TFL at it AGAIN!!!

Options
Went on the Tube on Friday for 1 trip plus 1 bus journey.

Noticed that I'd been charged for an incomplete journey. Rang them up they as usual blamed me for not touching in or out or using the wrong or different cards so absolutely NO REFUND.

Mentioned that the journey was paid for using AndroidPay and the journey HAD been logged correctly on my phone. .2 of a second later got a refund. If you use an Oyster card or contactless card there is no way to prove that your correct so TFL pocket your money.

TFL must be making £millions out of this little scam. Can't understand why this hasn't been investigated.

Comments

• jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Log on here https://contactless.tfl.gov.uk/ and check your journey status, at least then you can see all the information. I've heard of more problems with people using Apple/Android pay so it would be better to use an actual card instead.

I have an annual travelcard so tap my Oyster card each time, but occasionally I have had a charge come through on my Amex where the reader accidentally picks up on the wrong card. I check it on the website, see the maximum fare (as the rest of the journey was completed using the travelcard) and TfL refund it, no problem as they can see my two accounts.
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    Options
    jon81uk wrote: »
    Log on here https://contactless.tfl.gov.uk/ and check your journey status, at least then you can see all the information.
    What’s that got to do with anything? I don’t use an oyster card so don’t have a TFL account.
    I've heard of more problems with people using Apple/Android pay so it would be better to use an actual card instead.
    What are all these problems? I’ve not heard of any.
    have an annual travelcard so tap my Oyster card each time, but occasionally I have had a charge come through on my Amex where the reader accidentally picks up on the wrong card. I check it on the website, see the maximum fare (as the rest of the journey was completed using the travelcard) and TfL refund it, no problem as they can see my two accounts.

If that was true you'd have 2 incomplete journeys. The irony here is that you SHOULD have paid for 2 max cash fares. Your claim that TFL fall over themselves to give you a refund would make a complete mockery of WHY TFL do it ie stop fare evasion. It’s also at complete odds to my experience.

I’ll say it again..... with AndroidPay you get a receipt that you’ve correctly tapped in and out. You don’t get that with either an oyster card or debit/credit card.
  • jon81uk
    Options
    What’s that got to do with anything? I don’t use an oyster card so don’t have a TFL account.

I linked to the page for CONTACTLESS accounts not Oyster. That website is how you get a receipt for your contactless history.
    What are all these problems? I’ve not heard of any.
    I've seen several threads on here in the past and when it first launched some news coverage about people whose battery ran out mid-journey. This was some time ago though.
    If that was true you'd have 2 incomplete journeys. The irony here is that you SHOULD have paid for 2 max cash fares. Your claim that TFL fall over themselves to give you a refund would make a complete mockery of WHY TFL do it ie stop fare evasion. It’s also at complete odds to my experience.
    It picked up my Amex at the start and my Travelcard (on an Oystercard) at the end. Travelcard is a valid ticket so no max fare on the Oyster, just on the Amex. But the day after logging into the contactless website (as linked before) I got an automatic refund of the max fare, no trouble at all. I pay £1364 a year for a Travelcard so I wasn't evading a fare and they could see that on my Oyster.
    I’ll say it again..... with AndroidPay you get a receipt that you’ve correctly tapped in and out. You don’t get that with either an oyster card or debit/credit card.
    Log into the contactless account website to get a receipt and journey history.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Jon81, just wanted to say thanks - I had not appreciated that you could get the receipts via TFL like that - have just set up an account and it is showing my receipts for the card I've registered back to November (which is when I got that card)
    Useful to know!
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • Gravedigger
    Options
    Just as a bit of thread drift. If using Apple/Android pay, make sure you have enough battery to complete the journey.
  • Mr_Singleton
    Options
    Happened again this morning.... Have been charged a max cash fare. The gate receipts on my phone show that all the tap in/outs are correct.

Am SERIOUSLY starting to wonder if this is being done deliberately. As it must be a huge cash cow for TFL.

Despite claims that TFL will auto-refund these errors its my and others experience that they won't with out proof I.e. AndroidPay of actual taping in/out which Oyster and debit cards etc don't provide.

Just warning people!
  • jon81uk
    edited 18 January 2018 at 10:42AM
    Options
    AGAIN, Log into your TfL contactless account and look at what is happening. The proof you need to get a refund will be there.
    Also if it keeps happening, I would stop using Android Pay. This sounds a lot more like an issue with you than with TfL. It is far more reliable to use a regular debit card. You do get a receipt and journey history at https://contactless.tfl.gov.uk/

Here is a screenshot showing my last incomplete journey and the option to get it refunded (I didn't do it by this method in the end so it is still showing) but it is easy to do it, TfL are not trying to make money from this
    szZeoxL.png?1
    gGJGq
  • Mr_Singleton
    Options
    You seem to have a problem grasping what I’m saying..... yes TFL do allow people to “apply” for a refund but that refund is based purely on goodwill. By using a contactless card you have no way to prove your genuine or a fare dodger trying to evade a genuine £14.90 charge.

By using AndroidPay I can PROVE that I have touched in and out correctly as I have timed gate receipts so don’t need to rely on TFL’s “goodwill”. I can get a refund regardless of TFL’s rules preventing more than 3 incomplete journey refunds per month.

You seem to claim that AndroidPay is at fault but after refunds are taken into account TFL are making around £60 million a year from incomplete journeys. TFL claimed I had 2 incomplete journeys this week for which they helped themselves to £17 from my bank account. I was able to prove them wrong. It’s Oystercard and debit card users that can’t prove it that are paying through the nose.

So, the question is if I tapped in and out correctly why and how are TFL claiming I didn’t.... that’s rather worrying question don’t you think?

I think I’ll be making a formal complaint to see what TFL have to say for themselves on the record.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Weekly capping should operate on Android Pay, so how come an additional £17 was debited from your account? What is the weekly cap for your zone?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Mr_Singleton
    Options
    Max cash fares aren’t included in capping.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure