Has my car had it?

goatfertility
goatfertility Posts: 42 Forumite
edited 25 March 2017 at 2:41PM in Motoring
I'm not sure what to do about my car so I'm looking for some second opinion.

I've had it from new. It's a 2006 Ford Focus Diesel with 125k clocked up. It feels like it's basically dying on me slowly and I'm questioning whether or not it's time move on.

There's no way it will pass it's next MoT. Here's the litany of issues right now.

The switch to go between dipped and high beams is shot. The contacts on the switch are faulty and the whole stalk is usually replaced - £100+

There's an intermittent metallic 'jingling' sound that you can hear whilst driving it. It's not clear where it's coming from. It's quite faint but you can hear it at speed especially when taking a bend.

It pulls to the right, big time. The wheel needs to be at an angle to go straight.

Electrical gremlins. The wipers don't come on any more, unless you hit the left indicator. That gets them on. The headlights also have a mind of their own, and are now stuck on.

It's a shame because the car is amazingly efficient and tax is only £35 per year. The belts are also over due. And the clutch will likely give out, too (although it's not showing any issues at present)

For the same price as getting all this fixed, I can't help but think I could just get another car of it's vintage for the same price.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• gardner1
    gardner1 Posts: 3,154 Forumite
    Has it got full /regular service record......If no...Get shot
  • agree unless you can fix these issues yourself, they are going to be expensive... Time to let go
  • Nodding_Donkey
    Nodding_Donkey Posts: 2,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I hope you're not driving this heap on the road.
  • interstellaflyer
    interstellaflyer Posts: 2,053 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 March 2017 at 8:40AM
    given the fact that your main beam/dip beam stalk is faulty, your other electrical gremlins could be related to that Ebay is your friend and replace them yourself.

Pulling to the right, assuming it's not under braking could just mean the tracking is out.

Providing the clutch hasn't been abused ie riding the clutch, wheel spinning etc they should go on for well over 100,000 miles

The slight mettalic noise could be anything, even something as simple as a loose heatsheild.

The rest and probably some of the faults mentioned are down to poor maintenance, especially if the belts are overdue.

That said, I see no point in getting rid only to by another car of similar vintage, you know this car, you've had it from new, you could easily end up with with another crock of poo that will need a lot of money spending on it in a year or so
    I hate football and do wish people wouldn't keep talking about it like it's the most important thing in the world
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 20 March 2017 at 10:02AM
    The car needs maintenance and repairs. Find out what it will cost to fix the faults and change the belts.

How long has it been pulling to the right? Front wheel tracking is about £30.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,984 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I hope you're not driving this heap on the road.
    Quite. Driving around with faulty headlights and wipers that only come on when you indicate is irresponsible. The next MoT may be a while away but OP has a responsibility to ensure the car's safe and roadworthy all year round, not just on the day of the test.

In summary, stop driving it and get rid.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I've had it from new.
    Whatever you get to replace it will suffer from similar maladies unless your attitude to maintenance changes drastically.
  • Shaka_Zulu
    Shaka_Zulu Posts: 1,689 Forumite
    It sounds as if the majority of issues are related to the electrics attached around the steering column.

That might not be too tricky and worth pricing I imagine it comes as one unit (Renault expert will know) but will need steering wheel off, air bag disarmed etc.

It might not be as bad as you think. Go and find out and ask for a pre MOT check add it all up and then decide.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    edited 20 March 2017 at 11:15AM
    Seems odd that the indicator would control the wipers, given that they should be on opposite stalks....... It sounds to me like somebody has been messing with it.

OP you don't mention when these faults first started to appear, if you'd addressed them before they became a real issue, you wouldn't be in the position your in now.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Strider590 wrote: »
    Seems odd that the indicator would control the wipers, given that they should be on opposite stalks....... It sounds to me like somebody has been messing with it.
    Multiplexing...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport