Halifax Bank

ok, i had some loose change and bagged them up into money bags.

i had around £8 in 20p pieces, 90p in pennys, 1.50 in 10's, 90p in twos and 4.00 in 5p's. i put them all into seperate bags.

Anyhow this dumb bank would not let me deposit them just because they were not like £10 in twentys, 1 pound in ones or twos and £5 in 5p's.

How pathetic is that?. Its not like they had to sort them or count them, they have scales for that.

They should have hoppers they can put coins in and bag them up themselves when they have certain amounts.

Seems they dont want your money unless it suits them.

Comments

• opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    damnjet wrote: »

i had around £8 in 20p pieces, 90p in pennys, 1.50 in 10's, 90p in twos and 4.00 in 5p's. i put them all into seperate bags.
    Did you notice the acceptable denominations printed on the side of the bag?

Did it cross your mind that they are there for a reason?
    Anyhow this dumb bank would not let me deposit them just because they were not like £10 in twentys, 1 pound in ones or twos and £5 in 5p's.

How pathetic is that?. Its not like they had to sort them or count them, they have scales for that.
    Although the change does have to be checked if the till passes from one staff member to another. And when full bags of change are achieved they have to be verified by two staff before being taken away by a security company.
    They should have hoppers they can put coins in and bag them up themselves when they have certain amounts.

You're right. They don't want change. They've never wanted change. I've never wanted the so and so in front of me in the queue to pay in lots of change, bagged or otherwise.

How much business value do you think your few coins has to them? How much profit can they make out of them? How much staff time has to be wasted managing your coin?

While you have it in your head that banks are there to take your loose change, the reality is that they don't want to and don't have to.
  • Gromitt
    Gromitt Posts: 5,063 Forumite
    Correct, banks hate change, and some have a limited amount of storage for it and refuse any more than their storage limit, regardless of how you bag it.

You can use those coinmaster machines, but they'll take a percentage for handling the change.

Some stores of Morrisons have hoppers which accept loose change. They can be perfect as you can throw all your change in and pay for your shopping.

Or you can open an account with HSBC and use the coin counting machines in branch.

Personally, I prefer to try and spend my change - its less hassle all round.
  • shrewsaver
    shrewsaver Posts: 155 Forumite
    opinions4u wrote: »
    Did you notice the acceptable denominations printed on the side of the bag?

Did it cross your mind that they are there for a reason?

That is not strictly true, it is there as a guide. If the bag was overfilled/ mixed then I can understand why they would have rejected it but not as the OP has described.
    Save £12K IN 2013 Member #217 £3654.88/£6,000 (60%)
    Shares: £273.36 (Bought £494.14) £220.78
    SIPP: £5,366.63 (Bought £5,429.44) £503
    S&S ISA: £11,560.70 (Bought £10,537.58) £1,023.12
  • damnjet
    damnjet Posts: 89 Forumite
    shrewsaver wrote: »
    That is not strictly true, it is there as a guide. If the bag was overfilled/ mixed then I can understand why they would have rejected it but not as the OP has described.

Indeed i have deposited the required bags amounts before but never anticipated there being a problem just because the coins did not reach the bags set target.

Why could they not have just filled there cash boxes or kept the bags until somebody else came in with odd amounts.

Pure lazyness and shoddy service. Sums up all of todays banks.

Its funny the same bank were giving sweets out the other day with a performance sheet next to each teller. When offered a sweet i asked if they were sugar free as i am diabetic, they did not even consider that.
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    When offered a sweet i asked if they were sugar free as i am diabetic, they did not even consider that.
    Perhaps they should ask all customers to fill in a medical questionnaire before serving them.

Really, if you're not getting the service you want ...
  • tuggy12
    tuggy12 Posts: 1,314
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite

If I were you, I would never,ever, go into a bank again and I'd take my £15 in loose change elsewhere.

That'll teach 'em !!
  • damnjet
    tuggy12 wrote: »
    If I were you, I would never,ever, go into a bank again and I'd take my £15 in loose change elsewhere.

That'll teach 'em !!

AH the irony how people assume you dont have two brass buttons to rub together just because your hauling some change about.

Never mind the lack of service you get.
    opinions4u wrote: »
    Perhaps they should ask all customers to fill in a medical questionnaire before serving them.

Really, if you're not getting the service you want ...

Why not there happy to ask questions regarding customer diversity
  • Hominu
    Hominu Posts: 1,671 Forumite
    Its funny the same bank were giving sweets out the other day with a performance sheet next to each teller. When offered a sweet i asked if they were sugar free as i am diabetic, they did not even consider that.

I'm a diabetic, I take free sweets. They don't didn't kill me or cause me major concern. That said, my diet never changed when I was told I was a diabetic, I just cut down on the amount of sugar I consume so ensure it doesn't reach dangerous levels. In fact, I remember talking about it with my doctor and he said that cutting out sugar was the worst thing I could do.
  • damnjet
    Hominu wrote: »
    I'm a diabetic, I take free sweets. They don't didn't kill me or cause me major concern. That said, my diet never changed when I was told I was a diabetic, I just cut down on the amount of sugar I consume so ensure it doesn't reach dangerous levels. In fact, I remember talking about it with my doctor and he said that cutting out sugar was the worst thing I could do.

Slightly of topic but anyhow

You probably got fat persons diabetes that will go when you lose the weight. Pregnant mares also get it.

Insulin dependant diabetics need to maintain good control or run the risk of blindness, amputations, heart attacks, strokes ect.

Still go eat another sweet and knock 20yrs of your life
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Forumite
    shrewsaver wrote: »

The thing is, they only have weights on the scales for the denominations on the bags.

If the bag specifies, for example, £1 in 1p pieces and there's only 90p it has to be counted by hand, which takes time.
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family