PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing - Tips and Quick Questions thread

vizcacha
vizcacha Posts: 362 Forumite
edited 26 August 2011 at 10:47AM in Old style MoneySaving
Added by Gingham Ribbon:

We get a lot of quickfire questions about freezing, like this one, and I thought it would be a good idea to try to keep them all on one thread. So I've amended the name of this thread and any quick questions about freezing can be added to this one.

You may find that you don't even need to ask. See:-
The Complete Cooking Collection and then scroll down to "freezing" - it covers lots of different foods.

Thanks.
Is it ok to freeze baked beans? :confused:

Is it also ok to freeze curry sauce ?

In addition to this - is it ok to use plastic freezer bags for runny stuff like this - as I don't have the space for boxes

Sorry if this has been covered anywhere else but I'm not too sure what is ok to freeze and isn't :o

many thanks :D
squeaky wrote:

RE-FREEZING - by far the most common question these days is "Can I refreeze...???"

alphabet13.gifalphabet14.gif If you have defrosted something but want to freeze it again straight away (or after not using it all up) then refreezing is not advised.

alphabet24.gifalphabet4.gifalphabet18.gif If you have "changed the state" of the product concerned. i.e. you have cooked it in a soup/pie/curry/roast/whatever... then yes, you can safely freeze it.

Note that if you have made and frozen some soup from a previously frozen product (for example) and defrost this... then refreezing any leftover soup is not advised.

TIP:- When freezing things, if it is at all possible (and sensible) divide it into portions first. That way you should seldom have "leftover" defrosted "stuff" that you now have to find something to do with.

Comments

• Mariel
    Mariel Posts: 624 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yes to all of the above - I've never had any problems anyway.
  • mags50_2
    mags50_2 Posts: 381 Forumite
    vizcacha wrote:
    Is it ok to freeze baked beans? :confused:

Is it also ok to freeze curry sauce ?

In addition to this - is it ok to use plastic freezer bags for runny stuff like this - as I don't have the space for boxes

Sorry if this has been covered anywhere else but I'm not too sure what is ok to freeze and isn't :o

many thanks :D

Don't know about the baked beans....sorry

But...

I often freeze curry sauce.... just make sure its well defrosted and heated up when you use it again.

HTH :)
    A family that eats together, stays together

NSD 50/365
    GC JAN £259.63/£400 FEB £346.41/£350.00 MAR £212.57/£300 APR £1/£250
  • pol
    pol Posts: 643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've frozen leftover baked beans and tinned spaghetti with no problems. I usually put them in a bag and then a tupperware container, when frozen take out the container, they take up less room and stack better.

pol
    37 mrstwins squares, 6 little bags, 16 RWB squares, 1 ladies cardi, 4 boobs, 20 baby hats, 4 xmas stockings, 1 scarf, 4 prs wristwarmers
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Yes, yes and yes :D
  • Not sure about baked beans - could be worth trying it once to see how they fare in the freezer. I have frozen chickpeas (soaked and cooked) and they are fine so can't see why beans wouldn't be (unless they go to mush!)

I freeze lots of sauces in freezer bags as they take up less space in the freezer than boxes and never have any problems,.
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    vizcacha wrote:

I often put a freezer bag inside the pan/container that I will be reheating the food in - pop both into the freezer; then, once the sauce/soup/sloppy stuff is frozen, remove the bag from the pan/container and replace the bag in the freezer. I like solid shapes because I find they stack better in the freezer :)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • pollyanna24
    pollyanna24 Posts: 4,370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I use 8-10 sausages with Bisto Sausage Casserole Sauces for two people.

Today I'm making it for 3 people. If I use double the sauces and double the sauce (so I don't have an open jar), can I freeze what's left over or leave it in the fridge and heat it up again?
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
    (End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
    (End 2022) - Target £116,213.81
  • Gingham_Ribbon
    Gingham_Ribbon Posts: 31,520 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Yes. You can freeze or refrigerate it.
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • Great idea for a thread. I have 2 quickies I have always wanted to ask!
    1. Can I freeze red wine? I already do white wine in ice cube trays (great for gravy) but red wine would be good for bolognaise etc...
    2. Celery? Hubby will NOT eat, but I would find it useful for soups. If I bought a whole nunch and used 2-3 stalks for soup I would like to freeze the rest for another time. Do I need to par boil then freeze or do I freeze raw?
    Thanks for your help!
    Karyn
    Me debt free thanks to MSE :T
  • cazziebo
    cazziebo Posts: 3,209 Forumite
    Can I freeze fresh herbs? got some coriander left over from making carrot soup....

Might want to make salsa soon and so don't want to chuck it just to buy another packet...

Cazzie
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport