New car more options?

Grouchy
Grouchy Posts: 439 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
edited 16 August 2014 at 9:46AM in Motoring
Been going aroudn the houses on this for a while but need to make a decision. I've got 11k in my budget to spend, don't want to stray from that. Can pay cash. So looking for 11k OTR. I do about 6-7k miles a year, mixed driving, mostly A road/urban with a few motorway runs per month. Need a fair sized boot and 5 door and a bit of welly for overtaking.
Had settled on a Skoda Fabia as a good start which offers most of what I want, done a couple of test drives but I'm not quite sure it is the car for me? So am looking to test drive similar to compare before decision time. Bells and whistles not too important for me but like clear and easy controls and no fussy twiddly knobs (hate the steering wheel based controls). Don't want anything too tiny so i10 is out I think. Don't think I can afford a Yaris.
I'm thinking as possibles:
Hyundai i20
Honda Jazz
Kia Rio (don't know anything about this car)
Mazda 2 (ditto)

Recommendations welcome.

TIA

Comments

• bigjl
    bigjl Posts: 6,457 Forumite
    Skoda Rapid. Can get them for closer to £9.5k from DrivetheDeal.

Advantage with the Rapid is it is a lot larger than other cars of that price which are usually smallish hatchbacks.

Tbere is also a new Seat Toledo based kn the same platform, not sure but that may be a saloon.

They both come with the 1.2tsi engine i believe which is nippy and economical.

You could also get a well specced Dacia for that budget.
  • Grouchy
    Don't think I'd be comfortable with an internet buy like drivethedeal. Maybe sounds daft but prefer doing business directly with the dealer.

Not that I want either of the Rapid or the Toledo (more saloons I think) I'm after an economical hatch, should have said.

But I'm curious, are the drivethedeal quotes real? I mean the OTR on the Rapid is circa 14K I think and with a discount and a bit of bargaining maybe around 12k I'm guessing. And you're saying 9.5k from drivethedeal for a 1.2 TSI Rapid. And the TSIs are always a premium. Seems a massive discount. Or am I misssing something ...? Be interested to hear the scoop.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Grouchy wrote: »
    Don't think I'd be comfortable with an internet buy like drivethedeal. Maybe sounds daft but prefer doing business directly with the dealer.

Not that I want either of the Rapid or the Toledo (more saloons I think) I'm after an economical hatch, should have said.

But I'm curious, are the drivethedeal quotes real? I mean the OTR on the Rapid is circa 14K I think and with a discount and a bit of bargaining maybe around 12k I'm guessing. And you're saying 9.5k from drivethedeal for a 1.2 TSI Rapid. And the TSIs are always a premium. Seems a massive discount. Or am I misssing something ...? Be interested to hear the scoop.
    With DTD you will be dealing direct with the dealer, and yes the quotes are real. Once you have decided to buy they put you in touch with the dealership that is offering the price quoted, you then deal directly with them I believe.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Both the Fabia and the i20 are being replaced early in 2015 with new models, so there will soon be deals going on the outgoing models.
    Drivethedeal-but you are dealing with the dealer. They simply take a commission from the dealer, to whom you pay your deposit. Your contract is with the dealer, not DTD.
    The only difference is that it could be a dealer anywhere in the UK, rather than your local one.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Grouchy
    Thanks for that input.

Perhaps I'm a bit to safety conscious (old fashioned maybe) but I have never looked into DTD, I shall do that now, thank you for pointing that out.
    I'm wondering, if you 'register' with DTD can you do as many searches on different cars? Or is it where you would register once you'd made your mind up definitely about make and model?

I knew about the Fabia new model/shape coming out early next year but not the i20 thanks for that info also.

Thanks
  • vansboy
    vansboy Posts: 6,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 August 2014 at 11:10PM
    If you're concerned about DTD, search the vehicles you want prices for, make sure you have all options you desire included, then talk to your local dealer to see if they can do a better/similar price.

Did this with a friend and his Kia ended up at about £100 more buying locally. He would have spent more thanthat in inconvenience, buying from another dealer elsewhere in UK

The aforementioned Chevrolet may well appear good value, but as the brand will no longer be marketed in Europe from next year, this may not help residuals or servicing. Although Vauxhall dealers will no doubt cover most issues, if you do buy one.

VB
  • Grouchy
    halka6 wrote: »
    Going with your requirements of a 5 door with a fair sized boot, only two choices come to mind:
    Volvo V50
    Chevrolet Cruze

Both a fairly good to drive, but the Volvo is a bit more expensive to buy and run. The diesel's economical but a bit expensive and not many on the used market yet. Getting a discount on one is fairly hard too.
    However, the Chevrolet Cruze is cheaper to run, and is economical too, the 1.6 petrol or 1.7 diesel are best so I've read. Most Vauxhall dealers can service this too, since they tend to sell Vauxhall and Chevrolet together. You should be able to get a discount on one easily.

The Cruze can be had for well under your 11k budget, and shouldn't be too hard to find. Many tend to be found cheaply on autotrader or motors.co.uk, so do take a look.

Hope this helped.

I'm looking for a brand new car so don't think the Volvo is way out of my price bracket.
    You'd have to pay me to drive off with a Chevy, heard so many terrible things about the ones available in this country plus expensive maintenance and spares. Got a friend who has the compact car, a Matiz? Absolute nightmare!
    Onwards ...
  • Grouchy
    edited 20 August 2014 at 3:11PM
    vansboy wrote: »
    If you're concerned about DTD, search the vehicles you want prices for, make sure you have all options you desire included, then talk to your local dealer to see if they can do a better/similar price.

Did this with a friend and his Kia ended up at about £100 more buying locally. He would have spent more thanthat in inconvenience, buying from another dealer elsewhere in UK

The aforementioned Chevrolet may well appear good value, but as the brand will no longer be marketed in Europe from next year, this may not help residuals or servicing. Although Vauxhall dealers will no doubt cover most issues, if you do buy one.

VB

Thanks
    Did the DTD search thing. Very useful tool. Tried a few models I'm looking for. Price initially looked like a substantial saving but once the addons (extended warranty and breakdown sort of things) added on were not too far from the price i'd got two localish dealers down to. Good tool though and there were the odd car that did give a reasonable saving on.

I'll be using it as a comparison in the future BUT it is worth reading the small print as some of the prices are conditional on taking out some form of loan with sometimes a fairly high APR!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure