tech-centre.eu

Got a referral to these guys from the shopbot (google element)

has anyone used these guys, I am looking to buy an expensive DSLR camera and the basic price from these guys is low and then further "discounted". Still a tidy sum though...

Seems to be too good to be true, is it? anyone with experience of these guys?

their blurb:
We are a FREE TAX Company (Offshore Corporation), this is why we can practice the most competitive prices for electronics on the Internet. We are an online electronics and gadgets shop retailer with an aim to supply you the best price on the market for online electronics as we do not maintain a physical electronics and gadgets shop with expensive rentals and staff costs, we believe that by operating an online electronics and gadgets shop we are able to pass on the cost savings to our customers.

any experience?

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    doamin is just about to expire and has not been renewed yet , not sure if that means anything
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Would also appreciate some info on this site.

Prices are undercutting the market on average by approx 20% but sometimes as much as 60%.

Domain techcentre.eu doesn't actually resolve anywhere useful. Google shopping links to tech-centre.eu.l.shopfront.net.tc and browsing the site is using a subdomain on (tech-centre.)shop356.com

All rang alarm bells for me. Plus theres a minimum order value of ~£190.

I've always wondered about consumer protection for dodgy websites/scams after the moneys left the account. I'm sure the answers on here somewhere...
  • I was just searching for an electrical item and just got directed to it from the google price comparrison. it does look to good to be true and says it currently can't accept visa or mastercard which of course would protect you so got to be a scam maybe google should be contacted as they are directing people to it.
  • Coopdivi
    Coopdivi Posts: 3,412 Forumite
    No address and no phone number on the website. How do you contact them if something goes wrong.

And they accept Western Union payments.

Avoid.
  • Did a bit of research on this

They only support different forms of Wire - transfer.

There is no official address for the company.

.tech-center.eu.l.shopfront.net.tc = Free domain hosting.
    you can get your own myshop.net.tc from here : smartdots [dot]
    com
    A quick email from the support team revealed

X-Originating-IP: [94.213.147.201] ## IP based in Netherlands
    X-Originating-Email: [techcenter1@live.com]

So a company with a UK address based in Cypress, Abiding by US laws and operating out of Netherlands..

surely 10,000% dodgy.. Any one using them will surely never the their money!

100% avoid !
  • JAMC
    JAMC Posts: 1 Newbie
    Hmm, I share your concerns, it does seem to cheap to be true. There are however address details listed on the site (Canada, UK and Cyprus):

Mailing address:
    4915 Bathurst St. Unit # 209
    Toronto, Ont.
    M2R 1X9
    Canada

UK
    145-147 St Johns Street
    London EC1V 4PY
    United Kingdom

Cyprus Office:
    Libra Tower 4th Floor
    23 Olympion Street
    Limassol 3605
    Cyprus

Tel : +1 267 867 8031
    Fax: +1 253 322 5203
    +44 705 349 1896

At time of writing visa payment is still unavailable.

I'd like to buy an iPad, but the price does seem too good to be true :(
  • Good luck m8.

If you do get the ipad do let us know.
  • reech
    reech Posts: 58 Forumite
    I would *never* purchase anything that requires on Western Union money transfer as payment; there's no accountability when it comes to them saying they never received your payment. Western Union say that you should contact the 'receiving agent' but since anyone can set up post as being a receiving agent, then it really, really can be difficult if (when!) you get scammed using this method.

A big tech 'retailer' that can't afford, or be approved by, Visa or Mastercard? I think the addage of too good to be true might set in here :(

You're better off taking the hit on a BIG PRICE on one of these things, and purchasing it through an affiliate that gives you a reward down the line (QuidCo, Nectar, etc.) Yes, you have the big price of the item, but you then get something to offset the cost later. Safer than sending your money into the great unknown!
    ---reech!
    (looking for food!)
  • pyrocrafter
    pyrocrafter Posts: 18 Forumite
    malcolm_X wrote: »
    Got a referral to these guys from the shopbot (google element)

has anyone used these guys, I am looking to buy an expensive DSLR camera and the basic price from these guys is low and then further "discounted". Still a tidy sum though...

Seems to be too good to be true, is it? anyone with experience of these guys?

their blurb:
    We are a FREE TAX Company (Offshore Corporation), this is why we can practice the most competitive prices for electronics on the Internet. We are an online electronics and gadgets shop retailer with an aim to supply you the best price on the market for online electronics as we do not maintain a physical electronics and gadgets shop with expensive rentals and staff costs, we believe that by operating an online electronics and gadgets shop we are able to pass on the cost savings to our customers.

any experience?

I have just been scammed by this website. :(
    I like to think I am very internet savvy when it comes to scams but I had a recent personal upset and wasn't thinking straight. And their website does look very genuine.
    Stupidly, I placed two orders. One for my son and one for me.
    I paid for his through PayPoint and mine by BACS.
    No goods turned up and even though they say my order is now cancelled, the monies have not been returned.
    What really annoys me, is:
    1) Paypoint letting them have an account and, even worse
    2) They have a Barclays account with monies being transferred through Earthport plc.
    None of these companies will help getting my money back because I willingly handed it over.
    Earthport said I can get Barclays to apply for a recall but Barclays say they don't have a procedure to do that! Huh?

Please pass the word around, so no one else gets caught.
    I am continuing with my quest to bring them down by contacting various authorities.
    They don't actually own the domain name Tech-Center.eu, Their real address is: tech-center.eu.l.shopindex.net.tc. Which is Turkish, supplied, I believe by Smartdots.com. I can't contact them either. Emails are bounced.
    Their IP address (emails) however seems to be from different countries - ie USA or Sweden
    This is a copy of part of a message header if any use to anyone technical
    Return-Path: <cssupport@tech-center.com>
    Received: from imp-8.mail.tiscali.it (10.39.115.229) by mail-10.uk.tiscali.com (8.0.023)
    id 4B8392FE1266FAC6 for [EMAIL="l.woodward&#64;tiscali.co.uk"]l.woodward@tiscali.co.uk[/EMAIL]; Wed, 9 Jun 2010 21:25:16 +0200
    Received: from omr-d32.mx.aol.com ([205.188.249.130])
    by imp-8.mail.tiscali.it with
    id TvRF1e0392pZAEd01vRFo9; Wed, 09 Jun 2010 21:25:16 +0200
    Received: from imo-da03.mx.aol.com (imo-da03.mx.aol.com [205.188.169.201])
    by omr-d32.mx.aol.com (8.14.1/8.14.1) with ESMTP id o59JOagb000529
    for <l.woodward@tiscali.co.uk>; Wed, 9 Jun 2010 15:24:41 -0400
    Received: from [EMAIL="cssupport&#64;tech-center.com"]cssupport@tech-center.com[/EMAIL]
    by imo-da03.mx.aol.com (mail_out_v42.9.) id a.e11.9c71b82 (43918)

They are obtaining money by deception.
    I don't believe their addresses are genuine either.

Hope this helps others.
  • I have also just been caught out by this. I'm really annoyed. Mostly with myself because I also consider myself net-savvy. Whenever I encounter something that sounds a bit fishy I often check out this site to see if anyone has anything to say about it. For once I didn't. I've not been in the right frame of mind recently for personal reasons and in fact buying an iPad was an attempt at some retail therapy. Of course now I discover I've been ripped off, and at a time when I really can't afford to just lose that kind of money.

UKash have posted a Fraud warning on their site, but at the same time seemed to have absolved themselves of any responsibility. Is that correct?

I thought the fact that google had listed the company under their shopping bot, and that PayPoint and UKash were legit that I had just been lucky to find a bargain. Of course the truth is I've slept-walked into a con thanks to low spirits.

Can anyone tell me if there's something I can do. Who do I complain to? Do I report it to the police? Is there any chance of me getting my money back?

Thanks for any advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport