refund and really don't want to use a company, so was wondering if anyone could help me.

I was posted overseas for 24 months (actual length of post was 23 months) during which time I travelled from my accommodation to my work place daily receiving HDT Automatic.

As this is deemed a temporary work place, I'm pretty sure I can make a valid claim for the tax value of the difference between the HMRC rates and the rates I received, but wanted to check if that's still the case with the journeys being overseas.

Also, what proof do you need to provide the HMRC when completing the P87? I have my posting order showing the posting length, I have the HDT on my pay slips. I don't have fuel receipts or anything though.
  • Owen1991
    Owen1991 Posts: 70 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    A heads up to anyone who wants to use rift or forces money...DON'T

Use atkinsandco instead,
    they only charge £90 per year of claims instead of the whopping 25% that rift or forces money charge. It's simple and they're very friendly.
    2021 - £11250 Saved || 2020 - £4750 Saved || 2019 - £4000 Saved || 2018 - £9000 Saved
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure