Best Breakdown Cover

13»

Comments

• Just got my AA renewal (for two people) £188 (to be fair we had two call outs last year, one a false alarm and one genuine breakdown that was repaired at the holiday camp we were staying on saving the rest of our holiday). Had a quick look at GEM. Any hidden nasties in their policy compared with the straightforward AA one?

Also Rescuemycar is ridiculously cheap, there's got to be a catch?
  • Do ADAC have a UK phone number? Cant work out which is which on their site as I don't speak German :-(
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    No UK office afaik. You have to phone the German numbers such as 004994152344, they do speak very good English apparently.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    neilmcl wrote: »
    No UK office afaik. You have to phone the German numbers such as 004994152344, they do speak very good English apparently.
    The most German you need is "Sprechen sie Englisch?" - which is usually met with "Yes, of course" or - at absolute worst - "I'm very sorry, but no, so please hold and I will transfer you to my colleague who does."...

They're also quite happy to call you back.

In the UK, the AA are sent out - I've needed them twice here, and both times they've been with me within the hour.
  • Thanks for all your thoughts. I think I will go with GEM as it works out at £108 per year for 2 of us. I just need to phone and make sure this covers any vehicle you are driving as we have 2 cars and one is over 10 years old
  • EdGasket
    EdGasket Posts: 3,503 Forumite
    AdrianC wrote: »
    The most German you need is "Sprechen sie Englisch?"

They're also quite happy to call you back.

"Achtung Englander!"
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I use axa, I have only had to call them once so far and I had to wait forty five minutes, not bad considering I was in the !!!! end of nowhere.
  • I rang the AA today and told them that I was leaving after 15 years membership as I could get cover for more than half the price elsewhere. We bartered and reached an agreement of £150 to include key cover too. A 10 minute phone call saved me over £100
    :j
  • wallace7 wrote: »
    I have just had my AA breakdown cover renewal in the post today. I have been with them for 15 years and they want £250!! Its home cover, relay. roadside assistance and £45 extra because my partner is on the policy too. But I think its very expensive. If I ring and haggle they will probably drop it a few quid, they did last year by about £60 but said that was a one off and they wouldn't do it again for me !
    I just wondered how much others pay and if anyone can recommend another company as I really need this to be cheaper but dont really want to compromise on the cover.
    Thanks

I was in a similar position a couple of years ago when the breakdown cover was due for renewal on one of our family vehicles.

After failed negotiation with the AA, I decided to opt for 3-Star cover from StartRescue.co.uk.

I’ve been with them ever since.

With my particular policy the car itself is covered regardless of who is driving but they do ‘personal’ cover as well.

Their 3-Star cover (£28.79) gives me the following;

• Roadside Assistance
    • Nationwide Recovery
    • Home Start
    • Accident Recovery
    • Alternative Transport
    • Overnight Accommodation
    • Key Assist
    • Message Assist & Free Legal Expenses Policy

The policy is a ‘decent fit’ for the family vehicle in question and meets our particular requirements, and at £28.79 p.a. appears to be excellent value. They have different charge bands depending on the age of the car.

‘StartRescue’ comes highly recommended from many quarters but whether it really is good value for money remains to be seen; however, on a personal level, that’s something I would rather not find out! :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure