DWP reserve list ??? Confused

Hi I applied for a job with Dwp and following interview received this email

- You’ve reached the required standard but we’re unable to offer you a job immediately.
We`ve placed you on a reserve list from which future appointments may be made. -

Slightly confused I'm on a reserve list for 12 months and think maybe I should just take this as a reject or not, my question is, has anyone got experience of being on a reserve list and if so how long was they on the list for? Is there any way I can find out my position on this list?

Many thanks x

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    It's not a rejection as such. As the letter says, they have basically had too many people who reached the required standard. To avoid DWP having to start the whole recruitment process again in a few months time they keep additional prospects on the 'reserve list'. I have known people be offered jobs from the reserve list but it's impossible to say how long it might be before an offer came along.
    I certainly wouldn't stop looking for employment on the basis of being on the reserve list.
  • G212121
    G212121 Posts: 8 Forumite
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    It's not a rejection as such. As the letter says, they have basically had too many people who reached the required standard. To avoid DWP having to start the whole recruitment process again in a few months time they keep additional prospects on the 'reserve list'. I have known people be offered jobs from the reserve list but it's impossible to say how long it might be before an offer came along.
    I certainly wouldn't stop looking for employment on the basis of being on the reserve list.

Thank you for replying. Just have to sit back and wait now I guess hopefully will be posted
  • G212121
    G212121 Posts: 8 Forumite
    CG2016 wrote: »
    Well done! I have an interview with them coming up and im so nervous!
    What did they ask you? Was it difficult?

Congrats on passing the interview stage and I hope you get placed somewhere soon :)

Thank you and good luck with your interview, don't be nervous I know it's harder said than done lol I was very nervous but the interviewers made me feel very at ease. The interview was a lot easier the past interviews I've had, just make sure you prepare your answers as they expect you to use the STAR approach.

The questions they asked me were based around for compentencies, How you worked at pace
    When you produced quality work as a team
    When you had to make a difficult decsion
    What you did to reach a deadline

I applied for an AO role what role have you Gone for ?
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,388 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    CG2016 wrote: »
    I'm so glad to hear they were nice, that makes a huge difference. Iv been working on answers using the STAR approach and it sounds so weird when I say them out loud.

I applied for an EO position in London, I'm thinking our competencies are slightly different but I'm still going to work on answers to the questions you got asked just in case!

Keep us updated if you hear back from them and I'll let you know how I get on!

Don't waste your effort, concentrate on the competencies you were asked about in your application, that is all they will ask you about.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • G212121 wrote: »
    Hi I applied for a job with Dwp and following interview received this email

- You’ve reached the required standard but we’re unable to offer you a job immediately.
    We`ve placed you on a reserve list from which future appointments may be made. -

Slightly confused I'm on a reserve list for 12 months and think maybe I should just take this as a reject or not, my question is, has anyone got experience of being on a reserve list and if so how long was they on the list for? Is there any way I can find out my position on this list?

Many thanks x

Firstly, well done for passing your interview. Being put on the reserve list is disappointing, but at least you didn't receive a rejection.

Did you have to give them a list of location preferences? If you did and there are no positions available at any of your choices, you will automatically be put on the reserve list.

Due to everyone being listed in order of merit, it could be that all the positions have been given to applicants who may have received a higher score. You should check the "feedback" section for your application on Civil Service Jobs. This way, you can see how you scored for each competency (there will usually be comments as well) and it might give you an indication of whether being put on the reserve list is due to a location issue (no available jobs) or your score.
  • Hi all,

I recently applied for a Work Coach position with DWP.
    Received interview invitation and had interview on 24th Feb 2017.
    Heard back today I am on the reserve list.
    My competency feedback scores from interview are as follows : 6,7,7,7.
    The reserve list is for 6 months.

Chances that somebody scored higher than me or that there are no positions right now ?

I know with the Universal Credit reforms coming in, they will be having a reshuffle towards the end of the year.

Thanks in advance.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    kelleyb77 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Chances that somebody scored higher than me or that there are no positions right now ?

I know with the Universal Credit reforms coming in, they will be having a reshuffle towards the end of the year.

Thanks in advance.

As for your question, Im afraid we have no idea if anyone scored higher than yourself, its possible though. Same with available positions, just keep an eye out for any positions and apply.
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,692 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Hi all,

Thanks in advance.

They are excellent scores, being as it's scored out of 7.
  • goldsounds
    goldsounds Posts: 24 Forumite
    Hi all,

Thanks in advance.

You scored higher than me. I scored 21 in total and was on reserve list for 6 weeks before being offered WC post.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    It's impossible to say how long you may be on the reserve list. It depends on demand in your area, and that can vary greatly. For example, staff where I worked have recently been informed that the office will close in the next couple of years. As a result many of the younger staff are looking to leave a.s.a.p. That may create short term vacancies, but it's more likely that management will simply work existing staff to a standstill!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure