Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    chyperie wrote: »
    Having problems with Kenyan Airways just want to make sure my maths are correct.

Flown from Heathrow to Nairobi in Feb 2009, flight time normally 8hrs 30m

Should have taken off at 19,00 but delayed until 00.15

KA have now come back and said the according to the technical log for the flight it took off at 00.14 and arrived at 07.42 so was only 1hr 18 after its scheduled arrival time of 06.30. Fair enough at first glance, but in February Nairobi time is 3hrs ahead of London, therefore if the flight arrived at 07.42 (we know it didn't) the flight would have only have taken 4hrs 28m, an average speed of around 900 mph for the 4000 odd miles!

My maths are correct aren't they?

have you checked what flightstats shows?
  • chyperie
    chyperie Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    have you checked what flightstats shows?

Yes, it shows it took off at 00.15 but hasn't got arrival data, but there isn't anyway a plane can make up 4 hours in an 8 hour flight.
  • chyperie
    chyperie Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    chyperie wrote: »
    Having problems with Kenyan Airways just want to make sure my maths are correct.

Flown from Heathrow to Nairobi in Feb 2009, flight time normally 8hrs 30m

Should have taken off at 19,00 but delayed until 00.15

KA have now come back and said the according to the technical log for the flight it took off at 00.14 and arrived at 07.42 so was only 1hr 18 after its scheduled arrival time of 06.30. Fair enough at first glance, but in February Nairobi time is 3hrs ahead of London, therefore if the flight arrived at 07.42 (we know it didn't) the flight would have only have taken 4hrs 28m, an average speed of around 900 mph for the 4000 odd miles!

My maths are correct aren't they?

Found the answer, flight departure and arrival times are shown in flight technical logs in Zulu time (GMT) so Kenyan Airways have confirmed, inadvertently, that the flight was delayed on arrival by 4hrs 12m!
  • Boborjan
    Options
    Hi,

I was looking for answers to connecting flights + cancellation but couldn't find anything concrete enough. My situation is as follows:

I have a 3 leg, one way ticket on 3 different carriers. US-EU-Asia-Asia, where my second leg (EU-Asia) got cancelled. The airline put me on a later flight but this makes me misconnect with my third flight and there is no direct flight for 2 more days. The trip is in 9 days, I got no notification from neither the issuing airline, nor the operating airline even though they cancelled my flight almost 2 weeks ago.

My question: is this "cancellation" and can I ask for a full refund in this case? Can I just walk in to one of their offices and ask them to refund the ticket? Problem is they didn't issue it (though they can claim it and refund it if they really want) and not sure if I can do that before my trip. I would really need to fly the first leg but if I get a full refund I'm ok with just buying a separate ticket.

What if I fly the first leg and show up at the EU gateway clueless asking them to fly me back to the US + refund the unused portion of my ticket (pretty sizable pile of €€€) + get me that 600€? I fully expect them not to cooperate on any this and probably have to drag them in front of a court if I want anything out of them but I'm asking about the general principle here.

Or is this "delay', even though I'm far from checked in. So what are my options, could someone please shed some light on this. Much appreciated. :)

Cheers!
  • robster999
    robster999 Posts: 149 Forumite
    Options
    Hi. Having googled a bit I'm fairly sure I'm not being sold down the river but would appreciate the view of the experts I have read about on here.

I'm being offered compensation by means of a voucher for two of the 3 in our party but the airline are saying "Excludes free children under the Eu Regulations". Is this the case.

Many thanks in advance
  • stavros42
    stavros42 Posts: 98 Forumite
    Options
    Nowhere in the regulations does it exclude "Free" children(you probably paid a nominal sum for your child?), this is a compensation order not a refund of your ticket price. You also don't have to accept vouchers this is a cash compensation order.
  • Kelly9310
    Options
    Hi everyone,

We flew with American Airlines last September, and our connecting flight from Miami was cancelled and we had to wait nearly 8 hours for the next flight. No offer of food or drink vouchers, no real help or reason why! So I complained and they have taken months to reply, last week we received a transport voucher from them for €300, do we have to accept this? I have read on the MSE website that we are entitled to a full refund for our tickets...
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Kelly9310 wrote: »
    I have read on the MSE website that we are entitled to a full refund for our tickets...

Have you? Where have you read that?
  • Kelly9310
    Options
    Vauban wrote: »
    Have you? Where have you read that?

On the MSE website in the Flight delays section, where it states how long you were delayed by etc, it says you are entitled to a full refund if it meets certain criteria which ours did...
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Kelly9310 wrote: »
    On the MSE website in the Flight delays section, where it states how long you were delayed by etc, it says you are entitled to a full refund if it meets certain criteria which ours did...

Yes - but only if your flight was delayed by 5 hours and you choose not to take it. It seems from your post that you did take the next available flight instead? So you don't qualify for a refund.

You might be entitled to 600 Euros compensation each - but only if your ticket was a directly connecting flight from an EU airport to your final destination (ie not two separate tickets - from UK to Miami, then Miami to elsewhere), and that the cancellation was not caused by "extraordinary circumstances".

Expect a tough fight, including court action, to get any due compensation though. See the FAQs and airline specific threads for further details.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback