PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How to market house

I'm having to relocate for a new job, so our house is on the market.

Its been on the market for a month, with a 4 or five viewings in the first 2 weeks then nothing for the last two.

The house has a couple of issues that we cant do anything about, its close to an airport (though not really affected by the noise) and on an unadopted road.

My plans are to move in april, clear out the house into storage and stay with family for the first few months of the new job, then rent/buy depending on if the house has sold.

I need to redo the photos as the current ones arent brilliant and
Once I've cleared out the house I was going to repaint quite a few of the rooms (they do need it)

My main question is, is it better to clear out all the furniture, paint then have the photos done of a completely unfurnished house, or should I declutter, paint, and leave furniture in situe for the photos, to sort of show it as a home?

Any advice welcome

Comments

• chelseablue
    chelseablue Posts: 3,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Where abouts is the house? Do you have a Rightmove link you can post here?
  • Surrey_EA
    Surrey_EA Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I would normally advise leaving a house furnished as much as possible.

There is also often little point in decorating, especially if you're not getting very many viewings. You need to get prospective buyers through the front door first.

As chelsea suggest, post a link up and you will no doubt receive a few suggestions.
  • c00lbeans
    c00lbeans Posts: 46 Forumite
    Sorry, failed to post link

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-64616405.html

its been significantly decluttered since these photos and the gardens been tidied (bathroom sealants also been demoulded)
  • Surrey_EA
    Given it is possible to find out what you bought the property for less than 4 years ago, has the market really gone up by that amount?

It would also seem that the property did not sell tremendously quickly last time around, as it first went up for sale in April 2012, and the sale did not complete until July 2013.

It is difficult to be certain, as I am not familiar with the market conditions in your area, but maybe the price you are asking is proving to be too optimistic.
  • I'm not that far away!
    The market here has risen but as you've said the flight path will put people off.

Personally and please don't take any offence to this
    Declutter pic 7 room
    Clean tiling /bath in pic 13
    Room in pic 17 looks small with all the furniture

All the bathroom products on window ledges... In the range in Southend you can get stick on bath tidies that will adhere to tiles and make the bathrooms look like there isn't a storage problem

The outside is very grey at the front, maybe a plant pot either side with colourful bedding plants?
  • Oh and to add if I could afford a place like that I'd buy it but unfortunately miles over what I could afford!
  • c00lbeans
    Surrey_EA wrote: »
    Given it is possible to find out what you bought the property for less than 4 years ago, has the market really gone up by that amount?

It would also seem that the property did not sell tremendously quickly last time around, as it first went up for sale in April 2012, and the sale did not complete until July 2013.

It is difficult to be certain, as I am not familiar with the market conditions in your area, but maybe the price you are asking is proving to be too optimistic.

I thought the EA was being a tad optimistic, that said similar 3-4 bed semis and detached houses have sold for 300-320K recently, the area has experienced a fairly large surge in prices over the last few years.

I think we'll look at reducing the price over the easter holidays.

We're the reason for about 8 months of delay in the previous selling, as we made an offer on it in november 2012, then our house sale fell through and the vendors were happy to wait for us to reestablish the chain.
  • c00lbeans
    I'm not that far away!
    The market here has risen but as you've said the flight path will put people off.

Personally and please don't take any offence to this
    Declutter pic 7 room
    Clean tiling /bath in pic 13
    Room in pic 17 looks small with all the furniture

All the bathroom products on window ledges... In the range in Southend you can get stick on bath tidies that will adhere to tiles and make the bathrooms look like there isn't a storage problem

The outside is very grey at the front, maybe a plant pot either side with colourful bedding plants?

Thanks for the advice, we've cleaned and resealed the bath in Pic 13 and done a lot of decluttering, Room 17 is waiting for my storage to become available before we takeaway all the furniture.

We'll be arranging new pics shortly.

Good idea about the front!
  • Surrey_EA
    c00lbeans wrote: »
    I thought the EA was being a tad optimistic, that said similar 3-4 bed semis and detached houses have sold for 300-320K recently, the area has experienced a fairly large surge in prices over the last few years.

I think we'll look at reducing the price over the easter holidays.

We're the reason for about 8 months of delay in the previous selling, as we made an offer on it in november 2012, then our house sale fell through and the vendors were happy to wait for us to reestablish the chain.

Perhaps the price is not a million miles out then.

If you've done some de-cluttering and tidying up, then get some new photos done ASAP. The previous photos from when you bought were much better!
  • May not help I've been watching Phil Spencer secret agent most weekends!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure