Travel To Ireland - Do You Need A Passport?

Comments

• dzug
    dzug Posts: 2,260 Forumite
    It will not be a problem on entry.

If it is a problem (very unlikely) it will be boarding the ferry.

Ask the ferry company what their policy is. Certainly most airlines don't require an ID from a child accompanying an adult
  • Lolo79
    Lolo79 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Hi there, my partner also needs to travel to Ireland and his passport has run out so I have just rang BMI to ask them as that is who he is flying with and they say that any government ID will do i.e drivers licence or bus pass etc. Also I travelled about 9 months ago to Ireland with Aer Lingus with only a train pass (with photo obviously) .

I hope this has helped you.

Lois
  • omelette451
    omelette451 Posts: 1,900 Forumite
    If you fly into Dublin airport you will go through immigration but if you show both proof that you're British/Irish and proof that you've just arrived from the UK (i.e your boarding pass) you will be allowed through with no problems. If you're not British or Irish you will need a full passport. If you're flying with Ryanair and checking in online you must have a passport; if you check in at the airport a driving licence is ok.
  • omelette451
    Lolo79 wrote: »
    Hi there, my partner also needs to travel to Ireland and his passport has run out so I have just rang BMI to ask them as that is who he is flying with and they say that any government ID will do i.e drivers licence or bus pass etc.

His expired passport will be ok too.
  • Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    His expired passport will be ok too.
    An expired passport may be ok for immigration but the problem might come with getting Ryanair to accept it. Assuming that the person might be travelling with Ryanair.
  • apt
    apt Posts: 3,188 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ryanair does not accept expired passports. It will accept driving licences with photos, but only until 30 September.

For British and Irish citizens who are travelling on flights to/from the United Kingdom, to/from the Republic of Ireland (Common Travel Area), a valid driving licence with photo is acceptable photo ID. Passengers who are citizens of other countries travelling on these routes must present a valid passport (with visa if applicable) or a National Identity Card issued either by the government of a European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland.FROM THE 1ST OCTOBER 2009 ONWARDS DRIVING LICENCES WILL NO LONGER BE ACCEPTABLE PHOTO-ID ON RYANAIR FLIGHTS.

Can't help thinking that O'Leary has missed a trick here. Perhaps he should accept driving licences, but only on payment of an additional fee!
  • omelette451
    apt wrote: »
    Ryanair does not accept expired passports. It will accept driving licences with photos, but only until 30 September.

...and ONLY if checking in at the airport (see above posts).
    For British and Irish citizens who are travelling on flights to/from the United Kingdom, to/from the Republic of Ireland (Common Travel Area), a valid driving licence with photo is acceptable photo ID.
    ...and only if presented in conjunction with proof (e.g. boarding pass) that the flight originated in the UK.
  • Loretta
    Loretta Posts: 1,101 Forumite
    My OH has just renewed his passport, last week, and it only took 5 days, maybe worth a go. I think that you an go to the passport office and if you are straightforward and just want to renew you can do it in a day. He did pay extra. about £7, for the post office to check it first and well worth it as it is easy to get it wrong ie your signature touching the lines, must use black ink etc they are very fussy
    Loretta
  • omelette451
    Loretta wrote: »
    He did pay extra. about £7, for the post office to check it first and well worth it as it is easy to get it wrong ie your signature touching the lines, must use black ink etc they are very fussy

If you can read, this service is completely unnecessary. The instructions are actually very clear, and if you're generally a wits-about-you person it's best to follow the MSE route and not pay the extra fee. IMO, of course ;)
  • lellie wrote: »
    However usually if you're flying you will need a passport - otherwise a driving license is fine.

Not true in the slightest. Many carriers will accept (as others have said) some sort of photo ID, however, the CTA provisions only apply to UK and Irish citizens.

Having said all this, last time I was in Dublin, they looked at me and went "British?". I went "no, Polish"...and was waved through with a smile.
    From Poland...with love.

They are (they're)
    sitting on the floor.
    Their
    books are lying on the floor.
    The books are sitting just there on the floor.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure