Failed MOT Ford KA

13»

Comments

• taxiphil
    taxiphil Posts: 1,980 Forumite
    If you choose to bite the bullet by scrapping it, and can stretch to the £2k price bracket for a new car, there are some peaches out there if you're prepared to scour AutoTrader/eBay/Gumtree for at least a week, know how to avoid the pitfalls, and are prepared to travel 50+ miles by train to collect the car.

The process is a hard exhausting slog, but can pay off.

You're in the classic dilemma of "scrap or repair" - there is no easy answer as nobody can predict how long your Ka, or the car you might replace it with, will last. Whatever decision you make, be philosophical if it goes wrong, knowing that your losses in the bangernomics price bracket are always going to be minimal.
  • mcjordi
    mcjordi Posts: 4,238 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    at that age of KA im surprised it hasnt crumbled away.. no back street mechanics/welders about to weld it for a night out?
    in the 2002 KA its probably the old endura engine -pretty much bomb proof,
    Sealed pot challenger # 10
    1v100 £15/300
  • Repair and get at least another year out of it. I've just spent near £200 on fixing my 2001 Megane exhaust. MOT is due in March and I'm sure it'll need something spent then too.

Better the devil you know as you could end up spending £500-£1K on a new car and still require more spending in a year's time.
  • Dan83
    Dan83 Posts: 672 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Maybe start taking better care of your car, the mot is a minimum standard, if you can't look after a vehicle to the minimum standard then you shouldn't be allowed to own a vehicle.
  • Rain_Shadow
    Rain_Shadow Posts: 1,798 Forumite
    Dan83 wrote: »
    Maybe start taking better care of your car, the mot is a minimum standard, if you can't look after a vehicle to the minimum standard then you shouldn't be allowed to own a vehicle.

So, everyone whose car fails an MOT should lose their licence?
    You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose but you can't pick your friend's nose.
  • mcjordi
    mcjordi Posts: 4,238 Forumite
    Dan83 wrote: »

the KA is well known for rot.. no matter how well you look after it it will and does rust and rot quite bad..

also advisories are just that..
    Sealed pot challenger # 10
    1v100 £15/300
  • s_b
    s_b Posts: 4,463 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    taxiphil wrote: »
    If you choose to bite the bullet by scrapping it, and can stretch to the £2k price bracket for a new car, there are some peaches out there if you're prepared to scour AutoTrader/eBay/Gumtree for at least a week, know how to avoid the pitfalls, and are prepared to travel 50+ miles by train to collect the car.

The process is a hard exhausting slog, but can pay off.

You're in the classic dilemma of "scrap or repair" - there is no easy answer as nobody can predict how long your Ka, or the car you might replace it with, will last. Whatever decision you make, be philosophical if it goes wrong, knowing that your losses in the bangernomics price bracket are always going to be minimal.

unfortunately you have fallen into a very specific pit here, let me explain
    i have four cars for sale near your figure and plenty above that budget wont stretch to, my cars are 1499 one at 1699 one at 1799 and one at 1999,miss pips comes along and having saved up 2 gees she wants to spend it all in the presumption more is better, so will only look at the 1999 car,its madness, but true and the thing is the 1999 car is a dog so i priced it at that to sell it and the 1499 car is a peach but im fighting 3 other traders within 5 miles of my pitch who are underselling theirs
  • jeallen01
    jeallen01 Posts: 192 Forumite
    Earlier today I saw another Ka that will fail its MoT - wrapped around a rather substantial lamp-post! A real "Ka-rash" :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure