PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Think I'm being played like a fiddle...

Options
Hi guys my partner and I have just put an offer in of 129000 for a house valued at 135000 at our brokers suggestion. This was to give us plenty of room to go closer to the asking price. The selling estate agent called an hour later to say the sellers have decided to put it to an early close this friday at 3pm in order to give all parties a fair chance. They then went on to tell me a couple had viewed at the weekend and expressed interest but haven't been contactable since and thats the only other interested party! My broker thinks they are coming it to scare me into upping my offer. Anybody got any similar experiences? We really don't want to miss out on the house but don't want to jump 6000 if nobody else is actually interested!

Comments

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    You realise this is all rubbish yes?

Until you exchange contracts (in 3-5 months) either party can change their offer, accept new offers or simply withdraw
  • dares_uk
    dares_uk Posts: 65 Forumite
    Options
    tll the EA that's obviously the other people are not interested if they have not put an offer in and are not contactable. What is the answer on your offer now ?
    Have they confirmed your offer in writing to you ?
    EA are a pain in the !!!!.

or you could go back and ask them to up your offer to 130k, but you want an answer, if the answer is no ask them to counter an offer they would accept, as you want to get moving... :)
  • crae1710
    crae1710 Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options

It was a verbal telephone offer. They didn't say it was refused as such just told me to put my final offer in writing and it would be a sealed bid until 3 on friday to give this other party a chance to show interest? Seems very strange to assumr they are going to make an offer if they've not been in contact since the viewing or even asked to look at the home report! Also they are refusing to take offers before the 3pm deadline on Friday as I asked if I increased my offer now would it make a difference.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,501 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Are you in Scotland?
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • crae1710
    Options
    Yes we are in Scotland Taff
  • jennifernil
    jennifernil Posts: 5,580 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A closing date and sealed bids is common, you have no way of knowing whether this other couple are interested,but your solicitor may be able to find out if anyone else has registered an interest.

Failing this, submit an offer for what you are willing to pay, and hope for the best.

I would however think that it would only normally go to a closing date if there are several interested parties. However, the vendors may just be trying it on.

Good luck!
  • bevvy
    bevvy Posts: 451 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We've just been through this, we originally made a offer but as there had been 1 other note of interest (before we noted our interest) this was put to closing date, I wasn't convinced the other party would be offering as I don't believe they had been back to view, made offer etc but the way I seen it we could afford to make a higher offer and did I want to risk losing the house for the sake of a couple of thousand, the day before closing there was another 4 notes of interest! we upped our offer to an amount we were happy with, if we didn't get house then it wasn't meant to be but at least we knew we had put in our best price, ended up getting house, maybe we were the only bidders and could have got it with our first lower bid but then again maybe it was the higher bid that won us it, we'll never know and I don't care now, was happy with the price we paid but I would have been gutted if we lost out to someone who had offered just over our original lower bid and we knew we could have offered more.
    Depends how much you want the house and how much you can afford, I'd say go with your best bid your happy with, good luck
  • 3mph
    3mph Posts: 247 Forumite
    Options
    bevvy sums it up well.
    There is no correct price, just what you are happy to pay.
    Doesn't matter whether that is above or below the "market value" whatever that is.
    You have to live with what you paid and got or what you offered and lost.
  • GingerFurball_2
    Options
    With a closing date there's no point second guessing yourself - just put in your best offer and keep your fingers crossed!
    DEBT FREE!

Debt free by Xmas 2014: £3555.67/£4805.67 (73.99%)
    Debt free by Xmas 2015: £1250/£1250 (100.00%)
  • crae1710
    Options
    Thanks guys. Think we are going to offer the asking price and hope for the best.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure