Have been suspended from work

Hi as the name suggests I have done a stupid thing, I have been suspended from work today as a Support Worker. A few months ago and on a couple of occasions I borrowed some money from one of the customers I support, I have every intention of repaying but to be fair had forgotten about it because I have since moved house and had other things to deal with. The customer has told her brother who has reported me so resulting in my suspension. This only happened this morning and when I attended the meeting to be told I was being suspended, I denied it because I was in shock and didn't know what I was thinking. My work has asked me to put a statement together and get it to them within the next couple of days, I am now thinking clearly and know I should admit it. I am in a union but only joined recently, their website says you have to be with them 4 weeks before they can help, the first payment isn't due to them until 1st September so don't think I will qualify for their help. Am I best to send an e-mail confessing all and tender my resignation to save them the time and hassle of an investigation/disciplinary procedure? I don't want to lose my job but know this will result in being dismissed for gross misconduct, surely it will be easier for me to find other employment if I have resigned as opposed to being dismissed.

Comments

• Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    You might be better of posting this on the employment thread. You know you've done a REALLY stupid thing - have you got a union?

What EXACTLY did your client say to her brother?
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • Thanks, yeah I have posted it in there as well. Technically I am in a union. Not sure what the customer said to her brother exactly
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 August 2012 at 3:02PM
    Then contact your union Immediately.

What you also need to do is fess up - no point denying it - tell them you panicked at first BUT get your Union's advice on this rather than mine.

Also if you client admits it was a loan that helps; even better if she offered rather than being asked.

Write down what happened to the best of your recollection and when. And write down just how, and when you plan to repay this loan so that you have something to show at the meeting.

Do your employers have and policies re the handling of clients monies? If so were you aware of them prior to this?

How long have you worked for them? Other than this were you a model employee? You need to find some 'positives' to use in your defence.

Never ever refer to it as anything other than a loan which you fully intend to repay. Your decision to accept the loan was, I presume, an error of judgement.
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    Resigning is effectively admission of guilt. Any reference would probably say 'Resigned while suspended for investigation of disciplinary matter'.

Get the money paid back in some provable way immediately. Take advice from the union and seek a negotiated resolution which may involve resignation as part of the deal. But don't just resign.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • HB58
    HB58 Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    OP said that they do not have access to union help yet as the first membership payment has not been made.
  • CAB_Malvern_Hills_representative
    CAB_Malvern_Hills_representative Posts: 153 Organisation Representative
    Hi as the name suggests I have done a stupid thing, I have been suspended from work today as a Support Worker. A few months ago and on a couple of occasions I borrowed some money from one of the customers I support, I have every intention of repaying but to be fair had forgotten about it because I have since moved house and had other things to deal with. The customer has told her brother who has reported me so resulting in my suspension. This only happened this morning and when I attended the meeting to be told I was being suspended, I denied it because I was in shock and didn't know what I was thinking. My work has asked me to put a statement together and get it to them within the next couple of days, I am now thinking clearly and know I should admit it. I am in a union but only joined recently, their website says you have to be with them 4 weeks before they can help, the first payment isn't due to them until 1st September so don't think I will qualify for their help. Am I best to send an e-mail confessing all and tender my resignation to save them the time and hassle of an investigation/disciplinary procedure? I don't want to lose my job but know this will result in being dismissed for gross misconduct, surely it will be easier for me to find other employment if I have resigned as opposed to being dismissed.

Hi

You do not say how long you have been in this employment. You say that you feel sure that you will be dismissed for gross misconduct - presumably you have a contract and staff handbook/summary of terms and conditions which details the disciplinary procedure and may give examples of what could constitute gross misconduct.

As a general principal it is rarely a good option to resign, although you feel that the outcome of dismissal is inevitable. Your employer should go through a proper disciplinary process - suspension, interview, decision and right to appeal.

Despite what you say about not expecting any assistance from your union we would suggest that you contact them.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure