Are Ugg boots still fashionable?

I want to make a start on my Christmas shopping and I'm wondering whether Ugg boots are still fashionable now?

I want to get a pair for my daughter in law - I got her some last year and the year before and she was delighted with them. Last year she said it's impossible to have too many pairs of Ugg boots.

She's late 30s but very fashion conscious with a lovely figure and a job she enjoys, so please can someone with a bit of fashion knowledge advise me if getting her another pair this year will be taking the Ugg thing too far?

Thanks

Comments

• OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    zaksmum wrote: »
    I want to make a start on my Christmas shopping and I'm wondering whether Ugg boots are still fashionable now?

I want to get a pair for my daughter in law - I got her some last year and the year before and she was delighted with them. Last year she said it's impossible to have too many pairs of Ugg boots.

She's late 30s but very fashion conscious with a lovely figure and a job she enjoys, so please can someone with a bit of fashion knowledge advise me if getting her another pair this year will be taking the Ugg thing too far?

Thanks

Personally I don't like them, but have seen lots of people (perhaps slightly younger than your SIL) wearing them, so I would say they are still a sought after item.
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Whether they are fashionable or not (and I have no idea) it would be better in my mind, to get her something else this year. Buying the same thing twice smacks of lazyness tbh.
    Just my pence worth.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • sharronej
    sharronej Posts: 578
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'd maybe stick with the Ugg brand but go for another item - the have quite a range of products out now.
  • Any
    Any Posts: 7,944
    Forumite
    Fashionable??
    Well, that is a question of the century..... They are like marmite. People either love them, or they hate them.
    Question is, does your DIL still admires them and wants them? Can't you ask your son?

It is true that Ugg now have much wider range, even my sister has ones, thought you wouldn't know it at first look - they are not that cheap looking carp that every chav wants and destroys by not walking in them properly (or buys fake) but still wears them (and in summer with shorts), they are actually very good quality leather boots that keep you lovely and warm.
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884
    Forumite
    Well the Ugg store near me always has about 5 women peering the window, so I think you're ok! They do seem to have much more variety now as well, some of them you can't even tell they're Uggs.
  • Im 30 and LOVE mine

Wish my MIL would buy me some. Way too expensive though! Your DIL is very lucky!!
    :heart2: Got Married on 30/4/11 :heart2:
    Joined SW 12/7/12...
    -4.5, -3 (1/2 Stone award), STS, -1.5, STS, -2 (SOTW)
  • I would say yes, they're still fashionable.

It's very generous of you to buy her such an expensive present; I'm just wondering though whether two pairs is enough (despite her comment about never having too many) and if it's time to buy her something else. Jo Malone gift set?
  • Lucy1973
    Lucy1973 Posts: 1,224 Forumite
    I would say yes, they're still fashionable.

It's very generous of you to buy her such an expensive present; I'm just wondering though whether two pairs is enough (despite her comment about never having too many) and if it's time to buy her something else. Jo Malone gift set?

Jo Malone stuff is lovely.
    Agree with the others when they say maybe 2 pairs are enough. You can buy Ugg bags now and others accesories like sheepskin gloves,hats and scarfs etc:)
    :happyloveBaby girl born 27/2/12:happylove

:AR.I.P Michael Joseph Jackson. Gone too soon:A
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Person_one wrote: »
    some of them you can't even tell they're Uggs.
    I thought the whole point with uggs, is that you have a brand name and you can go "look I've got Uggs!"

Not that I understand that whole name/brand thing, but I know alot of people do.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    My 'Uggs' are from Celtic Sheepskin. Cheaper and made in the UK.

OP - unless she has said she wants another pair I'd probably get something else. I'm not sure I'd have a use for two pairs. I actually find mine so warm I can only wear them when it is freezing as they make me overheat otherwise!
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure